Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Model A King Pin lock bolt too small?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mason71, Apr 20, 2014.

1. mason71

mason71
    from Edmond, OK

As you can see in the photo this lock bolt that came with my spindle kit is too small and doesn't engage with the king pin. Are there different sizes of this bolt?
    Thanks for any help!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
  2. Can't see the picture.....

3. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Just see red X's.

4. mason71

mason71
    from Edmond, OK

Sorry pics weren't working posting from my phone.

5. I can see them. Can you try a V-8 cotter? That one is very small !! JW

6. mason71

mason71
    from Edmond, OK

Thanks, didn't realize there was a V8 size.

7. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

Ive found the new pins are like that. I try to find originals and they seem to fit better.

8. alchemy

alchemy

I seem to remember the grooves in the pin not reaching the end. Looks like yours was cut too far. Find another pin.

There's no difference between the pins from 28-48 on passenger cars. (But some people say the V8-60 tube axle has a special pin, I can't confirm)

9. DICK SPADARO

DICK SPADARO
    Member Emeritus

I think the issue is that your king pin kit got mixed parts or the axles has been fooled with. Is it new stuff or swap meet stuff? The correct Ford king pin lock pin 32-48 measures about .550 at the top diameter, if your king pin lock measures .500 it is from a 49-53 kit. The 37 -40 tube axle king pin lock can be easily spotted as it long with the long acorn head spindle stop as part of the head and a nut to tighten on the opposite side. That looks like an old stretched axle so check that someone didnt just drill the hole out to clean it up.

10. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

The hole should be no bigger than .562 and the OD of the pin on all [new and old stuff] that I have are at .560..You could [if the axle hole is big] put some weld on the pin diameter and turn to a larger size which may or may not not be enough..Maybe have to put a shallower notch in the king pin..

11. mason71

mason71
    from Edmond, OK

Awesome info, thanks I'll look into it. I have a call in to the gentleman that stretched it.

12. mason71

mason71
    from Edmond, OK

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looks like the bore is .565. My king pin locks are too small.

Can anyone suggest a place to get larger locks?

Thank you!

13. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

V8-60 pins! DD

Attached Files:

14. Good luck finding a pair...

15. I don't see grooves in the shank of the V-8 60 pins in your picture, so out of curiosity, did the original V-8 60 king pins have normal squared off notches or half round notches like the early Model A king pin shown in the middle of the attached picture?

The early A lock pin at the bottom of the picture also looks similar; but maybe larger in diameter than the pins in your picture (the A lock pin is 9/16" like the later lock pins).

I've taken several of the V8 tube axle front ends apart; but they all had the regular lock pins installed in them by the time I got at them

Attached Files:

• pins.jpg
      pins.jpg
      File size:
      87.8 KB
      Views:
  16. Mart

Mart

If you are still having problems it might be possible to build up the locking wedge part with weld and carefully file it back until the required fit is obtained. If the axle were bare, that is no spindle or kingpin in place, the pin should be a good fit in the hole. The pin is generally round and should fit the hole closely. if it does not fit, the hole may have been drilled oversize or effected by stretching while dropping. If the hole is oversize it may be possible to wrap the pin with shim stock. You need to find out what is correct and what is not correct and take appropriate action.

Mart.

17. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

RICH B...To try to answer your question, I just went out and fondled one of those pins. The shank is fully ROUND...no slots. It is similar in appearance to the "A" lock pin at bottom of your pic, but has a longer shank. The OD of the shank measures 0.4625". It fits the holes in the tube axle snugly. This axle came out of a really original 43K mile, single-family-owned since new, totally un-molested '39 60-horse standard coupe that was restored as an 85 hp car with a beam axle. I DID NOT get the original KING pins with it. The ROUND cross section of the pins snug-into the normal squared-off notches in repro king pins perfectly with a perceptible interference fit. Absolutely an ODDBALL dimension on the lock pins...0.4625" is slightly less than 15/32". I've often wondered if maybe Roy Nacowics may supply them. DD

18. mason71

mason71
    from Edmond, OK

So I took the advice from one of the guys at Nostalgia Sids in Guthrie Oklahoma. Put two bolts on the threads and heating the big end to a glowing red color then gave it a few nice whacks with a big hammer to swell it out to a larger diameter. Worked great!