Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Finned Buick brake drum simulation DIY

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by St. Louis Cummins, Mar 9, 2014.

1. St. Louis Cummins

St. Louis Cummins

I'm running disc brakes on my truck but love the look of the finned Buick drums. However, ive seen the price of the drum over disc simulators and almost fell down.

Are there any crafty people on this forum that have tried to duplicate Buick drums over disc brakes by themselves in a garage or similar setting?

If so post some pics or share your experience.

This is my next " You can't do that project", since I've finished my I Beam Axle build.

Have a good day guys. - Chris.

2. Im not a fan of fake things on cars. If wanting the looks of Buick drums, why not just run buick drums? Ive seen a lok of decent looking cars look bad from fake hemi or rocket covers on a chevy engine, fake drum covers, etc.

Now, personal taste aside, why not just look at one of the fake covers sold and reverse engineer it?

How did the axle come out? I only saw it in the early stages. Have you started running it?

3. St. Louis Cummins

St. Louis Cummins

So Cal sells the fake drums and I must say they are beautiful but good lord they are proud of them.
    The axle turned out fine, just need a reamer for the kingpin bushing in the spindles then I can put it together. I'll post a pic of the finished product this week.

4. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I've got 4 nice 45 fin drums for sale...;)

kidcampbell71 likes this.

5. Its just personal taste.

Wilson Engineering makes them dont they? Or is that the ones SoCal sells? Ive just never understood the fake ones, I guess. The drums arent hard to find, and they work well for the weight of these kind of cars. Hell, stopping a model A (or whatever) is cake compared to stopping an early 60s Buick oceanliner.

I saw the almost finished version of your axle,,,, looks good.

6. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Have your bushings honed for a better fit for your king pins.

7. St. Louis Cummins

St. Louis Cummins

Thanks, having them honed in a couple days.

8. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

There are finned iron drums, you could paint them with aluminum paint.

9. Not a hijack, but since it came up Thx Rusty... What are the Iron finned alternatives to Alum finned drums out there? What lug pattern? Any easily adaptable to a Ford straight axle?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. St. Louis Cummins

St. Louis Cummins

ya know, i have noticed some large finned iron drums at work fashioned into light stands. ill ask what they went to.QUOTE=Rusty O'Toole;9587345]There are finned iron drums, you could paint them with aluminum paint.[/QUOTE]

11. St. Louis Cummins

St. Louis Cummins

If it comes down to it the drums can be drilled to your desired bolt pattern.

12. St. Louis Cummins

St. Louis Cummins

anybody got a measurement of the big drum? I.D.

13. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I built some out of old ford backing plates. Do a search fake brakes by me rusty rocket. theres a few pictures i shot during the process.

14. St. Louis Cummins

St. Louis Cummins

that looks super cool! but I want to cover the outside of the disc set up with a buick style drum. im running wire wheels.

15. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

16. St. Louis Cummins

St. Louis Cummins

drums guys, not backing plates!

17. Here a 12x3 finned drum I found a while back, 3" is kinda wide up front.
    http://www.cquence.net/dodge-rm300-...e-drums.html?gclid=CNjbgJDF9b0CFcMDOgodKSsAJw

Are you even looking for 12" drums?
    There's a boat load of them in smaller sizes with fins, and wide 12" with fins
    There's a bunch of reasonable 12" x skinny drums with out fins.

It's almost a wash cost wise for initial set up of plain drums and covers vs Buick aluminum drums. The only difference is down the road when you need new drums, then you'll be happy you can just get new plain drums and stick your covers on.

I've been looking for cheap covers too, but there not findable with my available search options.

18. AndersF

AndersF

Here are a cool setup i saw at a show made by a builder from Finland.

[​IMG]

19. choppedtudor

choppedtudor

The buick drum upgrade is one of the easiest to do. why would anyone want to fake it?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  20. I know a guy that used a stainless steel frying pan to make a pretty looking disc brake cover for hit T roadster....no pics though

Update.....google is your friend...google frying pan disc brake cover...boom 2008 post on the HAMB

21. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB