Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical AV8 is UNSTABLE Any ideas?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by highboy, Apr 2, 2014.

1. Glenn Thoreson

Glenn Thoreson
    from SW Wyoming

It sounds similar to a Model T with a bent wishbome. Those things would be scary as hell and totally unpredictable. It really does sound like a broken shock absorber, though. I once had a '46 Buick with a busted rear shock link and any flaw in the road would send that silly thing fish tailing and wagging it's back end back and forth like some kind of a nut. Damn scary and pretty dangerous. The only way to make it stop that was to stop the car. That was a coil spring suspension with Delco shocks similar in action to the Houdailles. Not knowing what suspension setup you have makes it very difficult to diagnose without actually driving it. If you have coil overs on the rear, I would be very thorough about checking it out.

2. Gene Boul

Gene Boul

It sounds a bit like a bent shock such that it extends almost normally on the extension and hangs in compression.

3. highboy

highboy
    from marin

Thanks for all the input. I Just got home from work, Here's the info so many asked.. Model A on a deuce frame, dropped I beam axle located with hairpins and.piston shocks . Ford 9 inch rear axle with limited slip located with ladder bars and coil overs.. Vega steering box.

4. Chuck R

Chuck R

do you have a rear panhard bar?

5. SimonSez

SimonSez

Yep, according to the original post.

6. Ladder bars and coil overs. Yep. Gotta have a Panhard Bar.

7. highboy

highboy
    from marin

Yes.and it's solid at both connecting points

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That acts just the same as my ot car with a bad right rear strut. I say right rear because that is where I hear the thumping come from when I hit bump and my ass jumps sideways.

9. highboy

highboy
    from marin

Just pulled both rear shocks and they both actuate the same. Fluid and easy to compress hard to extend

10. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Some people are not going to like this suggestion, but spend $39 and try a SoCal steering stabilizer on it. I am not suggesting that as a band aid fix, but just to help narrow down what is causing the problem. If it tightens up the steering and the problem goes away, you will then have an area to start looking at.

My guess is that it is either related to that original rear panhard issue, or, it is related to your shocks. Shocks will give goofy handling when the get weak, I have had that happen on my own, and a new set of shocks cleared it right up.

Check your wheel bearings for looseness too, sometimes it is not one big problem but a combination of lots of little problems that add up.

Don

11. Glenn Thoreson

Glenn Thoreson
    from SW Wyoming

After reading your original post again it is possible, I suppose, that when the rear moves up it's throwing the camber into a negative situation. Enter the Model T with a bent wishbone syndrome. If that is indeed the situation it could continue to get worse and become quite dangerous. Negative camber can make the car impossible to control. Also, just for kicks, check for bent steering arms. Although that usually only seriously affects the car when turning corners, anything is possible at this point. Be sure the toe-in is correct.

Edit: Should be caster, not camber. I hate getting old!

Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
  12. Who puts 90-10 shocks on the rear of a car? they should resist movement equally in both directions. If they have compound valving you can't check them by hand, go buy a good set of 50-50 shocks for the rear of your car and install them! I'll bet your shitty handling goes away.

13. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sounds like the wrong shock.

I only use gas charged ones, and even with my work-hardened arms, I have trouble compressing many of them.

14. This all seems to fit.

Seems like your shocks have failed. By stating what you did in your initial post, it's very likely.

15. highboy

highboy
    from marin

Yes both shocks are shot. Given the characteristics my money would have been on one bad one good but...so i'm waiting on a new pair. Hopefully that's it if not tune in next week for a brand new episode of Guess What's Wrong With My Roadster!! ( I hate that show)

16. ironfly28

ironfly28
    from Orange, CA

I think your car is a little light for gas charged shocks...Ask me how I know.

17. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It depends on how you install them.

18. Have you checked the center bolt holding the spring together? It could be one or the other has sheared off. Had it happen once, couldn't see it just about drove me nuts until I found it.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

19. Have a couple of guys bounce the car while you crawl under it and watch the suspension move. You might be able to see something that's out of whack that way.

20. ironfly28

ironfly28
    from Orange, CA

I had mine installed on a 30 coupe, with a 9 inch and hairpins, they were mounted to bungs direct to the axle, and f-1 shock mounts on a square tube welded between the frame rails directly above the axle and bolted in with a 5 degree tilt towards center...rode like a skateboard until I changed them...afterward rode like a hot rod should.

21. highboy

highboy
    from marin

Fixed the Problem... to those of you that said tires? You were right. The strange thing is i swapped out the fronts and rears with a set from another project. They were worn but not badly. but the problem continued. Ordered a new set of Firestone DT's fronts and problem solved. Thanks for the input y'all. I'm roadworthy just in time for Santa Maria.

22. Now that is good news !

23. TV

TV

Do you have springs in the rear? Check for a broken spring.--TV OK thats good.

24. Gotta like a happy ending. JW

25. grumpy32

grumpy32
    from Australia

I bet you are happy this show has ended..... With a happy ending

26. Did see that coming,but glad you worked it out. HRP

27. kjvma131

kjvma131
    from New Jersey

Just for the hell of it have someone follow you and observe what is happening, you have nothing to lose with that. That will also tell you if the tracking is correct.