Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Dodge Wayfarer Ford 302 Retrofit

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by madman mike, Apr 24, 2014.

1. madman mike

madman mike
    from Central NJ

Hey All.

Just been scrubbing the forum and see a lot of posts about Wayfarers being fit with either Mopar or Chevy V8s.

Anybody know of a Ford 302 going into one of these? Got any pictures to share of this set up?

Thanks
    Mike

2. Not that it matters about fit but what year and body style wayfarer do you have? I'd say the only possible issue would be what style drivers side exhaust manifolds are available. Do you plan on using the stock frame or clipping it?

3. George

George

Mopar V8s from pick ups and vans, and Chevys have rear sumps so they drop in fairly easily. The newer Fords have the double sump & older ones are front sump making fitment a bit more of a problem, but people have put some in.

4. madman mike

madman mike
    from Central NJ

Yeah...I have a mid 80s 302...double sump oil pan. Matching it up with a T5 trans and 8" ford rear end. Got it at the shop...they guy is installing a power rack and pinion as well...just wanted some reference pics to help the guy doing the work out.
    Hope this helps ..and any help is appreciated.

thanks
    Mike

5. madman mike

madman mike
    from Central NJ

My car is a 49 Wayfarer.

6. George

George

I'd say it's all about the sump. See how far in you can drop it in & see if you have hood clearance. Think everything else should be easyer to work out.

7. mammyjammer

mammyjammer
    from Area 51

Early Broncos have a rear sump and you can order a brand new pan with a pick up from a Early Bronco parts suppliers such as Tom' Bronco Parts

8. George

George

The oil pump is still up front, that's where the clearance with the crossmember gets involved.

9. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

Here's one I clipped with a 2nd gen F body subframe for a friend. 350/350. Posi. Tilt. All from the donor Z-28.

Radiused the rear fenders for him too.

[​IMG]

10. chriseakin

chriseakin

Ford Econolines had a rear sump too, at least the '70 E200 I got from my dad did.

11. George

George

The oil pan has to clear the O/P. Don't know how close the distance is on the double sump pan vs the rear sump pan, one may be tighter to the O/P than the other. If the distance is the same the double sump might have more clearance @ the mid point than the rear sump pan. What I was trying to say earlier is you may have to mount your engine higher than you'd like because of the clearance @ the front of the pan.