Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects P38 Belly Tank

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Frenchy Dehoux, Apr 22, 2014.

1. Beside working on my 1931 Track T Roadster I knew I needed another project. I bought this tank from a good friend as you can see in the pictures last weekend I split the tank at the seam and also cut out some rust panels. I build a dolly to fit it to make it easier to work on. I will be posting pictures as I go along to show progress. I am sure I will be getting some negative comments on the power plan I will be using but this is what makes the hobby interesting. Here are a few pictures to start.

Thanks
    Frenchy

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
  2. AZbent

AZbent

You really went OT and made a boat. That is really cool. Keep posting.
    Mark

3. I did get a lot of various reactions when I had it out the first day making a dolly for it some of the comments why do you have a bomb or why do you have a missile and the last one cool canoe.

Frenchy

4. Gr8laker

Gr8laker
    from Michigan

Hey Frenchy, this is still AMERICA! Run whatever motor you want!

LOU WELLS likes this.

5. Thank You ! just past history. This one will be cool I already have the engine ,trans,front beam etc ...

Thanks
    Frenchy

6. bill s preston esq

bill s preston esq

sub-freakin'-scribed.

7. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Lookin good Frenchy, if you get any static about what you are using for power, show them this one !!!!!

Attached Files:

8. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I spy with my little eye a 36HP fan shroud.... Your doin' something that has been in the back of my brain for thirty years since I was at Karl's Custom...

9. banjorear

banjorear

As a fellow VDub lover, I'm diggin' it. I cut my teeth on Beetles so this is right up my wheelhouse.

Set-up right, that thing should haul pretty good and weigh about nothing.

I think that would be bad ass with some Eelco valve covers peaking out the sides of that rig.

10. Use a type II fan shroud with fans.
    Are you going to race it????

11. That goes for me too!

12. john-e-yuma

john-e-yuma
    from Sacramento

This has me rolling!!

Keep at it, this should be a cool one to watch. Subscribed!!

13. So far Thank You for the great feedback. I will start with a 36 HP motor going to El Mirage and after build a 2165cc or 2332cc with 48 IDA Webbers.

Frenchy

14. banjorear

banjorear

For your 36 hp-er, you should try to find an old Judson blower to throw on top of that. That may bump you to another class, so may not be an option.

15. kyvetteman

kyvetteman

Holy shit that is cool! It doesn't get much more traditional than that!!

By the way, subscribed!

16. CDM

CDM

I've always wanted to do this with something like an old Norton 750 one-lunger. But tanks are getting scarce. It will be cool...even if you power it with a cage full of squirrels. Keep us posted on progress...

17. Nobey

Nobey

Frenchy, I have one of those tanks and was wondering how you split the seam
    so nicely? Richard....

18. toucan

toucan
    from sc

i will own a belly tank!

19. George

George

Saw in an E Mail recently where the Vietnamese have made lots of canoes out of drop tanks.

20. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi

Hey Marty, is that a hit or miss Johnny popper in your neat looking tank? BILL

21. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Bill, It is a 1 1/2 hp hit and miss.

22. Man I am stoke all these positive feedback on my project Thank You everyone. I have many good ideas for this one. No fan housing but I will be using squirrel cage style fan to cool the engine and a magneto, deep oil sump custom exhaust all in to one going out to the back etc ...

Thank You again
    Frenchy

23. PWolf

PWolf

I'm sure you'll cop some flak from some folks about power-plant but I for one want to see this come to life. Subscribed!

24. Richard
    I cut the above the seam with a die grinder I was going and use my plasma cutter but I wanted a nice clean cut and it took me a few hours to do it but I am happy with the results. I will be making a new lip for the other half of the tank and spot weld it together. I want to have the front portion of the tank where I will be sitting to be on struts to open as you would have on the front hood of new cars this will make it easier to get in and out of it.

Thanks
    Frenchy

Nobey likes this.
  25. chop777

chop777

Hey Frenchman
    Gotta ask how did you find belly tank and what does one cost?
    What kind of plane did they go on
    I know nothing about belly tanks besides
    Seeing them on the salt flats and is some old 50 's hot rod books
    It is no doubt going to be killer
    Subscribed !!!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

26. Chopped 66 Bug

Chopped 66 Bug

Sounds like you are a fellow aircooler too as well as traditional rods and such. If so then you probably know there is a 36HP class and I believe the restrictions on changes to the motor are pretty strict. I too have wanted to build just such a rig. I have been looking at starting with a Formula V since they are mid engine, tranny out back. I'll be watching this one as well. Mike

27. Chopped 66 Bug

Chopped 66 Bug

Chop777,

His looks to be one of the longer types that were found on The P-38 and P-61 and sometimes on the P-47. There is a company making fiberglass ones for building tank cars but I have lost the Addy. Surplus WW-II types are getting hard to find but still out there. I have seen a few at swap meets and going for over a grand. During the War the British came up with one made out of doped paper, light weight and one time use. Not intended to be brought back after a mission as some metal ones were.

Mike

28. This particular tank is from a P38 a friend of mine had it in his back yard and told him if he wanted to sell it to let me know so I was lucky to get it.I will be posting pictures as I go along .

Thanks
    Frenchy

29. sailingadventure

sailingadventure

Frenchy, I`m surprised that someone hasn`t already tried to tell you that`s not a P-38 drop tank, but it is. They had 2 sizes and you have the smaller one. That`s the size I started with but it was too small for me so I lengthened it and made it bigger around. Good luck with your project, stick with it and you`ll have a unique ride.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.