Register now to get rid of these ads!

5 days til Daytona and the sedan is......well

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dodgerodder, Nov 18, 2005.

1. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

not done, and not gonna be in time. Been bustin ass on it, but ran outta time, and mainly money hehe. I have made good progress none the less.

I was really bummed about not finishing in time at first, but now I'm fine with it. The bottom line is I prolly could have made it if I half-assed tossed it together just to make it drivable, and finish it when I get home. But I don't wanna do that. Everything is kinda coming out nicer then I expected, and to toss it together just to drive it to the show isn't worth it, so oh well.

Now I can get alot of the little stuff I need to finish it at the swap meet. Plus seeing all the cars will inspire me to come home and get it done. My bro told me I should take the rolling chassis since I pre-paid/registered for a spot, but I dunno.

Heres some pics as it sits.

Attached Files:

2. Looks great - you are better off to take your time, it is really hard to go back and take it apart once its running.

That thing is going to HAUL

3. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

It looks great. I don't think you will ever regret taking your time to finish it right. Take a break, and get back to it after the show.

4. fastfrankie73

fastfrankie73

That engine looks sweet!!! Think it pull that c-dan around?:rolleyes: That thing should only weigh about #20,000 when its done...:D

5. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

dodgerodder, It's looking real nice. It will be a shame in the end to cover that beautiful frame, suspension and tranny.
    You're doing the right thing by not rushing it like Tudor said, once you get the body on and start driving, you won't want to pull it apart and you'll never get the level of detail your now expecting.
    I was in the same boat as you when I was building my C-dan this past year. My goal was to have it at a local party the Road Agents puts on in CT, but I missed it by a week. I could have rushed it and chanced it on the 2 hour ride, but like you said it's not worth it.
    Take a breather, but keep the progress going and the updates coming! Keith

6. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

you and me both.. my sedan is not going to make it either, just ran out of time.. and at time the energy to spend the late nights out there. maybe because I knew down inside it was not going to happen.

See ya at Daytona still I hope. look for my wagon

7. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Man, that thing's cool. Take your time and don't rush it. It never fails. Get in hurry and somethin' goes wrong and ya end up dong it again. Have fun at the rod run.

8. Clark

Clark

It's lookin good! See you in Daytona.
    Clark

9. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

You guys have made alot of good points. I knew if I threw it together and drove it it would NEVER get finished(or somewhat finished). And as stupid as it sounds, I knew that if I took it, when I did go to take the body off to finished it I'd scratch the crap outta everything, etc etc.

You know its taken lots of pressure off too, cuz now working on it has been fun again instead of rushing to meet a deadline. If nothing else it pushed me to get it done pretty quick.

The show will be like a vacation for sure, I'm looking forward to it. Damn Boones, I though yours would make it for sure. I know what you mean though, so many late nights get old.

Thanks for the words off wisdom guys, I'm now for the first night in months NOT gonna be at the shop hehe

10. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Just to many nights away from home on the road. Over the past three months, I have average 2 to 3 weeks a month out of town on business trips. which leaves weekends to wrench and spend time with the wife. My wife is the coolest and lets me spend as much time as I want in the garage but I know I have to split time so she knows she is important to.

I am so close.. fuel line, lights, exhaust and some motor stuff..

11. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

I understand man, theres only so many hours in the day. It is nice to do final assembly though, isn't it? Feels good to bolt stuff up for the last time. You're close for sure, and your cars been looking great

12. flatoz

flatoz

if its not too much hassle, just take the chassis as your brother said.

You will be surprised how many people love just to look at a bare chassis and it will spur you on again from the comments.

I reckon I could waste a good half hour going over it from the pics you posted.

which ever way your on a winner!

13. El Bombero

El Bombero

I hate to admit it, but I have missed quite a few self-imposed deadlines. It's not worth the pain. The car looks great and is one of the cars here I really look forward to seeing finished. Have fun at the event and enjoy yourself.

Mike

14. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I would love to see your frame set up before the body goes on. Looking at the air ride set up would be great.... How about we both shoot for next years event with plenty of time before hand to work out the bugs...

15. 1bustedbuick

1bustedbuick

The car looks great , was lookin to see if ya completed the car but dont feel bad that ya didnt because I gotta long way to go on mine also. Take your time and if helps I aint met none of my personal deadlines either. The reo is yet being taken from the grave and given new life. :D

16. attitudor

attitudor
    from Finland

Are you giving up? Haha, just finish the body, looks good. You have done excellent work with your chassis! Let us see more project photos and take your time.

Mika

17. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Looks very nice, it will be worth the wait.

18. dodgerodder

dodgerodder

Hey thanks again for all the nice words guys, I appreciate! Its been nice taking the past couple days off, the first days I haven't been at the shop in months.

Boones, that sounds like an achievable goal to me. Though be next year I'll prolly be knee-deep in the next project, humping to get it done for next year hehe.

I thought about taking the chassis, but I don't have an enclosed trailer to take it in. The only reason I say "enclosed" is that I think all my stuff would disappear off the frame in the hotel parking lot at night. Its all way easy to get to without the body on, and its stuff that younger dudes would love to have for their bagged whatever. I'm NOT saying all young dudes steal for sure, but its the "few bad apples" deal.

I too really enjoy looking at rolling chassis though. Its cool to see the stuff that makes it all work.

19. hillbillyhell

hillbillyhell

20. popsrods

popsrods
    from macon,ga.

Hey Dan, it's all looking great, take your time it will be well worth it!!!!!
    wayne

21. LDGn63

LDGn63

man... you STILL ROCK!

you are like a one-man tornado... so take a breather and feel good about it!
    go check out what everyone else is building and relax!

i'm sure everyone would LOVE to see that frame... but you probably want to be able to sleep and you cant do that worrying about yer stuff getting jacked!

keep us posted... several of us are addicted! :D

22. Man that thing looks great maybe I will get to see it next year!!! I will be out in Daytona that is fun times. Great swap also. Ive been going over for sometime I hope to meet some HAMBERs out there-

JAH