Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Exhaust wrap. Any experience?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Apr 22, 2014.

1. Roothawg

Roothawg

Looking at being proactive in keeping the heat down under the hood on my tow vehicle. It's a 63 Nova wagon and the exhaust comes pretty close to some of the lines etc. Looking at using the exhaust wrap tape.

Any experience?

Thanks

Root

2. ev88f

ev88f

I had it underneath a truck by some air shock lines. It held moisture on the pipe and rotted it out in short order. Maybe you would have better luck with it under the hood

3. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

50 years of hotrodding and I've never seen a need for it. Personally I think it is ugly and it's just lemmings following the crowd.

5. tikiwagon13

tikiwagon13

I've used it on some racecars, worked well to keep the temp down where needed. Does shorten the life of headers, by ALOT. Any room to make a heatshield?

6. Roothawg

Roothawg

OK, enough said. That's why I love this forum.

7. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

I also hand a 67 Chevy II. It had custom headers and a couple came close to other things. A coupla spark plugs being one of them.
    I used the old white stuff on those headers, just in the areas that required it. How much it actually helped...who knows.

BUT...I've used it regularly on my motorcycles. I normally have two sport bikes at a time, since about 1986. Because of the way that they are designed, the headers come VERY close to the radiator, sometimes the coolant lines, the oil cooler and or it's lines and sometimes even the water pump.
    Yes, the new darker (DEI and others) wrap DOES work. I've seen temperature drops from between 10 and 22 degrees, depending on the bike.
    My last two bikes I even "double" wrapped the headers on them.

The new darker wrap (volcano rock wrap) doesn't "hold" water like the original white stuff did. It drips out faster and what doesn't, burns off quickly.

Mike

8. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

Make a heat shield.

9. doctorZ

doctorZ

I used it on my A with great success. I would absolutely advise painting/coating your exhaust prior to wrapping it to cut down on the moisture being held in.
    Also, when you're putting it on, if you soak it in water first it'll allow the fibers to stretch a bit and then they'll shrink when it dries so it makes it easier to get it really right around the pipes.

10. TANNERGANG

TANNERGANG
    BANNED
    from alabama

I've seen it used on racecars, but it also makes a REAL GOOD WICK when oil gets on it......make a shield.........Wrap may be like a guy said one time about a product he was selling.....When asked how long it lasted, the salesman replied.."It's made to sell, not last"