Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 49 Chevy Truck Temperature sender question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rodknocker, Apr 17, 2014.

1. rodknocker

rodknocker

My current project is a 49 Chevy 3100. I have verified that the temperature gauge, and lead works, and want to keep the original gauges. With the engine transplant the lead now comes up short by about 1'. Is there a way to lengthen the copper lead?, I've asked some local guys, and have recieved mixed answers, one saying there is a gas inside the lead so it can't be cut. Any help would be appreciated.

2. squirrel

squirrel

Search, you should be able to find a thread here explaining how to do it. There is indeed a substance inside the tube, and when you cut it, it all leaks out. The plan is to get a new mechanical gauge, cut off it's longer tube, and solder it onto the old gauge, and not let the substance escape. I've never done it...it sounds fun.

3. T Weed

T Weed

You can also just order a new gauge from The Truck Shop, I just replaced my temp, oil and gas gauges. They work good as the capillary tube for temp is longer, the oil goes up to 60 lbs and the gas gauge is 12 volt. The gas gauge needle was a little longer and requires a slight mod on the back of the besel and all was good to go.

4. Nubomb

Nubomb

On my AD with a small block chevy, I drilled the back of the left head to accept the sender. It has worked for 35 years!

5. squirrel

squirrel

aw, what fun is that? :rolleyes:

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That would be your best bet. the pressure on the stock gauge doesn't go high enough for the later model engine in most cases anyhow.

The other thing might be to buy and aftermarket gauge with a face and dial the right size to modify to fit in your gauge housing. It would take a bit of work but it wouldn't be too spendy.

7. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

The truck I built for a guy we installed a vintage air and heater unit and I made a fitting under the dash for the sending unit to go in the heater hose before the heater control valve and it worked good.

8. rodknocker

rodknocker

Nubomb, by chance do you have a picture of this? The heater tube sounds like a good option too. Thanks guys

9. rodknocker

rodknocker