Register now to get rid of these ads!

History How about a "original" survivor thread?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by low budget, Jan 25, 2013.

1. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

My 1962 Impala all original interior and paint. And my 1940 ford delux coupe one repaint original interior and engine trans and rear end six volt elect system

Attached Files:

2. Big Bad Dad

Big Bad Dad

My 64 Fury would have qualified except it took a hit and had to have a 1/4 replaced and a new paint job in the early 80's. And since then, I have "freshened" the engine, added a TTI exhaust system, and changed to the Magnum 500 wheels. Still setting on the all original interior! (91K Miles)

Attached Files:

3. me too!!!!!

4. 39 Ford

39 Ford

Every car on the HAMB is in effect a survivor, as it did not get melted down and made into third world trash.
    You can argue all you want about how many changed need to be done in order to be still called and Original survivor. They are all cool and worth having.

5. CaptainGTX

CaptainGTX
    from Colorado

Technically, if it's still around it's a survivor. Here's my unrestored 60-year old 1953 Dodge Coronet convertible I bought through Craigslist three years ago from the original owners' family. It was parked locally in 1964 with 102K miles and a damaged transmission. I got everything functioning again & use it for cruising & the occasional show.

The car has its original interior, top & 90% of its original paint. It has a couple minor rust spots & some dented trim, but nothing worse than my old 53 Dodge sedan (my first car) had when I bought it in 1964. It has the first year Red Ram 241 cu in hemi and Gyro-Torque semi-automatic transmission, plus almost every other option you could get in 53. I've only found seven others in the past several years of looking and it's the only one of its kind in the WPC roster. At this point it's also the oldest known surviving Dodge hemi convertible.

Original cars are where it's at right now. My restored 69 GTX has gotten more trophies, but the Dodge attracts as much, if not more, attention when it's out.

Rich

Attached Files:

6. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

Estate car from Louisiana all original including paint etc....I just bought including original tires and owners manual

Attached Files:

7. Thats nice! But id be to tempted to stick a big ol hemi in it!

8. Vintage Souls truck. ( I accidentaly quoted the quote Sorry)

9. dmikulec

dmikulec

On the other end of the spectrum, a not so shiny but still a true survivor '52 Chieftain sedan. Unmolested, unaltered and all original inside and out, down to the headliner and the Pontiac mirror on the visor. 108,000 miles. One owner. Last registered in 1972, plate still on the car.

Only thing missing are the wheel covers and the air cleaner.

[​IMG]

-=Dave

10. porschedude996tt

porschedude996tt
    from California

Well you are correct to a point, but as screwed up as English is, it is the same as very very clean, or hot hot deal.

11. Model T1

Model T1

A set of original looking wheels/tires and near stock hub caps and this would be a fun driver.
    And I'm not even into patina/rust! It just has that KOOL factor.

12. TULSA

TULSA
    from Tulsa

I dunno bout that...

13. dmikulec

dmikulec

I've got all four original wheels. Tires were rotted so these were pulled off an old truck to get it home and into the shop. Hub caps and beauty rings were found here on the HAMB and will be here shortly.

I even got the skirts. :cool:

[​IMG]

-=Dave

Last edited: May 21, 2013
  14. my 35 Ford and 62 Poncho....

Attached Files:

15. rld14

rld14

My 60 Lincoln coupe still has a lot of original paint obit, and aside from some paintwork here and there and the leather part of the front seat is original. It's got about 45k miles.

I had a very cool 56 Packard Caribbean convertible until Hurricane Sandy. Original paint, convertible top, interior and very nice with 21k miles. All documentation since my great grandmother bought it new. I even had its' second set of tires stored and they had lots of tread left. Only parts that weren't original were the tires, hoses, brake rubber parts, fuel lines and fluids. Looked like a very clean 2-3 year old used car.

Had a 59 Colony Park that was a pretty clean survivor too that I also lost, and an OT Porsche 356A. Porsche had paintwork on a door and the front hood but original interior. Colony Park was also quite nice and original.

My secret project is over 80 years old but all the cool work was done in 1959 and its still quite presentable cosmetically.

16. Here's my contribution-sadly not my car
    3 owners-two families
    -purchased from original owner in 1970-passed on to his son approx 10 years ago.
    body repainted once-fenders repainted twice
    original interior and top
    160,000 miles
    engine rebuilt twice
    original transmission

Attached Files:

17. I don't know if mine qualifies or not ... Original paint, upholstery, rubber floor mats but those big ol' west coast mirrors were added new by the dealer in 1960, as was the dock bumper .... does dealer options make "original" null and void? .... but dang, I gots the original pink slip!

Attached Files:

• 062.jpg
      062.jpg
      File size:
      33.1 KB
      Views:
  18. It seems most of these were parked and ignored more because something broke causing daily use to be impractical. Thus the mileage never kept ticking over as it waited years for repair. Wouldn't the term "survivor" be more descriptive of a car that was cared for and kept in working order to remain practical for the owner to maintain to this very day?

Maybe a car that has several hundred thousand miles on the clock and is still drivable.

Take our family car for instance. Bought in 1966 when new and kept going through thick and thin for almost a quarter million miles. Driven almost every day until retired from daily service in 1996, 30 years to the month of its purchase.

Maybe not a survivor by previous defenition but still gets out to cruises every summer. Just saying.

66 Fury III 016b.jpg 66 Fury III 023b.jpg

19. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

This granny car got me through college. Bought from the original owner for $350. I had to quit washing it my senior year, because the blue was coming off and it was getting more red (primer). I drove it 40,000 miles and it was the most trouble-free vehicle I have ever owned.
    [​IMG]

20. Phantom309

Phantom309
    from Wyoming

21. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

This was a "granny" car from 1929 until 1957 when it was purchased from it's original owner by a guy in rural Pennsylvania.
    I was lucky enough to find it stored away last year and purchase it from it's octogenarian second owner. The odometer shows 18,000 miles. Yeah, they're still out there.

Attached Files:

22. rld14

rld14

23. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow... about that '62 Starchief: did you happen to stop by a video store along U.S. Highway 12 with that car on a trailer? I had my '62 Catalina there that day and I seem to remember talking to you, or someone a lot like you!

Nice group of cars. Love those big Ponchos, especially the survivors.

24. One that lives near me.....untouched original.

Attached Files:

25. My "survivor" was purchased by my aunt and uncle from the original owner, back in the mid '70s. My uncle had a Vo-Tech school paint job applied to it and they drove it periodically from '76 to the last record of '87, with only a tank of gas a year from about '82-87.

I picked it up a February 26, 2012, from my aunt. The only changes that I have made consist of rewiring to 12v, big & little wheels and tires, reversed eye front spring and the original spring out of my '40 coupe, replacement knobs on the dash. Everything else is original. All the wood and even the upholstery is all original.

Pics are here, if anyone is interested: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/album.php?albumid=32484

26. sodly

sodly
    from middle

1966 Ford F-100 Camper Special. All-original with 47k miles. I took off the heavy duty two-piece wheels and repainted the rear bumper. Other than that it's as it left the factory. Paint, upholstery, drive train are original. 352 with a 4 speed. Apparently they didn't make very many 1/2 ton Camper Specials. The vast majority were 3/4 ton.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  27. TinShed

TinShed

[​IMG]

This is my survivor, I am second owner. 34,894 miles as of today.

28. 40 year garage slumber !! it's all original ! well not the tires, and coolant hoses.

Attached Files:

29. Liquid Wrench

Liquid Wrench
    from Maine

Here's my contribution to this cool thread.

This '56 Belair belonged to a friend that had passed away Fall 2012. I had known him for years but never knew he owned this car. It had been buried in a small barn at one of his rental properties. Been sitting for decades. My plan was to pull the non running 235 and install a small block but once we dove into it, decided it was just too nice to alter. Totally original right down to the carpets.

Woke it up with all new brakes, tank, fuel lines. Re sealed the 'Glide and pulled the pan for cleaning. Got it on the road last week, presently got 700+ miles this week alone cruising Maine, NH & Mass. -Even got a shot of the clock turning 25k!

Here's a shot of my 94 yr old Dad in it with our Dog Lucy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

30. Be still, my heart!