Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects How can I tell if i got solid or hydraulic lifters in my 402 bbc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by timmy2times, Apr 20, 2014.

1. I just bought a car and it has a 280 comp cam in it and In pretty sure I need to adjust my valves its clicking a little but I got no more info than it was a 280 comp cam thats all the guy knows said someone else did the work 1398047955204.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. Check for valve clearance, solid=clearance - hydraulic=none. JW

3. pdq67

pdq67

Or, push the p/r end of a rocker down and if it keeps going down, it is hydraulic.

Solids will take up the lash and won't move down anymore!!

pdq67

4. I dont have a cam card or anything what is the clearance on a solid I think I remember it being .20 or something I changed the valve cover gaskets and my old buddy pushed on one and told me it was probably solid .
    Another question ive never own a car that had a different cam or anything in it what do I have to ad oil additive when I change the oil

5. I cant remember either but a 6 thou feeler should work on a solid and not on a hydraulic. If your buddy could push a hydraulic lifter down with thumb how could it work at running speed !!!!!!!!!! they must overcome the valve spring pressure also. JW

6. Same thing I was thinkin haha

7. 33sporttruck

33sporttruck

8. Thanks I now.think its the 280h with hydrologic lifters I have stock heads but when I changed valve cover gaskets they were not stock springs
    Do I have to put in additives when I change oil ?

9. mr crocket

mr crocket

Was it single spring with damper or double spring? Single would indicate flat tappet yes use oil with 1000-1200 ppm zinc and phos.Double spring maybe roller upgrade no zinc required. Confused now?

10. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

It really depends on what oil you use. If you're using something like Brad Penn, then you don't need any additives. If you're using one of the modern oils with no zinc, then you need an additive like ZDDP to get the zinc back in.

11. sunbeam

sunbeam

Back the rocker off until you hear it clicking then tighten it a 1/2 turn or so and it should miss if the miss goes away in 30 seconds or so it's a hydrolic lifter.

12. It has dual springs does that mean it has a roller upgrade? And if so i think I have a didnt cam than I thought

13. Well i blew that motor the heck up learned a lot about carburetors while i was at it. Then i desided to destroy a 454. Now im getting started on a small block 350 with a roller cam and some ported and decked heads with roller rockers too. See how many tires i can kill with this motor.

Sent from my LGMS330 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

The answer to this question is oil pressure, right?

15. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm wondering if I should be impressed...?

blowby likes this.
  16. 26 roadster

26 roadster

You blew up two motors in ten days?????? stay away from engines, find a friend...

17. redo32

redo32

First posts were 2 years ago. Still....................

18. And we still don't know of the first motor was Hydraulic or not LOL

19. What we do know is that it needed a driver permanently mounted behind the wheel. :rolleyes:

20. He says he leant a lot about carburettors......I say not enough!! JW

21. He needs to learn a lot about how to drive. A goofed up carb has less to do with a blown motor than a loose nut behind the wheel.

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  22. I was being semi polite :rolleyes: JW

23. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No, the answer is not oil pressure. The answer is that if you can push down on the pushrod end of the rocker and compress the plunger in the lifter, then the lifter either has a bad check valve, it has air in it instead of oil, or is totally worn out.
    The plunger inside the lifter that oil pressure would act upon has a diameter of less than 3/4 of an inch. For math purposes lets say it is exactly .75 inches in diameter. That means the plunger has a surface area of .44 square inches, meaning at 50 PSI oil pressure, the plunger would have a lifting force of 22 lbs. With a 1.5 rocker arm ratio and no friction at all, you would have to have a valve spring rated at less than 15 lbs. You'd have to use ball point pen springs if this were the case.
    A hydraulic lifter has some of the closest machining tolerances of anything in your engine. There are mere ten thousandths of an inch clearance between the inside bore of the lifter body and the OD of the plunger. In the bottom of the lifter is a check valve, which allows oil to get into the void between the bottom of the lifter and the plunger. When the lifter rises, the check valve closes and the only place for the oil to escape is through that very small clearance between the lifter body and plunger. What happens at this point is that the lifter goes into hydraulic lock, or basically becomes a solid lifter for the period of time the check valve is closed.

Last edited: May 2, 2016
    Barn Find likes this.
  24. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

No Hotroddon they weren't. They were hydrologic he said. :D

25. I don't think ten thousandths of an inch is the closest tolerance in any motor. JW

26. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Read it again. Ten thousandths of an inch means increments of 0.0001. Thousandths are 0.001

Last edited: May 2, 2016
    Hnstray likes this.
  27. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Just saying Ten thousandths of an inch means .010...If he said one ten thousands then it would be .0001..Or if you say one tenth it is .0001.

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  28. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

Thank you. I am so glad I asked, now. I actually learned something!