Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 29 whippet build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pepsInHouston, Mar 19, 2014.

1. pepsInHouston

pepsInHouston
    from Houston

Hi all, been a lurker for a number of years here. I have a 51 shoebox that ive restored with the help of many on here without you even knowing it :).
    Now my current project is a 1929 Whippet i picked up a swap meet a few weeks ago and already started to order parts with the help of milwscruffy via PM's I'm off to a good start.
    the plan is, 4" drop straight axle, spring over, split bones, disc in front (and rear) not sure on the rear suspension yet, pie cut the frame, replace the subfloor with tube (wood is shot) replace the door wood with new wood. It already has a 4" chop (tack welded).
    it came with a 10" GM rear with disc, all the sheet metal fenders, front and back, hood, running boards which most or all of that i wont use.
    if i can post a pic of what i got and what I want it to look like, ill see if i can make it work.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and the look I am aiming for

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. pepsInHouston

pepsInHouston
    from Houston

I started with the doors since they looked like one of the biggest challenges. I do have woodworking experience and almost a full wood shop in the garage.
    this is the before and after of the first door.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was going to use door panels but i think Ill leave them just the way you see it.

Last edited: May 28, 2014
    volvobrynk and tb33anda3rd like this.
  3. Good you had the orig wood as pattern.You could skin over with 1/4" hardwood ply stained and/or sealed.Nice work btw.

4. pepsInHouston

pepsInHouston
    from Houston

Thanks Tex, but I think I like the "raw" look of it the way it is :D

5. Roger53

Roger53

Nice start keep the pic's coming. Roger

6. pepsInHouston

pepsInHouston
    from Houston

did some work on the front end. I removed the front cross brace and put in a early ford front cross member from Speedway. fits very nice, no mod needed. then spring over, dropped axle with front early ford spindles and front disc brake kit from Speedway.
    [​IMG]

7. pepsInHouston

pepsInHouston
    from Houston

threw on some tires.
    [​IMG]

8. Looks like a great start!

9. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

I like the look of that Whippet body. Nice project!

10. Well that is a neat project. I don't normally suggest thsi but that old sedan may be a real ganster mobile with the fenders. If it gets channeled and the fenders don't get channeled ( move the reveal for the rears) it would have it in spades.

Ok back to your project, cool project. I do like the direction you are headed.

11. Andrew Williams

Andrew Williams

i like it too, it's making a nice project.

12. pepsInHouston

pepsInHouston
    from Houston

Went to Pate swap meet and picked up a SBC 350/365 hp vortex motor and turbo 400 trans and changed out the transverse spring. I had the speedway spring, too tall and too stiff. ill get the new tires on this week and should get a better stance then.
    [​IMG]

13. pepsInHouston

pepsInHouston
    from Houston

got a few more things done on the hot rod, C notched the frame in the rear to get it lower, working on the air bag rear suspension, and motor placement. here are a few more pics to look at. Still working on restoring the wood in the doors.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. BradinNC

BradinNC

Your car is coming along very well. Great job on your door repair! I just picket up an 30 98B (1930 version of 29 Whippet) coach, similar to a Ford Tudor. I don't have a windshield, noticed you have one that looks original. I'd like to duplicate it as closely as possible to get the fit correct. Could I convince you to get some measurements and photos of the critical areas? I'm also unsure what goes in the curved area above the windshield frame next to the roof. Any idea?
    Sorry for the hijack. Will continue on my own thread. Brad

Last edited: May 24, 2014
  15. pepsInHouston

pepsInHouston
    from Houston

send me a PM and Ill get you the info on the windshield dims

16. pepsInHouston

pepsInHouston
    from Houston

replaced the wood sub floor with steel tubes and made a transmission mount. opened the posi rear end and it all looks pretty good inside, Ill replace the axle bearing and seals and add rear disk brakes in the next couple of weeks.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and added a visor from a model A after market seller, Had to section out 1.5" on each side to make it fit.

[​IMG]

trans mount

[​IMG]

17. pepsInHouston

pepsInHouston
    from Houston

working on the firewall and playing with radiator placement[​IMG]

18. pepsInHouston

pepsInHouston
    from Houston

beginning work on the firewall, when i got the car, the firewall had already been reversed and tack welded in place.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. pepsInHouston

pepsInHouston
    from Houston

still in progress
    [​IMG]

volvobrynk likes this.
  20. weps

weps
    from auburn,IN

Not to be a dick, but you should really rethink your link mounts welded to the cast iron center section. You can: A) go with a ford 8 or 9 inch which are made of stamped steel and perfect for this,
    Or B) get a heavy duty aftermarket diff cover that is thick and has an extended 'tab' on the top that you can attach your link mounts to. (Rockcrawlers use these)

21. benchseat4speed

benchseat4speed
    from Golden, CO

Agreed. That's really sketch dude. Any 64-72 A-body housing has ears cast into the center for the factory upper links, so you could retain your 4-link idea exactly the way it is. prolly have to redo your mounts on the frame tho.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

22. pepsInHouston

pepsInHouston
    from Houston

since the housing is cast steel and not cast iron, I am comfortable welding to it. but thanks

Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
  23. pepsInHouston

pepsInHouston
    from Houston

got the new radiator (for 32 chopped) and cut the grill shell to fit around the front cross member.
    [​IMG]
    the radiator looks closer than it really is in the pic, its about 1.5" away from the front of the water pump

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. david_s914

david_s914

WOW !!!! I just came across this ...... Kick ass build !! I am working on a Whippet sedan that is either a 29 or 30 !! I would like to ask a few questions about certain parts of your build that I am having some trouble with .... if you dont mind !!

25. pepsInHouston

pepsInHouston
    from Houston

ask away, Ive been on vacation but back on the build now. Ill answer whatever i can

26. david_s914

david_s914

Cool ..... I will see if I can take your pics, if that is ok, and photoshop into them what I need the dimensions of so that I can get my body close to what it needs to be. How does the reversed firewall affect the cowl vent ??

27. david_s914

david_s914

body4.jpg body2.jpg
    body01.jpg

peps .... I hope that all of this makes sense !! I hope that I'm not asking too much also !! Thanks for whatever help you can offer !!!!!

28. pepsInHouston

pepsInHouston
    from Houston

it does make sense, and if you will email me, you will get a faster response.
    [email protected]
    ill take some measurements this weekend for you.

29. pepsInHouston

pepsInHouston
    from Houston

took it all back down to raw frame and finish welded everything that was just tacked on the frame. then painted it with rust encapsulater from Eastwood (great stuff BTW) and put the front end back on. Then made a bracket for the Vega steering box.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

30. pepsInHouston

pepsInHouston
    from Houston

some pics of Sat work. got the motor and rear in bolted back in, steering connected, headlight brackets made and mounted, and still working on the grill for the grill shell.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

tb33anda3rd likes this.