Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1954 Chevy Bel Air ignition ??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 54FISH, Apr 18, 2014.

1. 54FISH

54FISH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hello , does anyone out there recommend a good ignition switch to use?? I am switched over to a V8 / 12 volt system . Tried using the stock ignition, but ribbed barrel broke off . These original switches are costly so I wanted to go to aftermarket with acc , but one which fits the 1" hole in the dash well & is good quality . Any suggestions? Would the 55' 12 volt work & mount well. ?? Thanks for all the help!!

2. squirrel

squirrel

Nothing will fit the original hole as well as the original switch.

What does the hole look like? for those of us who don't remember.

btw 55 does not have ACC position. Try something a little newer, like early 60s

3. 54FISH

54FISH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the reply , the hole is a 1" diameter hole with a square notch coming off the hole to keep the switch from rotating . Was hoping the 55' had same dimensions & notch but thought i would ask first. I still have housing , maybe I should just get new tumbler/ key

4. 54FISH

54FISH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This switch I have has 4 pole , sol, ign, bat & acc & is a delco enemy switch . I know the clear plate which says lock, off , on & start, shoot maybe this isn't a true 154 switch ( bought off ebay) .

5. squirrel

squirrel

If the lock cylinder is the only problem, just get a new one. They don't cost much.

Pictures help....

6. Leebo!

Leebo!
    from Yale OK

Yeah, Chevs of the 40s has them pretty cheap.

7. 54fierro

54fierro
    from san diego

I used a switch from a later model chevy(60s?). It had spades in the back instead of screws. Likely had the large plug instead of individual wires from the factory, but its been in there for a long time now no issues.

I do remember having to look for the correct nut as the original had a finer thread. But it fit the hole fine.

Now if you just need the lock cylinder, you got off easy. :)

8. The 55 switch should work fine. If you get up to a 60' switch the threads are different as stated above. If your hell bent on the acc to the left go to one of those. Lots of them came with a bezel in the box. This would have been older stock. In a lot of cases the tumbler will fit. You just need a tumbler and your fixed. I think.

9. 54FISH

54FISH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for all the help , I just want be sure , replacement tumblers have the paper clip hole , correct?? Thanks

10. 54fierro

54fierro
    from san diego

Yes. That same cylinder fit ALOT of years.

11. 54FISH

54FISH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ok thanks very much !!!