Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs How do you price a one of a kind car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Zombie 51, Apr 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. henry29

henry29

2. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

When I finished my " 1 of a Kind " and wanted to insure it, The Insurance Company insisted on an Appraisal by a Qualified Appraisal Company , They took a Whole lot of pictures as well as my Build Photo's and went Shopping for Estimates of what replacement would cost .they went to some well known Builders and Got a Value that way .see link below

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=570915

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
  3. art dekko

art dekko

I work in real estate. I am constantly trying to figure the values of properties, all income producing, and each is one is unique. On the other hand valuing a car is like valuing a house. You look at other houses on the block or in the town and make adjustments to your house, up or down, based on land size, a swimming pool, and addition, etc. A car is valued like this.

You compare the condition and quality (including any documentation) of the subject to known sales (from auctions, dealers, etc.) of similar types (racing, custom, etc.) and makes of car and adjust. For one of a kind you can expand the pool of comparable sales to include other cars by that builder, if the builder is someone well known for that kind of work.

Last is the reproduction approach where you start with the value of the stock car today, estimate the cost (labor and materials) to modify the car and then take a depreciation of that based on the age of the modifications and general condition of the car.

Simple, right?

4. 4wd1936

4wd1936
    from NY

I think the "ass for every seat" theory is not completely true. There has to be at least two or you would still be stuck with every dumb thing you ever bought.

5. Zombie 51

Zombie 51
    from New York

The car is certainly in the same league as this. I would never have thought to go as high as 187K, which is exactly why I posted this question. Thanks for the help.

6. Hopefully in the future the family will allow you to post photos of the car and more details on who the builder was/is.

The more information that is available the more likely someone here can point you in the right direction. HRP

7. marlinmustang

marlinmustang
    from Nanuet NY

Put it in a auction with a number that you would take the money and run. The number it ends with would be the ball park. At that point it's up to you if you want it gone today or next month or next year. An Auction gets three prices. First whole sale, second value and third two dumb people with no clue.

8. oldolds

oldolds

You don't need to post a pic. Just say what mag and month. Someone else will post it. Public info.

9. jesse1980

jesse1980

I would like to see it.

10. norcal rizzo

norcal rizzo

The suspense is killing me here. Can we have a year and a color? Maybe a brand?

the metric system? never heard of it.......

11. You could move the decimal point to the left 2 spaces and I still wouldnt be interested. Nice work, ugly style.

12. This thread has run its course. Best of luck to your friends.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.