Register now to get rid of these ads!

My new project 1951 Buick

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by aw1950, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Thanks Steve , You getting anything done on the 47 lately ?

2. For anyone watching my build , opinions needed . Bumperettes and over rider on or off ! I think I like the clean look ! Then there's the issue of what to do about the licence plate . Where to mount it ???

Attached Files:

3. The back end after todays progress I know it looks a lot like what has already been posted but there is progress none the less . The trunk gaps are coming along nicely although its hard to tell in these shots and I am in process of fabricating the second taillight bucket . These 49 ford taillights are frenched 1". If I think of it when I get back to it I will show how I fabricate a bucket . Its really very simple :rolleyes: Andy..

Attached Files:

4. nice progress and build ....

5. timelord

timelord

6. SimonsaysGo

SimonsaysGo
    from SW Ohio

I like the bumperettes and overridder. The overridder has 2 license plate holes too. Looking great Andy!!

7. LONG

LONG

no to overrider. makes it look too Buick. if you are going for custom. if you want it to still be Buick then add it. just my thoughts.

8. Thanks for your imput guys I think that I have decided to go sans the bumperettes after all ! Thanks for the + comments . Andy..

9. fiddy windy

fiddy windy
    from S.Carolina

My brother has a 51' 4 door with ole fireball. Love that car had a killer stance .

I got H.A.M.B apps for that!

10. koolkemp

koolkemp

Yep still plugging away at it, got lots of little things done over the winter ,some reassembly, cleaning and painting small stuff, got the body mounts all done and body bolted down chopped the vent windows( that was fun:eek:) and a bunch of other stuff , maybe this weekend I can get some some more recent pics up before I get run outta this place :rolleyes:. Not likely to be on the road this year but I am gonna take it for a drive up my street before xmas one way or another!

11. hacknwhack

hacknwhack
    from mass

I have most of the original window parts . From my 51 If you need spares
    Oe bumpers and more.

Im trying hard to keep up with your progress. I feel like it's race to the finish.

12. Looking really good Andy! I'm torn on the bumperettes and overrider. I like it the look with and without them. I'm sure which ever you decide it will look great.

13. hacknwhack

hacknwhack
    from mass

Im torn on the bumperets. too
    If you must have a bumperett
    Maybe try something smoother.
    How about this one:
    Mid 50s pontiac split bumper centers with small dagmar bullets on each end?
    (IGot a pair on the wall)
    Similar to a keiser overider popular on mercs.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

14. I think I know who would win that one Shane :rolleyes: . I just bought two dividers and vent window assemblies from a guy in Saskatchewan up here . Their in great shape , paid $50.00 a piece for them . I never thought of yourself , I guess I just assumed that you threw out all the stock Buick stuff ! What would you want for the front bumper ? Is it straight? Pictures ?? Mine is tweaked and has a fair sized side impact dent on the right side . I suppose the shipping from you to me would be cost prohibitive for me . It would ship oversize , $$$$ Andy..

15. That's a nice looking smooth custom looking piece for sure . It would go well on mine for sure , $$ you would need for that over rider or were you just giving a idea for me . I have a complete 49 Mercury over rider but the bumperette profile does not even come close to the buick bumper profile . My luck ! It would take some ingenuity to reprofile the Mercury to fit . Interested in a trade straight up ?

16. hacknwhack

hacknwhack
    from mass

I'll send pics asap

Sent from my SPH-L720 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. Thanks for your input Dave ! Get back at the truck soon , I've been watching for some activity. Allergies are terrible and can put you down for a term for sure . I may look at the 49 Mercury over rider again and see if I can re contour it to fit or maybe trade someone for another style :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Shane! you there !!! LOL !

18. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good call. I'm with Dave, I love this old shit, love the bumperettes & overriders, but like somebody else said . . . not for a custom. Go Andy!

19. timelord

timelord

image.jpg customs looks better without bumperettes or overriders in my opinion :cool:

20. Thanks Jimmy and Time lord . Hack and Whack has something he wants me to think about in the line of a lower profile Pontiac over rider . I will entertain the thought . In my pics I finished the rough out of the left rear taillight opening . There sure is a lot of work and measuring to get the sides to look even and the same contours . I am a happy camper as my profile gauge shows them to be very close side to side . Never be seen ! I finally jumped in and decided to do the custom scoops on the hood . Thought about it for a few months figuring that is was the only panel on the Buick that absolutely had no need for any kind of body work . So what do I do ? Can't leave well enough alone I guess ! :D I liked the lower flatter style as opposed to the type of scoops that are more vertical . What do you think ? Have a look . Of course it will look better once I get the fibreglass knocked down and primer on the hood ! Hopefully this weekend coming .

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  21. timelord

timelord

22. hacknwhack

hacknwhack
    from mass

23. hacknwhack

hacknwhack
    from mass

Ive been thinking about hood scoops also. f cuts pushed in with round stock edges.
    What kept me away was the flex and twist in the hood when opening, (side opening hood, for you non buick guys).
    You got a great solution Andy
    Strengthening vs weakening.
    Also moving forwawd out of the flex zone.
    Brilliant!
    :cool:

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

24. Yeah Shane , when I looked underneath its right over top of the crossover brace . Flexing will be no issue . I will flip the hood over at some point and cut out the metal underneath following the weld line so the vents will draw in cooler air for the engine compartment . Also water and bugs wont get trapped in there either . I didn't use round rod I just made a buck , folded over the leading edge, planished it a bit and called it ready to install . C-Ya , Andy...

25. Got a little further along on the Buick today .I couldn't get much else done than work in the garage anyway as we were dumped on with more of the beautiful white stuff . 4-5 inches to say the least . Anyway enough of that ! I blocked out the side scoop and I will put it to primer tomorrow. Earlier I had started to chemically strip the hood . Aircraft stripper spay bomb works some good on the 63 year old paint / primer . I then washed the hood with navel jelly and washed it down with soap and water . Some smooth , the hood is nearly flawless which is nice considering its size . The car will be likely, a very dark color( A dark burgundy , like a nice bottle of merlot , or a very dark green , like a midnight teal metallic ) ( Don't know if I am ballsy enough for a black paint job :rolleyes: )Regardless those colors will work very nicely with the two tone crème interior that is planned !

26. Well Piss the pictures didn't load . We should be good now ! Andy..

Attached Files:

27. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Nice progress,Andy!
    Usually i like overrides on kustoms,but i think at this case it could look smoother without it.Keep it up!

28. Thanks for your input Antti. You going to get some time on the shoebox in the near future ? Andy..

29. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

I have done something for the project,but there isnt much worth to post at the moment.
    Well,there is a one top secret side project,but i'll post something when its done:D

30. Will be waiting with anticipation for sure Antti !!