Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs How do you price a one of a kind car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Zombie 51, Apr 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zombie 51

Zombie 51
    from New York

Lets just say you own a one of a kind car that was in all the magazines a few years ago, built by one of the more famous builders of today. How do you figure out what to ask for it when you want to sell??

2. squirrel

squirrel

auction, no reserve, you'll find out what it's worth to a couple people.

Or you could ask a million bucks, drop the price 10% every week, see how long you own it.

3. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

do you have all the paperwork to prove the claim
    is it an utter pusbucket that no one wants?
    is it in mint condition?
    if there is no paperwork, its ugly as hell and nobody liked it and its a rusty mess, its worth not a lot.
    some people just think of a huge number and see how it goes, there are people out there who could value it for you, More info needed probably.

4. Start high, drop price, because you cant go the other way.

Just remember "one of a kind" doesnt always equate value.

5. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

When you pay someone else to build a car the time, labour and hours build up. That's where the $$ go. I've seen cars owners are asking moonbeam sale prices for that I consider are not worth the money. Just because someone wants a certain sale price means that will achieve that price. On the flip side if someone really wants a car bad enough they will pay what they consider a fair price. Compromise is somewhere in between where everyone is a winner, the buyer and seller. Market forces dictate. A collector car that sold for $200K a few years ago may in today's market realise only $150k. Like the stock market, external factors may force prices up and then down irrespective of you paid for the stock. Not that hard to loose money. Caveat Emptor, buyer beware.

6. Beau

Beau

You donate it for a huge tax write off.

7. cb1

cb1
    from Wisconsin

e Bay auction, no reserve, let er snap!!! The last 45 seconds of the auction are better than any drug you can buy.

Or, a few pictures and a description on here and wait for the, well just wait for it...

cb1

8. TANNERGANG

TANNERGANG
    BANNED
    from alabama

Just decide what it would take in CASH to hand someone the keys.....if they buy it, fine...if they don't drive it and enjoy it......their will always be some come along later and say they would have given more...just ignore the idiots and be happy with what you got..........in this day and time, people pretty much know about cars or have a friend that knows what a good deal is.....your probably not going to get the guy that just won the POWERBALL LOTTO and you've got what he always wanted...

9. High5

High5

I agree.

10. creepjohnny

creepjohnny

Put it in an auto auction

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

11. Put up a pic and let the HAMB crowd decide...
    A pic is worth a 1,000 words and at least $1,000

12. It's simple really - How much do you want for it?

13. Ole don

Ole don

There is a seat for every ass, and an ass for every seat. Start fishing.

14. As much as I hate Barret-Jackson, run it through B-J with a reserve of what you would be willing to let it go for. If it doesn't sell, you can brag that it is worth more to you than anyone else in the world.

15. Do you want to have it for sale ?

Or

Do you want it sold ?

Price accordingly .... :cool:

Jim

16. wicarnut

wicarnut

A professional appraisal from a Hot Rod specialty appraisal company should give you an idea of worth and something to show perspective buyers. IMO, any car is only worth what you get for it on the day you sell, As someone else said, Go fishing or if you want sell it, put a realistic price on it and there is a cover for every pot. Good Luck! John

17. I have pondered this very question. How do you arrive at a realistic starting sale price ? Many have answered what the market is all about with no reserve auctions and the like but they have not answered your question. What I have discovered is there is no easy answer . Do your homework . Search for comparable sales . The market dumped in 2008/2009 but has been recovering only for some very special upper end cars.
    Values and pricing are affected by local , regional , national and international market conditions and buyers and what is the current trend . You'll need to qualify who is the potential buyer you want to sell to . The higher in price you go the less there are who can afford to purchase . If the car is a rarity getting an accurate appraisal can be challenging since a muscle car appraiser may not be well versed in brass era cars . Yes there are value guides but they are not always accurate .

Lo Ball buyers are bound to show up whether at an auction or at home . At an auction you are more vulnerable to these people and your stuck with them and their games. Pricing to high scares off everyone . Catch 22 I guess .
    In the end I believe your looking for a formula similar to the one used for pricing houses. One like this exists in the classic car value guides but does not take in the custom builds or historic values that some cars may have . This is where doing your homework is extremely important in setting a realistic asking price . If you find a better way let me know as I haven't found it yet.

18. Is this a hypothetical question or do you own the car in question? HRP

19. goatboy

goatboy
    from kansas

amen ! just ask the guy who had that 63 tempest drag car barn find !

20. DadsBlueFord

DadsBlueFord
    from Hayden, ID

Call up Gas Monkey. Nobody pays more than they do. Except their rube customers.

21. noclubjoe

noclubjoe

Hahaha! That's awesome!

22. Zombie 51

Zombie 51
    from New York

HRP, Its not my car. It belongs to a friend's father, who sadly passed away last year. They know I'm a car guy so they asked me for advice. Theres really nothing out there to compare it to so its hard to figure a starting point. I don't have the ok to post it here yet, but I did tell the family that this site would be a great place to post it. It was a magazine cover car and made its way around the country to all the big shows. I'm just trying to give them some advice on where to start the asking price.

23. Zombie 51

Zombie 51
    from New York

Thank you. Thats a really good idea. I will pass it along

24. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

Well if this was the case and I liked the car I would probably keep it. As far as being one of a kind, That sounds scary too me, One of a kind doesn't always mean good!..And most cool cars that were built recently Are not really one of a kind, When one builder does something cool it is copied by many other builders. Also in todays world of building hot rods, You have to do something completely wierd in order to be something never done before. Either way to give you a honest answer about what to price this imaginary car that we are talking about, I would need to see the car. Also magazine coverage does not add much value to a car unless the car is featured in that mag, I mean if the magazine was covering a car show that it was at and it is only in overall shots of the page, Then That really don't help value much. One thing to keep in mind When big name builders cars are sold They are most of the time always sold to big money! So if you have one, and you are going to sell it You might as well not be a middle man, Go straight to the end "Big money buyer"

25. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

Parts + labor. Then you cut it down 70% for tire kickers.

26. Every used car is one of a kind. My boss used to say, there are no two used cars exactly alike.

27. prpmmp

prpmmp

My MO!! I buy high,dump alot of money in it then sell LOW!! So you need me or someone like me to buy it!! Pete

28. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I suggest you read post no. 23 in order to know what the situation is. The car was a cover car, etc, and he does not have permission from the family to post photos, etc. He is just trying to be of help to a friend whose father passed away.

29. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

this is such a vague question there could not possibly be an answer. like ''How long is a piece of string?"

30. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

lde
    A lot of the perceived or real value of old cars be they genuine classics, race cars or hot rods or show cars is their history and what they during the time they were building that history. Who built it ,who owned it, where i t was shown and what awards it won might have as big a factor as the actualcar.

Then you get to the car it's self, is it a fantastic looking car or is it one of those built for show points things with 17 scoops, headlights that while looking wrong for the car show an incredible amount of work to instal them along with grill and tail light changors that make you wonder about the sanity of the builder at the time but obviously earned several extra show points at every show. If that is the case it may be one of kind and have won awards but may have a very low interest by prospective buyers that would indicate it would have a low value.

The other thing is condition, was it in dry garage and somewhat taken care of or did it sit out back or in an open shed and deterioriate to where it will need a serious amount of work. Missing or damaged parts add into it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.