Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Duraspark II/HEI problem

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Harvey29, Apr 20, 2014.

1. Harvey29

Harvey29
    from kansas

Running a duraspark II distributor with 4 pin module and I'm pretty sure there dying because of heat but was wandering if anyone else was having this problem.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. stimpy

stimpy

the module has to be grounded and a large heatsink with the heat transfer paste applied to the backside to help ( the paste is needed ! ) . the HEI modules do not like heat and generate a lot of it . on conversions were we remove the amplifier( module ) from the distributor we mount them to the firewall and they last for a long time in this spot , I have hidden a few inside the car or in the wiper cowl bay . ( have to use a good weather tight connector ) just add a plate of aluminum 1/8' thick by 2x the size to the backside with the paste and mount it . and do not paint the plate or the module

3. Harvey29

Harvey29
    from kansas

I have it mounted under the cowl and added a heat sink but the module might be toasted already I'm going to try another one

4. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Make damn sure the ground is really good and everything else is grounded properly as well. Duraspark modules don't respond well to bad grounds or systems with large amounts of electrical noise in the system.

5. zombie289

zombie289
    from SoCal

I had a lot of issues until I moved the module inside the car away from the engine bay heat (still needs a heatsink though)

6. I remember back when they came out with duraspspsrk. Had a reputation of being unreliable. I drove fords back then and had a spare module bolted next to each other just in case. Don't trust them today as they are getting even older. I just run petronics

7. Harvey29

Harvey29
    from kansas

I'm only running the duraspark distributor the module is 4 pin GM

8. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Well, there's your problem. Everyone knows you can't run a Ford Distributor with a GM module. Oil and Water, they just don't mix. :D

Seriously though, sounds like a heat and / or grounding issue.

9. Harvey29

Harvey29
    from kansas

Just about done with the HEI module! Ready to go back to points, checked power, ground new pick up coil new module, new coil still won't run

10. Harvey29

Harvey29
    from kansas

I've tried FIVE! different modules ONE! will work

11. stimpy

stimpy

are you sure the input connections for the power in are on the correct posts if they are reversed it will not work . and I have seen some chicrap ones were they reversed the pole positions , also did you test the unit by using the HEI test proceedure use a old analog meter and check for pulses from the pick up coil , and you have to have 9 V minimum to the unit . and check all your wires to and from the unit for continuity . I had one were the wire was broke in the connector that drove us nuts for weeks being intermitant .

12. Use a MSD box with that Duraspark and it'll run forever...

13. Harvey29

Harvey29
    from kansas

I've checked all of the connections new pick up coil, new module tried HEI and duraspark both still won't pulse the coil gonna try a new dizzy next

14. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I am guessing that you have made sure the dist is turning. If this is a ford I have seen the roll pin shear on the drive gear.

15. Harvey29

Harvey29
    from kansas

Yes the dizzy spins I've had it out and even spun it by hand and got a a/c voltage signal

16. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Actually, the Duraspark with the cheap GM module works pretty well, and is the cheap option, which appeals to many- MSD works even better, and MSD even makes a harness that plugs the two together correctly for about $15. The Duraspark dizzy is a better unit than the HEI, and not so butt-ugly and huge- MSD uses Duraspark components in their dizzys. That GM module does need a good-sized heat sink to survive

17. Harvey29

Harvey29
    from kansas

Update: if I unplug the negative side of the coil the module will pulse, any ideas?

18. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I don't recall reading about the coil you are using is it compatible with combination?

19. When rigging the grounds on these I run the black Duraspark dizzy ground to the 4 pin tie down screw and also to the engine block. They should be common.

Coil should be of the low ohm primary variety, is that what you are running?

20. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

I ran a Frankenstein HEI system once and it too kept eating modules...until I put an actual factory GM module in there. After that it was bullet proof.

21. zombie289

zombie289
    from SoCal

Make sure you have the module grounded through the thru bolt hole as shown in this pic or nothing will happen... I used a nut and bolt through the hole to connect a electrical terminal to a ground wire.
    [​IMG]

22. Harvey29

Harvey29
    from kansas

so far I have found one module that it will run on but the spark is very week

23. NUMA NEWBERN

NUMA NEWBERN

GB56, I'm new to the group and was considering YOUR design of DS2 with the GM HEI, can you tell me the ACTUAL gage size & type WIRE you used to run from & to the HEI module? Maybe WHERE to get such good quality wire? I have a 1965 F100 with 240 inline I want to do a Electronic Dis with HEI, I've read so many problems with these conversions, I'm also considering DUE to these issues and wanting a compact setup the Performance Distributors HEI, pricey BUT all in one nice package but hate the close to $400.00 cost