Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Project '47 Nash

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bpg_austin, Apr 17, 2013.

1. v8spence

v8spence

A little update as I have not been doing much to mine as I have to vacate my industrial unit so struggling to find somewhere to move to.....

I needed to remove the dash as the wiring loom was cracking and causing problems and when I removed the dash the windshield had leaked causing rusty patches.
    So, I rubbed them down and zinc primed the dash.
    The parts of the dash I took off, I rubbed them down and painted them gloss black and polished the raised edges.
    I then found a couple of tins of old copper paint (god knows why I had them!) and experimented by spraying the dash!
    I was impressed so I chucked a couple of coats of lacquer over the top and tested the alloy cover out.

I have to say, I love it!

Attached Files:

2. bpg_austin

bpg_austin
    from Austin, TX

Spence, that is COOL man! Your copper looks surprisingly close to our trim color in post #108. Our dash will be white though. Keep the progress coming. :) The black ribs look great! We were able to save our heringbone pattern by scrubbing with a toothbrush and some toothpaste. They won't ever look new again, but we're attempting to keep the dash original best we can.

Clay and I have been busy with other work these past few months, so not much progress on the Nash. Still here though, and will post up when we're able to get some more work finished.
    BG

3. v8spence

v8spence

thanks. I am really pleased with it but....
    i just went to fit the steering wheel and i have forgotten how the horn goes back on, do you have an exploded diagram of the horn push components?

4. bpg_austin

bpg_austin
    from Austin, TX

Sorry Spence, I don't have any diagrams for the horn assembly. Mine is in pieces in a plastic bag somewhere on a shelf right now.

5. Great paintjob!!!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. pm5471

pm5471
    from WISCONSIN

Great project, i have the same 600 coupe and same color. Mine has bad rust in the unibody that i will have to repair because you just don't see these cars.I have never repaired this kind of rust but i like this car and am determined to save it. If anyone has pictures of this kind of repair that would be great. Keep up the great work as i am following your build and loving it.

pete

7. bpg_austin

bpg_austin
    from Austin, TX

Thanks Pete! Hey, post a few pictures of your car for us. Ours also has some unibody rust. Some substantial, some cosmetic. We won't be tackling it ourselves though. Just dropping it off at a resto shop when the time comes. I suspect I'll be watching YOUR progress instead. :)
    Clay and I have been working just a bit again lately. We're in the middle of washing down the engine rotating assembly in the parts washer. Should be zipping up the engine in a few weeks. (yes. finally.)
    Welcome aboard Pete. Glad there's one more 600 owner in the heard.

Ben

8. pm5471

pm5471
    from WISCONSIN

I won't be working on mine till next year.but until then i will be watching your progress and looking for more web sites to learn from.

pete

9. bpg_austin

bpg_austin
    from Austin, TX

well.. we're back... I think its been a year or more? The ol' Nash is still in the garage, but not forgotten. We're getting ready for our low-gloss clear. Hoping to apply either this weekend or next. We've also picked up a few bits and pieces over the past year off e-bay. NOS clutch and pressure plate and a few other things we'll need.
    so... good to be back!

Ben

Attached Files:

10. pm5471

pm5471
    from WISCONSIN

So glad to see your back.

pete

11. oldwood

oldwood
    from arkansas

Lookin Good!!! I'm glad to see you keeping it original in the Engine and Trans dept. Its refreshing to see original stuff versus a SBC. One cool looking 2dr with da fat bottom. lol

12. bpg_austin

bpg_austin
    from Austin, TX

Low gloss clear DONE. We had a great laugh once things started to dry. "hey Clay, looks like we didn't do anything now that its dry. Is there really clear on there?"
    "yes. yes there is."

The low gloss did even out the finish quite a bit and it does have that silky, smooth, satin look and feel. Overall a huge improvement in the overall look as well as protecting our rust. We're extremely happy with this as a garage paintjob. Now, time to start polishing our chrome and reinstalling. This will really be the fun part. Putting her back together. :)

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55 and pm5471 like this.
  13. cw1949

cw1949

Post some side shots so we can see how it looks. Looking forward to some pictures with the trim on!

14. bpg_austin

bpg_austin
    from Austin, TX

What's up Corey!

Post_clear side shots. :)
    No trim installed yet, but can't wait to get started.

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55 and gmpenn like this.
  15. pm5471

pm5471
    from WISCONSIN

any progress?

16. bpg_austin

bpg_austin
    from Austin, TX

Not too much really. Just a bit of chrome polishing here and there and bolting on some tail lights. And some powdercoating of engine tin. Making a trip to the blast shop sometime soon and will be dropping off the wheels to get ready to coat. I think we're going off-white on them but have to check with my co-conspirator. Thanks for the inquiry pm5471. I'll try to post up here a bit more often.

pm5471 likes this.
  17. gmpenn

gmpenn

Hi all It's been a while but it's been a long winter I had to have my engine rebuilt it was tired, compression was down to about 60 in most cylinders evidently it was rebuilt before or should I say some parts were replaced, the oil pickup was 75 percent blocked, the head was warped had to take .007 off .005 off the block, pistons had to be bored 30 over, crank had to ground 10 under the biggest problem was the pistons the supplier sent 4 ring pistons instead of 3, needless to say it took over a month sending parts back and forth to get what I have now 4 ring pistons and the list goes on and on winds up it took 3 month to get my engine back and finally got my car back on the road but it doesn't end there a week later my trans failed in a big way, who ever rebuilt it installed sealed bearings but removed one side of the seal but it was the wrong side so the open side of the bearings were away from the oil the rear bearing failed and one of the bearings got caught between a gear and the housing and put a hole in the housing so far I have not been able to find a new trans so I am going to try and use some JB Weld wish me luck
    Gary

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  18. pm5471

pm5471
    from WISCONSIN

19. pm5471

pm5471
    from WISCONSIN

anything new?