Register now to get rid of these ads!

Car Club Plaque Photos?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bullet Nose, Feb 2, 2008.

1. Pictures aren't the best, but I can contribute.

IMAG0747b.jpg IMAG0748b.jpg IMAG0749b.jpg IMAG0750b.jpg

2. dicksrodshop

dicksrodshop
    from roanoke va

Here's the club plaque I was telling you about. I haven't found any information on this club.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

3. welded

Attached Files:

4. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

Some of our plaques fresh cast. Ready for paint and polish
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  5. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

I assumed it was a club from NC. Now that I see the photo you posted, I already had a photo of this on the IL and IA pages on my website.

I also researched my Hot Rod and Custom Car Clubs book for other Floor Shifters clubs but the only ones listed were from Canton, OH and Lincoln Park, MI. I have a photo of the Canton plaque and the graphic appears to be the same as on the plaque you found .....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Bullet Nose, have you ever heard of a club called "The Twenty-Ones"? It may not have a hyphen in the name, and it may be just the numbers..I met an old Gent yesterday that says he won a trophy at Paradise Mesa Drag Strip, in San Diego, back in 1957, with Deuce Roadster with an Olds 324 and 3- 97 carbs..he says he still has the trophy and the car club plaque, and might sell me both...My question is, what should I offer the guy? Are they mega-rare, or do they even exist? I don't want to shaft the old guy, but I don't want to take a bath on it, either..I went to the O'Brien Truckers website, and under "San Diego" They don't list any club by that name...

7. Showtime

Showtime

[​IMG]
    One of the original plaques from the club

8. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

I don't have any plaques on my site for a club with that name.

I did check my "Hot Rod and Custom Car Clubs" book that lists a lot of clubs from the 40's, 50's and 60's. In it there's a club called the 21'ers from Escondido, CA, which is not that far from San Diego. It's possible that's the club he belonged to.

If the plaque has a cool graphic on the front and a foundry stamp on the back, it could be worth several hundred dollars to a collector. Not sure about what trophies are worth. If you are able to aquire it, I hope you'll post a photo of it here. Or maybe he'll let you take a photograph of the items to share with us all. You might ask him if he knew anyone in the Oilers from Carlsbad. They also raced at Paradise Mesa.

9. Bullet Nose, thanks for the reply. I went by this morning, and got a quick shot of the plaque, but he was in a hurry, so I had to combine the plaque shot with the trophy. he said that the club had Ted Cyr as a member (winner of the either '55 or '56 Winternationals,) and they were, as shown, out of Escondido. The plaque is quite small, I am going to say about 3 inches tall by 5 or so inches wide, and if you really squint, you can see on the red circle of the trophy, that right below it, it says "Paradise Mesa"..I didn't have the heart to really try and talk the guy of of them, it was pretty obvious that he was pretty proud of them. HOWEVER, he has my name and number, just in case he ever decides to part with them. He was surprised that I knew Ted Cyr's name, but when he mentioned it, I immediately said "Oh, Ted from Escondido Motor Parts, on Pennsylvania Ave in Escondido" and a few other names that I recognized (Leroy Hansen) I said "Sure, I knew Leroy, lived off Metcalf and Rock Springs" he knew I knew who and what I was talking about. I plan to go when he has more time, and just sit and listen...this stuff is going away, and if somebody doesn't get it all down on tape or CD or whatever, it will become extinct.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
  10. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

Interesting stuff.

I was going to write back to say that the book could be wrong and sure enough, it was if this is the same club. Can't imagine there could be two of them in Escondido.

I'll add the plaque to the Escondido page on my website. Did you have a chance to see if it had a foundry mark on the back? I've seen other smaller plaques like that before and some were for racing clubs. Maybe less wind resistance?

I attended the NHRA Nationals in Oklahoma City in 1958 and Cyr & Hopper won top eliminator that year. If I remember correctly, they ran two cars there and their old car won it all.

11. I did not have a chance to check the back of the plaque, but trust me, this guy hasn't heard the last of me ;) He's pretty old, and widowed, so he has free time, and seemed to like to reminisce about the old days....and now that I am retired, I will be more than happy to oblige him. I didn't have the heart to make him an offer on either the plaque, trophy, or both as a package deal, he seems to still be rather fond of them, and I can't say I blame him. I'm headed down to LaLa land this weekend, to a VW Bug-In, so after that, I intend to pay him another visit.

12. johnny_rocket88

johnny_rocket88

Attached Files:

13. dicksrodshop

dicksrodshop
    from roanoke va

Do you think that its the same club just a different branch?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

14. Bangkok Dean

Bangkok Dean

I was just looking threw this link and see this post and remember that I had one of these that had so-cal inserted. I believe it was one of the first 100 made.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

In addition to the one for So Cal, there was also a later version made for the Northwest .....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

Really hard to say.

I think some of the companies making plaques would use the same graphic for different clubs. Dennis O'Brien has patterns for these Vampires plaques and I doubt they were the same club .....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There is also someone selling a plaque on eBay with the same graphic and they have added So Bay as the location, but it's a rip-off of a plaque for a club I belonged to when it was formed in the 50's in Redondo Beach, CA .....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

I'm going to be reviewing the pages on this thread and re-posting the photos that have disappeared. I'd also like to say thanks to everyone who has contributed a photo or two, or more ......

18. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

Here it is .....

[​IMG]

19. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

From Page 2 .....

[​IMG]

20. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

Also on Page 2 .....

[​IMG]

21. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

One more from Page 2 .....

[​IMG]

22. aircoup

aircoup

well since this thread started ive found and rejoined the club , were small but still put on our annual devils darling,s carshow at depot park in Sonoma , every july anyone interested in attending pm me, thanks

23. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

Nice to see a F-100 with Merc taillights. That was the thing to do in the 50's and I'm amazed at all the Ford truck guys who leave those ugly stock taillights on.

Now all you need to do is find a place to add a plaque like this to your truck .....

[​IMG]

24. aircoup

aircoup

haha oh itll go in the back window

25. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

I have heard multiple stories about the large car club plaque collection that was located in Vic Hubbards Speed & Marine located in Hayward in Northern California. Since the business was sold and now currently undergoing a remodel, I heard that they were kept by the Light Family and then I also heard that they are going to be sold as a collection. Does anyone know the Light family that can confirm the real story? If they become for sale I am interested in buying my grand father's old clubs plaque (Toppers of Alameda)

26. plymouth52

plymouth52

27. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

Does anyone have a better picture of the NOMADS - TACOMA, WA plaque .... I can't make out any detail in this one and would love to see a better pic......

[​IMG]

28. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

Interesting ..... Dennis O'Brien has a Nomads - Tacoma plaque pattern but it appears to be different than the one in the photo. Looks like this one has a camel laying down .....

[​IMG]

29. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

I contacted Jerry Light and his response was .....

"They are staying in the family".

30. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

That is wonderful! Great news! Thank you for contacting him. That is awesome!