Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Old patina painting technique

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CruisinJRod, Apr 16, 2014.

1. CruisinJRod

CruisinJRod
    from Arizona

Hi guys,
    ok So my 1952 Buick exterior paint needs some work. It has the 60 year old mother nature patina. I am on a budget so I can't get a pro paint job done. My plan is to go with the old patina look for now.

As I was sanding down the rough rust spots and chips with some Scotchbrite pads and sand paper, I noticed that it was lightening up the dark rust spots and making it easier on the eyes. So this got me thinking. Why not paint the car with a similar factory color using a rag to spread and rub in the the color evenly around the whole car? This way The color matched color will be evening out the rust areas by bringing it back closer to what the un-rusted paint looks like.

This was just a thought. I have not tried it. BUT, as soon as I get time and a get a color match I will post some photos of the progress. If anyone has tried this or has seen it done before, let me know if you have any tips.

2. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

3. CruisinJRod

CruisinJRod
    from Arizona

WOW! found this photo from the link you shared.
    [​IMG]
    This photo shows some good results. Im going to buy some CLR for the preparation stage then.

Thanks Arkiehotrods!

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I wouldnt smear paint all over it with a rag, I could see fixing a rust hole maybe and blending it back in with the rest of the car but not what I think you are describing.

What you see above "is" patina, I wouldnt try dobbing paint in the unpainted area as that would be a complete desaster.

I tried that CLR on a very rusty toy truck with little success but it looks like it worked pretty good on that light rust on that fender.(Ive seen that pic before)

I have "wet" sanded with 180 with some pretty good results
    (you might try that in a small area to see how you like that)
    You can use wet SOS pads to clean your chrome up a bit too if you want.(not stainless)
    Looks like you have the patina look already but I understand wanting a little cleaner less orange rust look, you may even want to talk to someone about buffing it out a little, I dont know how to do that correctly myself but I need to learn.
    Good luck! Thats a pretty neat lookin ole car;)

[​IMG]

5. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

CLR helps to get rid of rust stains etc. You be the judge.

6. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

The side without the rust.

7. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

A few years ago I wiped down the 46 Ford sedan I have with Ospho and a Scotchbrite pad, then wiped it dry with a rag. It removed the rust down to clean bare metal and it actually made what paint was left look much shinier and nicer.

All I wanted to do was slow down the rusting until I can get around to rebuilding the car, and that was probably 4 years ago and it still hasn't rerusted.

Ospho is cheap and you can find it in hardware stores, Home Depot, etc. Just don't goop it on so heavy that it runs because the runs will show up as cleaner spots than the rest of the car.

Don

8. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

OK I see what you mean now, maybe I should have said "supposedly" helps get rid of rust stains etc. Sorry I couldnt read into your sarcasm.:rolleyes:
    I cant personally say Ive had any luck with CLR either as you can see from my previous post about the toy truck but I was at least clever enough to figure out which side was suppose to be the result from it on the fender.:)

9. CruisinJRod

CruisinJRod
    from Arizona

Alright guys... IM SO EXITED :D:D:D I tried CLR. CLR REMOVES SURFACE RUST!! I Didn't have time to do the whole car so I started with a piece to see how it worked. It didn't work with just a rag so I started using a scotch brite pad. As soon as I started scrubbing with the pad it was coming right off.

Home depot had another brand similar to CLR. The other brand is double the size for the same price. I might try that too. Ill post more photos as I clean off more.

Here are some progress photos:
    image.jpg

image copy.jpg

10. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Hey thats lookin pretty good, maybe you could try using just the scotch brite pad
    (or the 180 sand paper)and water to show us all if the CLR is really doing it or the scotch brite pad so we can see if the CLR is really worth the money for this or not.

I used the 180 and water for similar results cheaper than CLR but it may have scuffed the paint a little more than a scotch pad,not sure?

11. Crshndbrn

Crshndbrn

I've been wondering about this for a long time. I will happily follow your progress on this one.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

12. el_bole

el_bole

Great thread. I'll be giving this a try on my 61 chevy pick up.....Buick is nice dude...

13. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Also free of any calcium or lime! :)

Chili Phil likes this.
  14. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I had to fix and blend in a few spots on this 55 but it is one of the cars I wet sanded with the 180,
    (no CLR) The wet sanding takes old brushed on paint off the original too.
    The first pic was before I started on it.
    Both sides were basicly in the same shape when I started and thats not rust on the hood, Its a greyish color, It was rusty too but cleaned up pretty good also.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
  15. Dang good thread....

16. xpletiv

xpletiv
    from chiburbs

CLR will get rid of calcium and lime if you let it soak. And soak.
    Those commercials are a joke.

Now, to keep it from rusting again after treatment, could you use a wax treatment like Renaissance Wax?

17. CAMSHAFT666

CAMSHAFT666

Wow!!!
    I didn't see that coming...

Cool thread!

18. CruisinJRod

CruisinJRod
    from Arizona

Good Idea! Im going to work on it this weekend. When I do, I will try without the CLR to see if it still works.

I was so sceptical about this because there were so many videos online showing you all the options to remove rust and nothing worked for me.

Stay tuned everyone! I'll post some more progress photos of the cleaning process.

19. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I bet you find the results without the CLR will not be the same, I think it takes the chemical to effect a complete derusting..........same with the Ospho I used. I found that by letting the Ospho sit on the surface for a few minutes, scrubbing it with a Scotchbrite, and then wiping it off with a clean rag while it was still wet it cleaned it down to bare metal. It also seemed to put a protective coating on the bare steel and as long as you didn't touch it the rust would not reform.

Don

20. CruisinJRod

CruisinJRod
    from Arizona

I have a feeling it will not work without the CLR too. Before I used CLR I used a light sandpaper and most of the rust and color were just smearing around.

21. CruisinJRod

CruisinJRod
    from Arizona

22. CruisinJRod

CruisinJRod
    from Arizona

Here are some more progress photos.
    I tried just using the scotchbrite pads with water and it was not dissolving the rust as easier.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

23. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Lookin good, keep up the good work, I would probably gamble on a small container of the Zep if you think its the same if its not as good then go back and get the CLR.

24. bdk1976

bdk1976

The dollar store around here has a CLR knockoff on the shelf - haven't tried it yet myself, but might be a cheap option (not sure how much the real or HD stuff is).

25. CruisinJRod

CruisinJRod
    from Arizona

I'm going to buy the zep brand to try it out. I don't know about the dollar store one. Might be worth a try if you have a location by you. I don't have one close by.

Im a designer in multiple fields, and the newest one is my classic car. 1952 Buick
    creativepile.com

26. LSGUN

LSGUN
    from TX

I did this years ago with an off topic car with OG paint, worked really good.

27. CruisinJRod

CruisinJRod
    from Arizona

So I had a couple hours this weekend to finish up the right side of my car. I continued to use my leftover CLR I bought. The CLR has brought so much life to my 52 :D.

Here are some Before and after Update photos:
    (sorry dont know how to resize image to fit perfectly in forum post.)
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 and a boner like this.
  28. a much better looking ride after a little elbow grease! keep it up

29. Landmule

Landmule
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That looks much better. It's amazing what a few hours labor and modern chemistry can accomplish!

30. CruisinJRod

CruisinJRod
    from Arizona

Thanks guys! Its amazing what CLR will do. Now that I know it works well I will be using it on all my tools that have accumulated rust.