Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Finally, My new project is here...1953 Suburban

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jhutch713, Apr 23, 2014.

1. jhutch713

jhutch713

Well, HAMBers, some of you know me and some don't. For those that don't, I moved to Savannah, GA from KY almost 2 years ago. To move 700miles I had to sell my whole stash of classic parts and 3 of my projects. I wiped it down to nothing:( All is going well and we're finally settled in pretty well.

The wait is over I finally picked up my next project and it'll be the only one I have until its an everyday driver and completely back together. She's a 1953 Chebby Suburban. I'm really a Ford guy at heart but I've always like this model suburban and wanted to try something new. Chicken is always good but sometimes a man just wants a steak... She's an old Navy recruiting van and I like that. She's overall pretty solid, some rot to deal with but nothing too bad.

Check it out, I'm leaving the patina as is for a little bit, although I will be fixing the rot issues and just blending the patina back out, eventually I'm gonna paint it right but for now, gonna get it low and running like new, all new interior(of course) and drive it as an everyday driver.

Plans: 350 chevy power plant probably an LS motor, four speed manual in the floor, new leather peanut butter interior, 3 rows of super comfy seats out of a mid-fiftes family sedan, 4 wheel disc brakes, new glass, real low stance, WWW's, steelies with beauty rings. ...and ride out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

fiftiescat likes this.
  2. jhutch713

jhutch713

Oh, by the way, the first thing the driver said to me this morning when I was accepting delivery was(complete with GA accent): "what you fit'n to do with that big ol biddie???" So I will from here on in be calling her "Big ol Biddie"

3. sadsack

sadsack

clearit and drive it.
    sadsack

4. awesome plans too. I really like any pre 72 suburban (my dd is a 68) - sounds just about how I would do one if I had it, LS, stick (might consider overdrive though) and a comfy interior. Big ol Biddy looks like she started as a "short bus".

oh, and if you have the original seats for it please be aware that people are actively searching for useable cores so don't through them out!

5. Clam shell tail gate! Very nice! What he^^^ said about original seats, but it doesn't look like they are in there. Going to upgrade the front and rear end while you're at it?

6. jhutch713

jhutch713

Thanks guys...I will be selling the front bench and smaller folding bench but I don't have the rears. They seem to be like chasing unicorns. I am definitly changing the front and rear suspension, I have a friend thats giving me a GM frame with 4 wheel discs on it and I'll probably Z it when I put the clip in. May go on and install some airbags to lay it out too... Not sure yet though.

7. jhutch713

jhutch713

Alright...moving right on along on the build. Today I got some progress done on Big Ol Biddie. Now it may not look like much by the pics, but I assure you it was a ton of work. My kiddos and I stripped the entire inside out, including the nearly 1" piece of oak plywood flooring this joker had in it, removed the hood, clamshell hatch and tailgate, seats, gas tank, exhaust, spare tire rig, 60 years of crud, pine straw and pinecones. Needless to say I was blowing some dirt out of my nose when all was said and done. Here are some pics: check em out...

Ps. there was quite a bit of swiss cheese hidded under the nifty rubber floormat and 60 years of crap...anyway, I got some metal work in my future...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's one of the passenger side Navy service decals. I like them.

[​IMG]

Next step, pull the motor/tranny, front end sheet metal and start working some metal...

8. Metaltwister

Metaltwister
    Member Emeritus

Im in the process of getting all three seat frames from a 37 Burb that are in great condition. I will be using them as patterns for the re pops Im going to be making. Wondering how different those are? Any pics of the seat frames you have there by chance? :D

9. jhutch713

jhutch713

Yeah I have some in my album and I have a different thread on here with the front ones for sale. Here they are.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. biscaynes

biscaynes

11. jhutch713

jhutch713

Progress...I got the front end sheet metal off, cleaned it up a little, stripped all the wires out, removed the radiator, started a small fire in the firewall insulation, extinguished said fire, discovered more swiss cheese, pine cones/straw... next time hopefully pull the motor/ tranny/driveshaft... We'll see...enjoy
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. jhutch713

jhutch713

Oh, by the way if anybody needs any of the motor/tranny parts for their builds, hollar at me before I run to the scrap...I'm almost positive its a 216 - 3 on the tree. Take care brothers.

13. Metaltwister

Metaltwister
    Member Emeritus

thanks for the pics of the seats... It was a huge help. :D

14. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Awesome truck. I love these Burbs.....err, Biddies.

15. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I like it, It reminds me of one that was around here that a older local guy fixed up when I was a kid back in the 80s.
    He painted his burgundy/maroon with a silver stripe around the belt line bump out, and put a new set of the old western white spoke wheels on it that were big around here on old everday pickups back then.

It was a pretty nice ole burb when he got it done and he drove it regularly.

16. Like I said- I really like these rigs and was actively looking for one this winter when I found too good of a deal on the 39 pickup I just got.
    Was talking to my uncle (my best car buddy) and he mentioned one that was here in the valley a few years back when he had his wrecking yard. It was a 49. Dude hacked off the roof- the whole thing- and cruised it everywhere for years. He knew it was a shame but he didn't have much in it and said it was the Funnest vehicle he ever owned. Too bad, but otherwise it probably would've just been scrapped anyway (mid 80s).

I'll get one someday, but need to restrain my ADD ways and focus.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

17. jhutch713

jhutch713

Thanks guys, I appreciate the encouragement and stories, thats awesome it's all about the memories, new or old.

Progress... I picked up some sanding disc and a couple clamps I've been needing to get today so I'll be ready to start some sheet metal soon. I sold the motor tranny to a guy at work, he'll be by next week to get it. Another buddy of mine is GIVING me a nice, complete gm frame with 4 wheel discs all around with white walls and nice red steelies already on it. As soon as he brings it out to me I'll be stopping sheet metal work and switching gears to stance and style for a bit. I'll clip the frame and fab in the new rear end and get her to the right ride height. Then go back to sheet metal. Hopefully I can secure a motor/tranny somewhere inbetween there...We'll see how it goes. I can't wait to get it sitting low, that'll make such a big difference. Thanks guys..be posting soon.

18. 4444Design

4444Design

nice old lady

subscribed

19. jhutch713

jhutch713

Alright check it out, this is the way I understand it... the previous owner of Big ol Biddie got her from his buddy. His buddy got her from his dad. This is a cool old time capsule pic of his buddy's dad driving Big ol Biddie on the Navy base in the late 60's. Not sure about you but to me that's pretty freaking cool. Enjoy.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
    czuch likes this.
  20. qzjrd5

qzjrd5
    from Troy, MI

Wow, that's awesome!! Good luck with the project!

21. butcherted

butcherted
    from hagerstown

Nice project, just get it running and drive it the way it is till you gather all the parts, here is a picture of mine

Attached Files:

• 008.jpg
      008.jpg
      File size:
      488.9 KB
      Views:
    • 009.jpg
      009.jpg
      File size:
      418.2 KB
      Views:
    • 011.jpg
      011.jpg
      File size:
      243.4 KB
      Views:
  22. jhutch713

jhutch713

Thanks guys, man you have a nice truck...thanks for the pics that's good inspiration.

The more I uncover rot, the more I'm starting to change my plans. I hate the thought of leave rot in a ride of mine. I'm just not a "rot ride" kinda guy. I think I'm gonna do a complete frame off now. Half the wood body blocks are split and falling out. I just don't like doing things half-way. So when my buddy brings my new frame over I think I'm gonna work it up, build sublfooring, and floorpans, then roll it out from under the body finish it up and get it all painted and pretty and install new body bushings. Thanks for the encouragement.

23. Nice zinger! R-- R-- has a new meaning.:)

24. jhutch713

jhutch713

Part zinger...100% truth...

25. iceburgh

iceburgh
    from carlisle

I am building one also... have some parts I am not using that have not sold yet. If you need anything let me know I might have it

26. jhutch713

jhutch713

Alright fellas, I've been tinking around on Ol Biddie, little progress. I'm still getting parts together in the mean time, but thus far I've gotten all the little "waste of time" stuff done on her. I've removed all the interior stuff, heater box, pedals, column, steering wheel, e-brake gear, running boards off, rear fenders off, linkages, of course the motor/tranny are gone now, disconnected all the body bolts and just organized all the chaos. Oh as you can see I've unearthed some more rot to fix. My truck buddy Kelvin is bringing my new frame out monday morning bright and early. By then I hope to have a system figured out for raising the body off the old frame??? We'll see how that goes. Can't wait to start fabbing the frame up and getting her closer to the ground...I'm tired of all the decon...ready to start recon. Next on the list in this order..frame, stance, clean, paint, subfloor, body mounts....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

27. jhutch713

jhutch713

Hello again, Kelvin finally brought me my "new" frame. I'm still not sure what make and model it is, if you guys can ID it (pic of the frame number below) for me please do so, I am gonna need to put some bushings and odds and ends small parts on it that'll I'll buy new to get her up to snuff. It looks like a late 70s nova clip and rear but its a front steer box and 4 wheel disc brakes so I'm just not sure what its off of. I'm more familiar with ford parts. Somewhere along the way someone boxed it and made a trans crossmember and built new leaf perches. Overall they did a real good job, everything measures out square and true.

I'm about to cut free the perches/hangars, move the whole rear suspension back 5.5" to get my wheelbase, raise it 4" and then Z the front under the cab 4", Then final weld and paint. Overall I'm looking for about 9" drop total. The 4" frame drop will be real close since this frame is already 3-4" shorter anyway. After I get the body mounted I'll adjust the coils a little to fine tune it and maybe blocks or new hangers to tune the rear. I'm gonna try to get the frame done this weekend...We'll see.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

28. ant79

ant79

I have a clamp shell ready to go for sale if you are interested

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

29. jhutch713

jhutch713

Alright fellas, been chugging along on Big ol Biddy. I cut the rear suspension free and moved it back to extend from a 109" wheelbase to 116" wheelbase I need. After I set it where it needed to be the rear C notch was off center worse than I thought it would be because it was offset the opposite way to begin with. So I cut it free off center 6" and I flipped the rails 180 degrees to get the difference I needed. (the pics of the flip are blurry for some reason, but you get the idea) After that I trued and squared it all up and went to town welding. The welds are a little ugly but these are the first I've laid in 2 years so I'll get back in the groove. Enjoy the pics. next I'll reconnect the leaf pearches and hangers and Z the front end of the frame.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here it was before:
    [​IMG]
    ...And here it is after with perfect clearance...
    [​IMG]

30. jhutch713

jhutch713

Ok guys. Its been a minute since I've posted anything on here. I've been pick at Biddy and she's coming along. I finished up boxing and bracing the rear part of the frame. Here's some finals on the supporting and hangars I made for the leaf springs.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]