Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Gene Winfield custom found

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by cabong, Dec 27, 2013.

1. cabong

cabong

Sometimes I absolutely empress myself, with just how stupid I can be. I punched in a long reply and then got told I couldn't post it. My token is too short. Hells Bells, I been told that for decades.
    I'll make this shorter.
    Surgery went well (direct inguinal canal hernia). Eight weeks of 10 pound max lift. Now Nick and I are both gimps, cep'n he still has to throw around those magnificent Halibrand chunks.
    The closer it came to reservation time, the more adamant Leland got on a non-fade for his "Honeymoon Hauler" (nuther story), and Gene as equally adamant on a fade. Well, it's Leland's choice. Gene was extremely gracious, and will still come for a visit, but once the kemp is in color with chrome.
    When I took the pieces to Ogden for chrome, I took a couple pieces for Nick's sedan delivery. One was the glove box door frame, a really neet art deco piece. Ogden Chrome thought it was pot metal, as did Nick and I. Not to be. It went into the striping solution like a fish, and came out like the bones. So sad, too bad...... Well, to O.C.'s credit, they are extremely apologetic, and will do everything they can to rectify the situation. Kudos to them. A great bunch of kats.

2. 58 Delpala

58 Delpala
    from NC

Came back to this site today for the first time in over a year and this thread will keep me coming back till the car is done!

Kudos to you, Nick and everyone involved with this car. It is truely AWESOME to see. Having met Gene at one of the classes he gives i know how much he loves those fades but I am glad that Leland and you are doing the right thing keeping it one color.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. The right way is Leland's way.

4. koolkemp

koolkemp

Gene thinks everything he paints needs a fade job lol!

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  5. cabong

cabong

Well, I was able to pick up an NOS glove box door for Nick, and it looks great. I'm planning on heading for Ogden in the next couple days to pick up the brightwork.
    Travis and Cory are waiting for just the right day to lay down the "burple". They have a really nice booth, but even that is affected by wind and dust, so they like the conditions to be perfect.
    Leland and Margene are all atwitter with anticipation.............and I might add, so am I, and Nick, and Ken, and Travis, and Cory, and many more!!!!!!

chryslerfan55 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  6. safari-wagon

safari-wagon

Stop the twitterin' & git ta paintin'!!!

We're ALL dying to see the finished car!

Seriously, you guys are doing great! Is KS in the future?

Beamed in via H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. cabong

cabong

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Notice the pics come first this time. No need for idle chit chat. It's deceivingly blue, but not really. The hood shows more purple, and anything "blue" next to the kruizer really makes the blue go away. The pearl i.l.o. metallic really stands out on accents. With the chrome and white top, and sombrero's, this will be a knockout. I want to take the burpleodian over to Lelands, with the trim and top for their nod. Burpleodian!!! Hell yes. Nothing makes sweet music like a great kruizer, and the color just makes it better.

8. RussTee

RussTee

Great job the colour really makes it pop you and Leland must be feeling proud now cant wait to see it finished

9. 208custom

208custom

Wow! Looks awesome, you guys have done a great job. I'm waiting patiently to see it with the top and the shiny stuff on.

10. Squablow

Squablow

Paint looks nice! Was anything ever decided for side trim?

11. Torchie

Torchie

Wow Indeed.
    Colors are all but impossible to get true pics of but as you say the hood shot shows more of the purple. And inside under lights it will look different again.
    Top and chrome trim will really set off the paint.
    Great job and keep it up as we are all watching.
    Torchie.

12. safari-wagon

safari-wagon

Burple-licious!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. Funny how that first picture makes the body look so blue, but you can see the purple on the wheels pretty good. Can't wait to see it with all the chrome and the white top. Gonna look great!

14. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

15. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Beeeeautiful! Can't wait to see her with some chrome. :)

16. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

Fantastic ! Can't wait to see it in person. Who will do the top and interior? Still trying to find time to get over to see it. Jack

17. racer_dave

racer_dave

Damn, drooled into the keyboard... Excellent color choice.

18. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

What a major upgrade over the color when you started! Can't wait to see the trim installed on it!

19. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:eek:Delighhtful.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

20. Applause from the masses!

21. cabong

cabong

Hey all.....Thanks from all of us for the kudos....we have had more fun than is legal in some states. The only comments I've had that weren't very positive have to do with the color looking more blue than purple. Well that's kinds the idea......Soooooo, check out the pics and compare the color to the plastic curtain dividing the rooms, or the metal cabinet. I can't begin to describe just how nice this color turned out. Travis and Cory need to take a couple curtain calls for what they have done. WOW!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I realize this last pic didn't turn out to good, but you get the picture, so to speak, of just how Kool this color really is.
    I am leaving early tomorrow for Chromesville, the the real fun starts. Keep tuned.....
    Notice how the "purple" interior doesn't seem quite so purple, when exposed to Burple.
    Grins abound!!!!!!!!

22. Amazing colour, I can't wait to see the chrome 'pop' against it.

23. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

Is the dash painted a different color?

24. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I'm a little color blind and even I can see it's got enough purple in it to not be blue. I like that it's not a full purple, and has a nice blue influence.

25. George

George

Beat me to it! inquiring minds want to know!:)

26. Torchie

Torchie

Looks like dash is the old color of the car perhaps.
    Great job on the paint Team Leland:D
    Torchie.

27. cabong

cabong

Brought back the chrome stuff from Ogden yesterday, and Nick and I looked at it all today. WOW!!!!!! After all the cutting, splicing, whacking, pounding, it turned out dead nuts perfect. I mean perfect. I looked at one of the grille ends while still there, and couldn't believe how nice it was, since there's not much thickness to work with. I sked one of the young office guys how the heck they do it, out in the shop. His answer was, I donno.....I think maybe they have a direct line to the chrome gods, and late at night when everyone is gone, they come down and play. In the morning, wallahhh!!! all nice and straight.
    Even the front bumper is perfectly smooth. I have had lots of '55 and '56 Fords, and never have I seen a bumper as nice.
    I am soooo anxious to start putting this purple puppy back together. Nick and I will probably start Monday night.