Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 62 Bel Air Daily Driver Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Shane Spencer, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Just saw this thread for the 1st time. WOW! Hell of a DD you have there and nope, you aint f'ing around at all. A Maryland car that solid is amazing. I work in Baltimore a lot. Let me know if you're interested in a '62 Impala steering wheel, I have a very nice one.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
  2. benchseat4speed

benchseat4speed
    from Golden, CO

Same here. Very cool I like it:cool:

3. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1388531590.293601.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1388531602.342947.jpg

The car has sat for the last month or so. Still finishin interior and gonna start paint prep :D sneak peek of the door panels and crappy pic of the dash

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. Gman0046

Gman0046

Green, those door panels look like the ones in my 63 BelAir. What did you use for the upper lighter color?

5. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

I just got the huge vinyl panels from ezboy already sewn in that pattern and made them work for my door panels. Worked out nice. Follows a stock style. And then i took the door panel trim off the lower half and moved it up to the top to add a little something to it. Itll look nicer with arm rests And the cranks and handles on too. Something to break it up

6. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Been a while. Car had a windshield leak that soaked the carpet and then cold weather set in, and i mean COLD. Plus i need to tinker with the carb and it went through another set of points. I ended up buying a little ford ranger to drive daily in the bad weather and the bel air has been sittin. Car ran great till the points went again and still fires up first few turns even in 10 degree weather after sittin. Plans for the spring are to completely finish the interior for good, paint it white, and i just got some sweet air ride parts in :D

7. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Im runnin daul 450c viairs into an 8 gallon tank. 8 valves, and slam specialties re 7 bags on all 4 corners. Got the bags, compressors and brackets, still need to get the rest of the parts

8. n847

n847

Wow man...car looks great! My DD has been slowly wearing out on me lately so I'm thinking about going this route with an old straight 6 truck or car. Keep it up!

9. Gman0046

Gman0046

Green, I've got a Ride Tech system on my 63 Belair and absolutely love it. You'll be amazed at the way your 62 will go down the road.

10. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

I cant wait man, everyone has said these cars ride amazing on air. And there very simple to install air on. Im pretty excited

11. bigpokie

bigpokie

This should turn out good !!

12. Brog

Brog

So this is what you been up to.... been waiting on that Apache!

It's alright I've gotten sidetracked too.

Good work, jack of all trades. I wouldn't even consider trying to do interior work

13. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Tryin to learn a little of everything man haha. Hows the ford comin man ? I gtta check ur build thread again

14. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Excellent work!! I love it!!

15. junkyard junky

junkyard junky

Looking good! I had the same problem with my 62 not wanting to turn over at all. Come to find out the neutral safety switch broke. Would love to lower my wagon but it wants to drag when trying to pull it into the building.

16. Brog

Brog

Just sittin' dude. Been working on a Mustang drag car and making a lot of progress at the shop where I work. Only things that I decided on changing is a auto, 1.5" chop, and maybe even a hemi. Gonna get my own personal shop first so I can go at the truck 100%

17. bigpokie

bigpokie

18. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Ordering my accuair vu4 manifold and controller today. Should be bagged in the next few weeks. Just started a great new job so ive been a bit busy lately

19. 1959apache

1959apache

Congrats on the new job, What are you doing now?

20. bigpokie

bigpokie

Lucky bastard. On the job and the purchase !

21. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Running warehouse equipment for frito lay. Its probably not going to be a career, but its great money and benefits. Were looking to move to the san antonio / austin area within two years. This job is a major stepping stone to save money and get a house down there hopefully before i turn 24. Plus theres a little extra $$ for the toys as well now hahah :D

22. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Ordered my air line , tank and some misc pieces today. Painted up some of the brackets. Heres a few pics .....

Primed

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Painted...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Those are just two of the brackets. You get the point though. Also got in new window felt so i can finally get the door panels buttoned up. Then after the bags are installed itll be off to paint

23. bigpokie

bigpokie

Those are the plates for the front, right ? If so, why do these kits use the plates and not a cup on the bottom ?

24. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

The flat plate is for the front lower, the second bracket with the cup is the rear lower. Im not sure why they are like this. You just bolt that plate to the lower a arm up front. I know theres been hundreds of guys who use those brackets with no issue but im not sure why there designed like that. Theres guys on the lowrider forums who have built different style brackets from scratch. Not worth the time and material $ to get that involved in my eyes on a basic budget build

25. bigpokie

bigpokie

i guess i asked cause i have length of pipe that i will make the cups, but was wondering why i couldnt make one for the lower a arms instead of a plate, like my s10

26. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Id assume you could. Looks like a reasonable idea

27. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Finally got my window felt and buttoned up my front door panels, knock out the rears tomorrow hopefully

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also painted the trunk

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

28. BenDaPirate

BenDaPirate

Just read through this whole thing. WOW!!! Keep up the bitchin work!

What backspace did you end up going with on your supremes?

29. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

I cant remember the backspace measurement off hand, its been a few months since i ordered em. There 14x7 reverse, they only come in two backspaces, standard or reverse. I know the rim will fit but im worried i may need to run a smaller tire. The ones i have are a little wide

30. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

[​IMG]

Got one of the rear panels done