Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Vintage "Cageless" Midget Picture Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by KKx125, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Surfref32

Surfref32

2. racer8

racer8
    from Wisconsin

I am Max Reichenbach son-in-law saw your articles on Reichenbach & Zale we have many pic. and info glad to share any of this with any one.I drove midgets for 14 years UARA Champ. 1969. Bill Krueger

3. gearguy

gearguy

"Day dreaming a bit about the past today and wondering about the utilization of the major engines used in early midgets after the advent of the Offies, V8-60's, Willys, Ford Fergusons, Studebakers, Eltos, Drakes and Continentals up to the time of this thread."

Somewhere I have a list that was compiled of all the motors used in midgets. As you know, Art, the sixes are hard to fit in a short wheelbase car. I think some of the trouble the guys had in finding alternatives to the Offy & V8-60 was the result of rules on engine size. Some attractive options were either too little to be competitive [Volvo] or too big for the rules or the car. The Falcon originally was 144 cubic inches & the Chevy II was 153; both close to the 136 inch V8-60. It cost lots of money to destroke a BOP aluminum V-8 from 215 ci or a Pontiac slant 4 from 194. Guys weren't eager to use Corvairs & VW speed parts were years away. The Chevy II could use many Chevy V-8 parts so it went to the head of the line.

4. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

All agreed.

I believe each racing group had it's own rules and Badger may have included the 169 inch flat head Studebaker while excluding the same displacement OHV, which was dimensionally the same block.

Other groups were apparently "Outlaw" and you could "run what you brung" allowing the larger 170 and 200 Falcons and later the BOP and Pontiac as you mentioned.

Still wondering if anyone tried the OHV Studebaker or if the larger displacement Falcons were just an obvious choice in the Outlaw groups.

Bear in mind, my time frame here is pre-Chevy II.

5. wynns #1

wynns #1

I recently learned that there are no more M&H midget tires available. i would suggest those who need tires now or in the near future, to call Coker Tire and let them know of your needs. The more requests they get will expedite more tires to be made by M&H. Thanks

6. DWX9929

DWX9929

A little off topic, but Mickey Rooney passed away yesterday. Gave me an excuse to watch him as Billy Coy in one of my favorite racing movies. Thought I'd share the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_PrKk7Dpt0

7. flatheadtommy

flatheadtommy

Joe Sostilio's Offy with his caddy tow car, can you imagine seeing that going through your small town in 1948 !!

Attached Files:

8. flatheadtommy

flatheadtommy

Joe Sostilio , 1947 Bay State Midget Champion

Attached Files:

9. CTtoPA

CTtoPA

The black #54 was owned by Jerry Schofield in CO last I knew. The white #54 is owned by Ray Boissoneau of NH.

10. jconklin75

jconklin75

Hi there, been awhile since I've been on the site. Still looking for any information as to where my grandfather's (chet Conklin) midget might be. The one I am most interested in is the Harry Hull car he raced. Any info or leads would be greatly appreciated.

11. flatheadtommy

flatheadtommy

I thought you would like this hand colored picture that i have had for many years. it measures 16"/20" and its Chet Conklin in the Harry Hull v8 car.

Attached Files:

12. flatheadtommy

flatheadtommy

when i was digging out the Chet Conklin picture i came across this shot of Wild Bill Holmes in the Gasperini Offy . Gasperini was a funeral director from Providence, R.I. and he had just purchased the Curtis Offy from frank Curtis out of long island . bill Holmes had been the regular in the Curtis Offy. this car is now restored back to the Curtis Offy.

Attached Files:

13. jconklin75

jconklin75

Thinks for posting the picture. I have a copy of the same photo only much smaller

14. RIM_RYDER

RIM_RYDER

That's some super wide slicks. My dad tried to have some new M&H tires mounted years ago and the attendant told the boss that this guy wants to mount these "bald" tires!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. flatheadtommy

flatheadtommy

I believe the hull rail car was a Sawin, built by dick Sawin from the Providence , R.i. area , Sawin was a well known race car builder in the post war era. I personally do not know what became of the #37 car and to the best of my knowledge i never saw it surface. i do know that harry Hull had made a small road car from and old midget of his that was a rail frame 60 h.p. and that car was around about 25 years ago.

16. slobitz

slobitz
    from drums, pa

Tommy, Boyd Hanauer gave me the nose to Harry`s rail frame car. He knew who had the rest of the car and made me promise never to give it to him. Boyd is gone now and I never found the guys name. When I paint the twin fire I will have them scan the paint to get the original purple.

17. racer8

racer8
    from Wisconsin

UARA Member passed away last week NEWT WHITE . He drove for Hank Jeffries and Gorge Holterman

18. jconklin75

jconklin75

Stan,

would it be possible to get a picture of the nose piece?

19. jconklin75

jconklin75

I think I heard of my grandfather also driving for "Pappy" Hough at some point, but I am not 100% on that fact. I remember somebody telling me that a few years back, but again can't find anything to support what they told me.

20. jconklin75

jconklin75

I heard from a few people that the 37 car is/was in the Waterbury, CT area, but nobody knows for sure.

I found a link to a car that was built by Sawin;

http://www.ewarbirds.org/automotive/1938midget.html

21. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

There are several posts here on the HAMB about the Hull Bantam, can't do a link, but they are easy enough to search. The one I had is still here in Ct. Never thought of trying to match up photos of the midget and Bantam, but it could be what happened to it given the respect last years racecars get.

Attached Files:

22. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Could't get them all to load....

Attached Files:

23. TommyA19

TommyA19

Just wondering - how many that visit here are aware that during the last week of July in 1948, there were 32 midget races scheduled in the New England area? The busiest night was a Wednesday with six race tracks on the schedule. No Interstate Hiway system, either.

24. glrbird

glrbird

Here is "the worst handling thing he ever drove" acording to my Dad. He told me the owner built it out of a jeep!

Attached Files:

25. jconklin75

jconklin75

Wow I never knew that they had that many midget races.

Tommy I believe talked awhile back about my grandfather. We also talked about going to someplace in pa, but my mom got pretty sick and was in the hospital for awhile so I couldn't make it.

26. jconklin75

jconklin75

A little of topic but, didn't they also race boats of some sort at the old Danbury track?

27. nema19

nema19

See this: http://www.vintageraceboatshop.com/DanburyRacers.htm. A web search will provide more links.

Seekonk also ran some speedboat races, flooding the track to do so. Sammy Packard once told me that you had to be careful not to run too wide, because of the risk of the prop striking the asphalt.

28. CTtoPA

CTtoPA

I remember Boyd! Lived across from the Ram's Pasture in Newtown, CT. Had that 1937 Duval midget.

29. jconklin75

jconklin75

Thanks for the link.

30. slobitz

slobitz
    from drums, pa

Hull nose

Attached Files: