Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Reducing wind noise at highway speeds?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by atomickustom, Apr 16, 2014.

1. mike in tucson

mike in tucson
    from Tucson

Dave, I forgot to add that the simplest fix is to roll the side window up. Does wonders for the wind noise

2. partssaloon

partssaloon

Are you running the wind lacing in you're interior? My 57 Chevy PU doesn't have any and it gets all kinds of wind noise. My 48 Ford has well sealed wind lacing and it is as quiet as a new car.

3. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

In the '60s, I worked as a 'line mechanic' at a Buick dealer. I must have used 3 miles of masking tape on new Rivieras, '63 & '64, to spot check wind noise!
    There was a mid-year rubber seal that came to Parts Dep't, for the 'fix'. (door window leading edge/'A' pillar)

4. krooser

krooser

Hijack alert…

Looks like Hales Corners Speedway… the great Johnnie Reimer in the Fred Nielson owned A3.

5. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

BINGO^^^^^what he said^^^^^^

6. If its too loud,,, you're too old ;)

7. I used dynamat in the roof area as well as in floor and doors a few years ago when redoing the interior on my '51 Ford. Then I covered these areas almost fully with dynaliner. I did some test driving before I had the headliner installed and still had some annoying wind noise coming from near the top of the windshield where it was hard to get the dynaliner in, and I had not initially done so in those areas. Just covering everything I could with that foam liner material really helped to further reduce the wind noise, compared to what I had already done. It is not perfect, but is tolerable, and could get better if I got new door seals again and spent the needed time to fit them right.

8. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I don't know about the track, but that's Reimer for sure. My absolute favorite driver - I lived in Waukegan, IL in high school. I Hope this hijack can squeeze in a few more pix! I can only assume these drivers are all hard or hearing or deaf by now, sorry to say. Gary

Attached Files:

9. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

10. Crshndbrn

Crshndbrn

Ha! Good call.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

11. I hate that noise, I get in the daily when the back windows are open.
    You almost feel it as much as hear it, its more pleasant but louder to have all the windows down than the rear cracked. The air pressure inside the cabin keeps changing.

Also my neighbor has a pump truck, the pump moves air to create a vacuum or pressure in his tank. It's not measurably or excessively loud, but its so annoying, almost maddening.

12. whtbaron

whtbaron
    from manitoba

x3... 50's cars used wind lacing around the door openings as part of the seal. When we modify the interiors it often gets deleted and we depend on rubber seals that were really only intended to block half the noise and wind. Contrary to what many people think, that wind lacing was not just cosmetic.

13. castirondude

castirondude

Dude... :D

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

14. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

I like the wind noise... I can not hear the wife complaining.. :)

15. Flamed48

Flamed48

Check door alignment that's a big key factor

16. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Modify the body like a streamliner. In the end though, old cars meant for low speeds, are going to yield something at higher speeds. You've stated the problem is turbulence, only modifying the body lines will effect that. Maybe add an air dam or a wing, but I don't think those are options.

17. X 2 for door fit. The car by design is not going to be a Lexus. When replacing the door bailey did you get a tight fit at the vent window post? The seal on the vent post that the glass lays against did you get that sealed good. The vent rubber around the vent window is it sealed good at the top and bottom where it pivots. On the tri 5 cars which use basically the same door seal did you get it turned the correct way. Many times I have seen the weather strip turned wrong. Saw a car in RC that the weather strip was reversed. Guy nearly died when I showed him. j rubbers cause wind noise. Repop windshield seals that are not seated in the corners do also.

18. Shobra

Shobra
    from SLC, Utah

19. atomickustom

atomickustom

Well, part of the problem is that I have a clamp on mirror on the drivers door and it turns out that the rubber pad had fallen apart at some point and so the mirror itself was vibrating. It's quieter now. I do have wind lacing and I do have some insulation in there but it's too late got the full interior including headliner in place. I appreciate all the input I will be a little more careful about my door gaps and my weather seals on my car!

20. It looks kinda corny, but try ear plugs for those long trips. Good ear plugs filter out harmful high- and low pitch noise. I used them all the time on long trips in my roadster, and I use them all the time when I ride my bike. I'm deaf on one ear and is scared to death to lose the hearing on the other ear too.

The only downside is that once you take away all that wind- and tire noise you'll start hearing all the mechanical noise that will freak you out. :)

21. ebfabman

ebfabman

Get a long hose and get someone to either drive the car while you handle the hose or you drive and give them the hose. Hold one end of the hose to your ear and comb the interior with the other end then note the areas of the most noise. Check around the doors and windows but also check the driveshaft tunnel and firewall areas. Once you find the area(s) of the most noise or most bothersome noise, you can then formulate a way to reduce or eleminate them Good luck.

Last edited: May 24, 2014
  22. bartmcneill

bartmcneill
    from Ada, OK

I had the problem on a newer pickup. I got some of the foam rubber with adhesive and put it in places that I thought might help. It quieted down greatly. I made it look as nice as possible but since it was just a driver, who cares as long as it was quiet.

23. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Four speakers, one subwoofer, two amps, 40lbs of Dynamat Xtreme, 15lbs of Dynamat Ultralite, 75lbs. of mass loaded vinyl, two layers of wool carpet padding, pressure vents in the trunk floor drop panels.

I can't hear a single sound my car makes.

24. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

need louder stereo - Ha! do not seal it up too good: friend had a modified 30's Chevy Woodie with lots of wind noise. put in all types of sealer rubber, etc. took wife for a ride down the highway - minimal wind noise. but, pressure built up so much inside that the passenger suicide door blew open. almost lost the wife. only the speaker wires in door kept door from flying off entirely. he sold the woody.

25. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

That is the funniest thing I've read in a while. Not because it wouldn't work, but because I'd laugh my ass off, if I saw a couple guys doing that.:D

26. I haven't read all the reply's so you may already have solved your problems,but replacing the wind lace should help eliminate a lot of the wind noise. HRP

27. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Ear plugs are great on long trips at interstate speeds... turns the 27 into a Cadillac! But it does block out mechanical noises you might want to hear because a problem is developing. As an aside, I'm doing some research in order to build a pair of one-ear'd headphones for my truck. They would be built using one of the newer Bluetooth systems that are being used by the motorcycle crowd - and include stuff like a voice activated intercom, cell(s), audio for radio / Sat / GPS, perhaps radar detector noises, etc.. I'm hoping the system will not only help tone down the wind noise but greatly improve the conversations. Gary

28. Please keep us posted. I had the same idea a while ago but am too much of a slug to try and develop it.

29. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Will do... Gary

30. Gman0046

Gman0046

If you want to hear wind noise, try riding in a 40 Willy's pick up at 80 MPH. The wind noise coming over the top of that flat windshield and cab is deafening. Lets face it they were never designed to drive at our current highway speeds. That Willy's never met the criteria of a highway cruiser. Ear plugs the only solution. I'd much rather cruise in an air conditioned car with the stereo, air ride and cruise control on. Why beat the shat out of yourself?