Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Camshaft Gurus...2 minutes please

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dimadee, Apr 22, 2014.

1. Dimadee

Dimadee

I have a 390 in my Cadillac, and plan to rebuild it in the future.

At some stage I will change the old Carter AFB for a Street Demon or go with a 2x2 or 3x2 setup. The exhaust manifolds are stock, and I will tidy up the heads up a little when the engine is apart. Nothing too wild, just a little more than stock.

I have found a camshaft, but don't understand camshafts enough to know how it will perform - the inlet and exhaust duration are quite different. The cam is a Sealed Power CS-256 (specs are here)

I would appreciate it if someone could tell me how his cam would perform in my engine....specifically idle quality, fuel economy and rpm range.

Thanks in anticipation :)

2. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

Generally speaking, with 203 degrees duration @.050 and .452" lift, that is a fairly mild cam. Should idle well & have good idle vacuum. Good low and mid range power band. I would guess it tops out around 4500 RPM. I am not a cam "guru", and don't know much about the flow charastics of that engine, but for a carbureted V-8 that should be in the ballpark.

3. Dimadee

Dimadee

Thanks for the replies Gents,

I was concerned about the big difference between the intake and exhaust duration. A typo would explain it.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014

4. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Early intake closing to build compression for low static CR piston/ head combo. You have the chance to make the engine more efficient with a better camshaft/piston selection.

5. Dimadee

Dimadee

Hi Joel,

I sorta get what you are saying. There is a fairly limited number of cams available for this engine.

Any recommendations? Increased efficiency is exactly what I am looking to achieve.

6. INTMD8

INTMD8
    from Il.

The stock camshaft from my 59 390 is Intake 201 @.050 .268 lobe lift Exhaust 202 @ .050 .265 lift 113lsa.

I think the one you have linked is a stock replacement cam. Not sure where you guys are seeing it has different intake and exhaust duration?

I had Comp Cams re-grind my original cam to the following specs. Only other mods to the engine were a bit of bowl work, LS1 valves and LS7 valvesprings/retainers. It's not a race car but feels much stronger than I expected considering everything else is stock. I did have to raise the idle to a bit over 600 for it to idle smooth as it was a little choppy at the stock idle spec of I believe 450.

212/212 .280/.280 114lsa

7. Arekusu

Arekusu

Have you seen this blog? I know it's thrown around a lot for guys building early Cad motors. Maybe it'll help with the duration of cam.

http://hotrodcaddy.com/?p=17

Alex

8. sunbeam

sunbeam

Isky still offers several cams for the 390 Cadillac.

9. It's a 274 advertised with 203 int 203 exh duration at .050
    Pretty close to stock duration but the ramps , CL s and overlap might be different than stock. I don't see any major differences though.

10. Dimadee

Dimadee

Thanks everyone. I am looking for a little bit more than a stock cam so I will let this one go, and will continue to scout around :)