Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Evening rides in your hot rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TANNERGANG, Apr 17, 2014.

1. TANNERGANG

TANNERGANG
    BANNED
    from alabama

How many of you take an hour or so a couple times a week to just get out and drive your Hot Rod?.......In the last couple weeks I've took mine out and just rode around the country roads where I live...donown roads I haven't been down in a few years........if your not doing it, you need to start....it really relaxes the mind and brings back the Old Days of enjoying your car.

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Yep, take mine out just about daily.

3. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Just about everyday!

4. I live in a town with only 5000 people, yet we have 2 seperate cruise nights, one at the DQ and one at a local pub/resturant. Mondays and Wednesdays. The great part for me is I live about 7 miles out of town and it's all country roads. It really does clear your mind. Just keep an eye out for deer.

5. ROBERT JAM

ROBERT JAM

To much winter here,I go out in the garage with the 32 think about it .

6. 53 ford

53 ford

Went for a ride around this evening. My neighbor was cleaning up his yard, I stopped and ask if he would like to go. He threw down his rake right there and jumped in, his first ride in my jalopy. I showed him the pull for the wolf whistle, he tried to wear it out,

7. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

I'd love to, but the temp has to get above 40. Even with a heater, there are enough air leake is a very cold ride if the temp is below 40. Gene

8. Yep , pretty much daily :)

9. squirrel

squirrel

Not as much as I should. But I have put 95k miles on my 55 since I built it in the mid 90s, and I've put almost 15k on my 57 suburban since I finally got it done last summer.

Now that it's warming up, I'll get out in the evenings a bit more, I hope

10. TANNERGANG

TANNERGANG
    BANNED
    from alabama

All you Yankees here what us Southerners are doing while your shoveling snow.......that's why we have so much fun and our attitudes are always better..hehehe

11. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I don't drive mine as much as I used to, it is tough to get things moved out of the way in the shop to get it out. But I used it a lot more when I kept it at home and my favorite thing to do was after the 11 oclock news was over I would jump in and go for about an hour ride.

In an open roadster on a cool night you get all the sights, sounds, and smells that you miss during the day. Food smells from restaurants you pass, trees, and you go through places where the temperature is cooler than other places.

I really miss being able to do that. :(

Don

12. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I do love passing Rainbow donuts on east McDowell early in the morning! Or the Tai joint up the street at night, or... Damn, now I'm hungry!

13. Y-Blokkah

Y-Blokkah
    from Anna, Tx

Either in the car or on the cycle.
    It's good for the body and the soul.

14. Every weekend night and some during the week, too much traffic to go out during the day. I ride the van pool for work, but I used to drive a panel every day......might be driving the '28 at the end of the year if we lose the van.

15. CruisinJRod

CruisinJRod
    from Arizona

I take mine out once to twice a week. I love the feeling of cruising in a 60 year old Buick. I always wondered the stories & trips my 1952 Buick has taken.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

16. napalmv8

napalmv8

I try to do this once a month =)))
    I totally agree with previous messages - the real relax is to drive on small country roads :)

17. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

There's not many country roads left here in SoCal , but I often do a turnaround out the canyon road just to let the roadster stretch her legs !

18. I'm with you Tanner, 2 -3 times a week (100 -200 miles) just to clear the mind out

19. While I love going to shows, swaps, and cruize nites, some of the most enjoyable times drivin my old cars are just going for a country road drive for no reason at all,...some of the best drives are also drivin home from an evening cruize nite when they are about 20-25 miles away, nothin better.

20. I try to drive one of my hot rods every time possible,my black sedan has been in the road every day this week..and was yellow until I washed it yesterday afternoon.:D HRP

21. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

My grand parents had a fun weekly tradition, Thursday eve to the DQ for a treat after dinner. The drive-in movie theater is also a hoot so count yourself lucky if there is still one in your area. But just wasting gas is fun, too. One of my buds calls it "stretching the rods." Ha. Gary

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
  22. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

near every day :D

"Git yer motor RUNin"

"Head out on the HIGHway"

"Lookin for adVENture"

"and whatEVER come MY way!"

had a German film crew followin me around one day ----

the dogpark "photobomb" in the video below is FUNNY :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6Oz0HE8yNA

in the 60s in our littl town, in Illinois, it was the A&W drivein on the outskirts of town that we went to ;) orr the Steak & Shakes in Peoria -- JIST like "happy days"

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
  23. ghornbostel

ghornbostel

I do this with my hot rod too but what I really find relaxing is my 106cc Gilera and a 20 to 30 mile trip on Nebraska and Kansas gravel and dirt roads (absolutely no hard surface). That pretty well resets everything in my body.

regards
    Greg Hornbostel

24. I try to take mine out at least once a weekend. Sometimes the weather doesn't permit it though.

25. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I spend time between three of mine. Try to drive them all a lot, but it usually adds up to about 12,000 miles between the three of them.

26. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

You and I have to be the only Gilera owners on this board!!!:D Mine is a 124V

27. TANNERGANG

TANNERGANG
    BANNED
    from alabama

Whats a Gilera?.......back to topic...I put a new top water pump pully on my old 5 window the other night...got through about 10pm...decided to ride over to the school house and turn around...about 3 miles...ended up about 30 miles from home...got back about 11:30 pm....just cruising down the road..no radio, windows all down...life is good.

28. ghornbostel

ghornbostel

Need Louvers, yea they really are a hoot and there are probably a lot more of them around.
    Tannergang, I started this and I apologize for sharing my hot rod and bike experience. I retract my statements due to OT subject matter.

Regards
    Greg Hornbostel

29. When I get back from a drive, my face hurts from grinning... It's almost embarrassing

Rusty

30. Steves46

Steves46
    from Florida

Just about every other day I try to get out for a short cruise. I especially like it if I had a crappy day at work because it puts a smile back on my face.