Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical buick nailhead to 727 chrysler trans

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nutter, Apr 16, 2014.

1. nutter

nutter

guys I don't post here much but always lurking & reading the problem I have is
    I have a 401 Buick nailhead & I want to adapt a 727 trans onto it why you ask I want push button auto in the car I'm building I want pre 70s parts

is there anyone that does a adaptor for this or do I have to build one any links would be of a help

I have searched the Tech Archive & didn't find much some interesting stuff don't get me wrong but nothing with the 727

2. nutter

nutter

Bump to the top can no one help with this ??

3. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Man, you might be SOL or have to make your own. There's not a lot out there from what I can see and the year of your block is apparently very important.

I don't think your 727 plan is gonna be worth pursuing. I also don't see why you NEED a MOPAR automatic to use it. As I recall, it's just the shifter and works with cables, so you should be able to adapt it to work with any automatic.

Here's what I scared up:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=591544

http://nailheadbuick.com/automatic-transmission-options-for-the-nailhead-to-get-rid-of-the-dynaflow

http://nailheadbuick.com/transadaptors
    http://www.transmissionadapters.com/53-66_nailhead.htm

4. 35desoto

35desoto

The first question I have to ask you is what year is your 727. The pushbutton ones had a smaller spline impute shaft and need the correct year convertor. I'm pretty sure that from66/67 onwards the splines were beefed up and remained a standard size all the way through the 70's 80's etc. To mate the engine trans together will require a custom adaptor plate. I do not know enough about the Buick motor to know how different the mounting holes on the end of the crank are from a Mopar. The adaptor plate should also be cut to accommodate the starter motor . Its not impossible however there needs to be a good level of engineering/machining required to get the result you need

5. Pontmerc

Pontmerc
    from Finland

If you just want 727 behind nailhead, there is a small change to get it bolt on!
    Range rovers use rover/buick v8 and far as i know, 215 has same old nailhead boltpattern.
    Some models of ranges in 70´s do have 727 behind 215.

6. George

George

If anyone makes one, it would be Wilcap. Seems like a 727 would be overkill behind a Rover engine.

7. George

George

The 62-5 would have the modern bell pattern.

8. jimbousman

jimbousman

Sorry to say the Buick 215/Rover V8 does not have he same bolt pattern as the old nailhead.

9. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

X2.........not at all the same pattern.

10. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I think Patmanta in post #3 has offered an idea worth pursuing. The 'Typewriter Torqueflites" indeed were cable operated at the trans end. Using an ST400 trans, in every important way equivalent to the 727, and adapting the shifter to it, seems like a very doable solution. What mods needed should be child's play compared to engineering the trans adapter otherwise required.

11. nutter

nutter

thanks guys all very interesting the Buick motor is a 59 the trans is a 58 the starter bolts to the block so no need to change that (I think) the reason I want to go with the 727 is I want everything pre 70 (you know sometimes its must be) the whole thing is custom made body & all I'm aiming for a 60s theme
    I was told about the range rover but haven't looked yet anything is worth a look I was told the rover v8 was copied off the later Buick not the nailhead
    thanks Patmanta those are interesting

12. gary terhaar

gary terhaar
    from oakdale ny

Not quite so simple.
    Two type of cable operated trans on early chryslers. One that used a park drum (hand brake for park)and one (64-65) that used a separate cable to actuate a parking pawl.
    Travel on the shift valve is minute compared to any gm turbo hydro so engineering a valve or actuator to decrease the travel of the selector valve on the gm valve body would get verry involved.
    Then the separate cable to actuate park on the later selector would involve a separate actuator for that unless you use a early type and rely on a parking brake to keep the vehicle placed.
    The adjustment on the torque flights are verry precise because of a lack of detects on the shift valve.
    The 727 I would suggest for your plan would be a two year unit, (64-65) small block is the application.
    It uses a seperate park cable and has a ball and trunion output.
    There never was a slip joint on any cable 727. Both units used the selector as a starter,park was pushed on the later units and neutral on the early ones.
    In short a piece of .750 aluminum plate (fixture plate would surfice and be a tad cheeper) and a set of transfer punches/transfer screws would get you started in the right direction would be much easier than tring to reinvent the valve body.

13. Seems to me the answer here is to get out your engine lift, raise up the Buick 401, roll it to the side, and return with any Chrysler V8 from the same era. I don't know about New Zealand but here in the states there's a good shot that would be cheaper than buying an adapter kit, some of those things run $700-$1000.

14. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

CHRYSLER 413!

You may even find one with a cable shifted 727 already on it. Maybe even a cross-ram intake!