Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Cragar s/s washer question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Francisco., Apr 16, 2014.

1. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

absolutely. the slotted (oblong) bolt hole is the clue.

a wheel that was made to fit only one bolt pattern would have round holes

2. Francisco.

Francisco.

3. painkiller

painkiller

Make sure the washers are seated correctly between the nibs.
    Re-torque after some driving.

Attached Files:

4. von zipper

von zipper

I have uni-lugs on my 63 Ranchero! No issues whatsoever! I just cleaned em up last weekend using Coke and Aluminum foil! Then waxed! They're not perfect,but works for me!!! ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1397922903.337891.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1397922925.192947.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1397922946.319849.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. 55chieftain

55chieftain

I would put a little grease on the studs, i've had new studs and lugnuts and had them gall up the threads when I tried to remove the lugnuts. I torqued mine to 80 ft lbs (7/16 studs). But you should recheck after 20 miles or so of driving. Than check periodically.

I thought there were some with a recess for the offset washers, otherwise I would use the centered washer.

If your worried about getting them centered , get a set of the plastic centering rings.

6. lakeroadster

lakeroadster
    from *

Cragar had a couple different uni-lug designs. I had a set of Mach 8 Cragar slots and the lug holes were counterbored in the back of the wheel. Then there was a one piece aluminum adapter, called vari-fit rings, for each wheel that sat into the counterbored holes.

Pretty slick design.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
  7. budd

budd

ok so they are uni-lugs, i have used the ones with oval washers that sit into an oval hole, i have used the ones with a round washer that sits in an round hole, and one that uses a lug nut with a shank that fits tight in the slot of the wheel, i bet on the last one it was this style of uni-lug and the owner did not have the correct washers, they ran the wheels for many years, maybe we need a thread on all types of uni-lugs.

8. Francisco.

Francisco.

A thread would be good, when I first slapped the first one on yesterday I was tripping out, the wheel studs looked way to short but the long lug nuts I guess are designed to take care of that. Who ever came up w this design deserves a good kick in the ass! Getting the first lug nut on at 12 o clock is ok but after that it's a real bitch. If I'd of known about this and that you can order some from cragar specifically for your car I would of went that route. Anyway, here's a pic of the fronts.

[​IMG]

9. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

you will get the hang of it with experience. looks good

10. Francisco.

Francisco.

Thanks bob, I'll post pics soon. Just finished painting the two rear drums.

11. Ahotrod.nz

Ahotrod.nz

Heres's how a Kiwi makes life easier and safer with them uni-slot Cragars.
    There's 4 cars at our place with them and I've fitted heaps over the years.

Firstly I machine up some alloy discs to fit in the back centre of the wheels (used to use tops of old Holden pistons till I ran out of them :) ), about 8mm thick and about 90mm outside diameter,(whatever fits in the inside of the wheel), with an inner diameter to fit over whatever front hub/rear axle you've got.
    This way the wheel is centred even before you fit ANY lug nuts.

I usually start one nut at 12 o'clock but LEAVE the WASHER OFF it, screw it on by hand till the shank of nut is in slot on wheel, then start the 2 bottom ones with Washers ON , then the other 2 ,tighten them 4 up loosely then take off the first one and put its washer on. You have to be careful if using the offset washers when trying to get the nut started you don't scratch the mag.

12. Deuces

Deuces

Ain't that the truth... :rolleyes:
    I'll never buy those...

13. Francisco.

Francisco.

Heres a couple of pics from a little while ago. I took her out for a spin, probably about a good 6 miles. I'm going to go for another 12 later in the week and torque them again. Thanks to everyone who helped me out with good advice����

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

15. Francisco.

Francisco.

Any one have problems with lugs loosening up after re-torquing lugs the second time? I drove it around about 20 miles after initially installing the wheels, then checked and re-torqued them again. I think only about two lug nuts had became loose.

16. Francisco.

Francisco.

Anyone?

17. lakeroadster

lakeroadster
    from *

I have never had issues with them loosening up. I always install and tighten lug nuts by hand using an old school 22 inch cross-style hand lug wrench.

[​IMG]

I use this procedure on each wheel, then move onto the next wheel.
    Install all 5 lug nuts hand tight, then snug all 5 with wrench, let jack down until tire touches ground but don't let all the weight of the vehicle down, then tighten all 5 with wrench, then check all 5 again with wrench, then lower vehicle to ground. Of course all done using cross stud pattern.

[​IMG]

Not trying to be condescending, just trying to be clear.

Hope that helps,

John

Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
  18. oakmckinley

oakmckinley

Hey I have a question. I thought I read earlier in this thread that you put the washers on before the wheel? Or does the wheel go on then the washers and then lug nuts?
    Sorry if that's a dumb question I am by no means a wheel expert?

19. lakeroadster

lakeroadster
    from *

Cragar S/S: Wheel first, then washer, then lug nut.

Other wheels, such as Cragar Mach 8, had an adapter first, then the wheel, then a washer, then the lug nut.

Uni-lugs... it all depends :rolleyes:

20. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

That's how I do it, but it's better if you skip 1 lug when you go the the next one at the 12:00 pos.

^ I agree. BTW, most European cars are hub centric. Most American cars are lug centric.

That's a good idea too

21. Francisco.

Francisco.

Thanks👍👍