Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My First Squarebird

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Pinstriper40, Apr 22, 2014.

1. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1957624_710104882365591_1526430190_o.jpg 1900195_10100197890629030_151466776_o.jpg 884429_10100206298993600_4630454436033924087_o.jpg I've always liked Thunderbirds. After seeing the cover of the 1959 Custom Cars Annual, I fell in love with squarebirds and the Watson style. I've always preferred the '58 or '59's over the '60 models, so when a pretty much original '59 showed up at work, I had to count my chips and push them to the middle of the table.

Now, to rewind a bit, I now live in Colorado after going on a road trip from rural Minnesota to Bonneville for speedweek last august in my '74 Ford Econoline van. I had left Minnesota with $500 and my striping kit, and I met some real cool hotrodders along the way who "got it". I ended up meeting Mike Nicholas of the Hot Rod Hillclimb September, and after he told me about the Hillclimb, I knew my vacation would be extended, and that I would be coming back through Colorado in September. After Bonneville, I striped in the SLC area, and lived with my sister while I repaired the brakes on my van, which had been tested by the numerous mountain passes. By the 12th of September, I was ready to hit the road again, much to the disappointment of the cute Mormon girl I found in Salt Lake City.

I got to Georgetown the night of inspections for the Hillclimb, and met my pal John Mack from rural Minnesota there! I didn't know he would be there, so it was a pleasant surprise. He gave me a list of people to go see in the Colorado Springs area, and on that list was Mike DeVriendt of Pikes Peak Motor Co. I did a striping job for a guy in town who introduced me to Mike, who said he was going to be in the process of moving, and I took one look around and said, "I'm going to work here, do you need help?" So, I went back to Mn to button a few things up and get a return plan together. I packed up my van and headed to Colorado in the beginning of December, not knowing if my new job was going to be part time or full time.
    Almost six months later, I'm the old parts manager here at Pikes Peak Motor Co., and I couldn't be happier.

So, back to the Thunderbird. Mike had bought it in Kansas, and it was owned for 40 years by a lady who had bought it new, then purchased by a guy who hadn't driven it for the past 15 years. I could see it needed some love.

First, I'm going to sort out the charging issues and fix the headliner and install new visors, as those are the things that really bug me. Next, it'll get a pair of Porter mufflers and bellflower tips, and hopefully by the end of the summer it'll have new wide whites and lancer caps. I had originally wanted to paint the car in a green and silver Watson style, but the stock color has really grown on me, so it may get painted the same color. It will eventually get a new interior as well.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
    Jeff Walker and Cooon like this.
  2. PC Jr

PC Jr
    from So Cal

Very nice. I'm 2 years into a full custom for my 60 bird. You can't lay an 8x10 piece of paper on any part of the car that hasn't been reworked. It's getting close to being ready for paint. Really stressed trying to pick a color. I love square and rocket birds.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. Love the 59,awesome pic by the locomotive.....turquoise/white interior?

4. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I feel ya on that one, PC... Keep on keepin' on, you'll get it done!

Thank you! Yes, it has a turquoise and white interior. I think it will down the road when I redo it, too, but I'll put pleated insterts in the seats. The seat foam is so dry that every time I drive the car I have to vacuum under the seat... That'll be on the list for next winter.

5. If ever a car was screaming for a custom paint scheme, it's a squarebird. Don't let that turquoise ocean of lacquer lull you into keeping her stock :D

Pinstriper40 likes this.
  6. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

welcome to the club!

Looks like you scored a nice one

7. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I love squarebirds, and the thing I love most about them are the FE engines in them. They have a distinct sound to them, to me anyway.

8. toml24

toml24

That photo with the diesel is simply outstanding!

Attached Files:

Pinstriper40 likes this.
  9. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know, I know... If It does get a different paint scheme, it'll be in the Watson style with greens.

Thanks! It's a pretty rust free car, there are a few dents and dings, but hey, it's 55 years old!

I think the 352 sounds pretty neat. I ordered a pair of bellflower tips last night; hopefully by the beginning of June I'll have the exhaust done.

Thank you! The Royal Gorge train is a bit of local history.

10. Now yer talkin' :D

11. Fullraceflathead

Fullraceflathead

I have a 1960 that is available if someone else is looking for a Square Bird. It's all Original, My parents bought it new. Needs TLC but it's all there. I'm in Riverside, Ca.

12. toml24

toml24

We would sure like to see photos from every possible angle, just to appreciate the style.

13. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Very NICE! I've got a thing for '61s

14. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1398903810846.jpg 1398903833670.jpg 1398903854708.jpg I mocked up the new bellflower tips today, and here's what I ended up with. I had ordered 30" tips, but I think they may be too long. The 24" tips would end right near the middle of the rear bumper, or at the bottom most curve. Your thoughts?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  15. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

I agree the 30 inchers are a tad long. :(

16. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The more I look at the 30" pipes, the more I like them. I think I'll stick with them for now.

Last edited: May 2, 2014
  17. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nothing really to report, but I did cruise the Tbird about 250 miles last weekend. I found out my generator still isn't charging. More little maintenance stuff to do I guess... It's the joy of owning and old car!

18. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Quick question for all you Watson fanatics out there- the front bumper bullets on Larry's '58 thunderbird- where they trimmed spotlights made to fit or cal custom bullets? I'm sure there were not aftermarket bumper bullets specifically for a Tbird. Any input would be appreciated.

19. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

i tried to figure that out too without any luck. im going to try and trim some accessory bullets to fit mine. ill let you know how it goes

20. GRUNDY

GRUNDY
    from Minnesota

Went with seapray green with a black top. Thought it looked better than the white top

21. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I found a pair of skirts for the Tbird at the LA roadster show last weekend. I probably won't install them until I paint the car, but it was good to find them.

22. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

10551633_10100272579811310_4135512724558413516_o.jpg OK- so I've made progress on this car since I've bought it, but nothing picture-worthy yet. I've installed a Pertronix ignition system, gathered up all the parts necessary to re-do my brake system, (I did get by with driving it 3,000 miles on borderline brakes last year, but I'd rather feel good about 'em) I've got a new pair of Porter steel pack mufflers and bellflower tips, and a new set of 8.00x14 Bias Ply BFG wide whites (yet to be installed).

I'd like to lower the car at the same time as doing exhaust, since it'll be on the lift anyway. So, my question is, how did you lower your squarebird? It appears to me that it needs to be dropped 2" in the front and 3" in the back to level things out.

Do you have before and after (or just after) pictures of your bird? How much did you lower it? What method was used in lowering it? How is the ride quality compared to factory? I've heard Aerostar coils can be used in the front, and lowering blocks can be used in the rear of course, but I'm not real familiar with lowering (I just used a dropped axle in my '40) and so any help or opinions would be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance!

23. PC Jr

PC Jr
    from So Cal

Dropped axles in the front with ride-tech bag/shocks. The rear is a 4 link with bags and separate shocks. The rear needed a significant amount of fabrication and underbody modification. I cant tell you how it rides yet, but it looks pretty nice to my eye.

24. TraditionalKustoms

TraditionalKustoms

Looks like a fun project! Glad to know you're putting a set of 8.00 x 14's on ... that will make a huge difference visually!

For a mild lowering one way to approach is cutting a coil off of the front springs or using lowering springs. You're not looking to drop super deep so either method shouldn't affect your ride quality. As for the back with the '59 and '60's being leaf sprung you could look into lowering blocks. Again, you're not going for a big drop.

I have a soft spot for the squarebirds. I have a '58 that I'm slowly working on. The rear suspension is a totally different animal since it's a 1-year only coil suspension. I still haven't completely decided what I'll be doing as it needs a rebuild anyway.

Pinstriper40 likes this.
  25. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

For lowering, here is what I did (so far)
    Aerostar coils up front. Now I haven't driven the car since I installed these...so the jury is still out on those. They fit, as the diameter of both are the same...however it dropped the front end 3" which looks great, but I'm not sure how the ride will be. I couldn't find anyone who had done the aerostar swap into the squarebird, so I took a leap of faith. Worst case scenario is I will have to resort back to the stock springs and cut them down. As for the back, I just made 2.25" lowering blocks and had a spring shop make longer U bolts...I think it cost me $40 to lower the rear. Once I get it back on the road in the spring/summer I will let you know if the Aerostar coils work or not.

26. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great! Thanks for the advice. I think we'll cut the coils up front and use blocks in the rear. I just want it to sit low enough that when I take pictures like the one above ^^^ you won't be able to see daylight under the car. And thanks, John! I'll send you some pictures when I get things "squared" away. It's supposed to be nice this weekend, so I may change tires then.

27. I did a re-suspension in my sons 1959 Bird about a decade ago. Posted on ynottayblock's thread
    Dropped spindles with disc brakes in the front.
    In the rear I didn't like the u-shaped leaf mounts so I removed them. Took the gas tank out and bored a 1-1/4 hole thru the frame on each side so I could install a "normal" straight down shackle. I had to do a lot of measuring for the correct location of the holes front to back. Welded in a piece of 1/4 inch plate on each side of the sheetmetal frame also with a 1-1/4 hole in it. I used a piece of 1-1/4 OD DOM to line up the plates. Welded the DOM in and made shackles out of steel plate with multiple spring mount points for height adjustment. The DOM has the same ID as the rubber inserts for the bolts.
    I cut the extra off after they settled. I also drilled the main leaf centering bolt hole about 1" farther back so the rear wheels are centered in the wheel well. Used a C-6 trans which is longer so the drive shaft was OK.
    No pictures of the spring mounts, it's in Michigan . But here is a picture with the rear too high. It's been lowered since then. Notice the tire position. 59BirdSide.jpg

Pinstriper40 likes this.
  28. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, as soon as my tax return shows up you'll all get an update. I've found some chrome bullets for the bumpers and taillights, and I've been doing some mechanical things (New generator, voltage regulator, master cylinder, etc..) but other than that the progress has been slow. A lot will happen in the next few weeks! I've decided to drop the bellflower tips and go with some 80" lake pipes instead. They won't be installed until the end of the month, but by then everything else will be in tip-top shape so it'll be like icing on the cake.
    10985545_10100392080176620_1929287941900134293_n.jpg Stay tuned...

selohssa, 50fish and y'sguy like this.
  29. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

Nice choice with the lake pipes. I personally never thought bellflowers looked right on a squarebird. If I were to do my car over again I would have done frenched lake pipes like the pic below. The squarebird rocker panel is the perfect shape for it.
    [​IMG]

30. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I might do that down the road- I plan on cleaning up the interior next winter and doing paint/ all the rubber seals/ windshield the winter after that.