Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical powerglide help please

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by keywestjack, Apr 20, 2014.

1. keywestjack

keywestjack
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Pittsburgh

I finished installing a Lokar shifter (followed directions) and everything looked and worked great, so I thought. I started the car and car went into Park, Reverse, Neutral, but no Drive and no Low. I pulled the pan and the shifter moves the manual valve well. Any thoughts? BTW backing the car back into the garage is a real PIA (lol)

2. squirrel

squirrel

Is this a new transmission? or was it working properly before you installed the shifter?

3. oldsrocket

oldsrocket

There is a stiff cable that runs from the button to the detent throught the stick. Make sure it is adjusted properly to operate the detent all the way. If not that, make sure the threaded rod between the shifter arm and lever is properly adjusted and not overly short. Check for binding of the rod against anything under the car or on the trans. I almost always have to put a bend in them to clear something or another. Beyond that, a call to lokar may be in order.

4. 9200 IH

9200 IH

Did you have to mount the shifter real far forward on the bracket that mounts to your trans? I had similar problems with a TH400 and had to get there bell crank kit so the shifter arm was not pushing almost from the top of the selector arm. The bell crank kit mounts to the tail shaft keeps everything straight and level. The bell crank kit # is S-6999 but that is for th400 and th350

The distance that the shifter was moving and what the distance from detent to detent were, were not the same when the linkage was at such a great angle.

Mike

5. keywestjack

keywestjack
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Pittsburgh

Yes, the it worked prior to my messing with it. I thought at first it was do to the throttle valve being not connect but it was not when I started. Thought I would get a full manual shift but now nothing. I will try out your suggestions. Thanks, Jack

6. M224SPEED

M224SPEED
    from Missouri

Sounds as if the shifter linkage is just not adjusted to engage the linkage on the transmission.

Hang in there you will get it.

7. squirrel

squirrel

Check the linkage to see if it is aligned in each of the positions. Disconnect it at the shift arm at the trans, and put both the trans and shifter into D, see if the two holes align...if not, you may need the bellcrank mentioned above, or see if there's a way to index the upper shift lever to give it more of a straight shot. The trick is to get both levers at a 90 degree angle relative to the linkage, when the shifter is in the middle of it's travel

8. Ghost28

Ghost28

I believe the lokar shifter for the powerglide has a new shift shaft coming out of the transmission that has to be installed with the application?

9. eppster

eppster

yes it does have a new shift shaft that has to be installed.

10. k32t

k32t
    from Hog town

11. 1930 A

1930 A

if you disconnect the shifter and move the arm on the transmission by hand does it have all the gears?

12. keywestjack

keywestjack
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Pittsburgh

13. stakebed

stakebed
    from White, SD

The kickdown or throttle linkage shouldn't prevent it from going into gear, but if it's unhooked and left at one end of it's travel or the other it will prevent upshifting to 2nd, and may stay in second if at the other end of travel.

14. keywestjack

keywestjack
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Pittsburgh

Guys, I got it running right on all gears! I can not thank you enough for your help!! I think Lokar could have done a little better on their directions, but your help made the difference. Thanks, Jack

15. i see you solved your problem, but i thought i would post a picture of the linkage i made for a powerglide, to get the shifter mounted all the way forward. works perfect.

Attached Files:

16. keywestjack

keywestjack
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Pittsburgh

17. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I'm one of the crazies that love powerglides...good to see I'm not alone

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  18. thanks
    i remember guys saying "slip'en slide with a powerglide"

19. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Lucky I've got a nice factory GM PowerGlide floor shifter, early Nova I believe.