Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest I'm devastated. Bad bad news.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rickybop, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Johnny, NF, MG, (Jim)...thank you.

2. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

These are some of my favorite voice messages that Sandy had sent me over the years. Some are very funny...as she often was. Some are very sweet...as she VERY often was. ALL of them are awesome...as she ALWAYS was. I hope that you enjoy these recordings, which so perfectly illustrate her exceptionally loving spirit.

My dear sweet Sandy...Darling...Sweetheart...I love and miss you beyond words.
    Many tears.
    Note: Some explanation is in order, so that you can fully appreciate each message. For each one, I suggest that you pause the video, then read the explanation for that particular message...then play the message.
    1 "You do a lot." I would often get more done around our place (usually in the yard and gardens) when Sandy wasn’t at home. I’d enjoy seeing her surprise when she got home. She’s thanking me and suggesting that I take it easy for the day.
    2 "Questioning my sanity." I believe it was early spring. Her amazement at it being 57 degrees, yet snowing.
    3 "What's Love Got To Do With It?" Sandy was heading to a Tina Turner Concert with her sisters and sisters-in-law...in a limo. You have to realize that there was a time when hearing Sandy sing was a rare occasion. Early in our relationship, she wouldn’t sing a single note...she was always shy in that regard. But a few years of hanging around with me loosened her up. Eventually, she’d happily join in with me, singing silly stuff around the house...and we'd laugh so hard. Sometimes she’d even come up with some very funny stuff of her own. Here, she's ROCKIN'!
    4 "You even got gas." Sandy and her coworkers were going to have a small party at work. So I cooked and packed up a bunch of good food for her to take, and also cleaned and gassed up her truck. Gassing up her truck doesn’t sound like much, but it was often very important to her because she’d be running late for work and she really wouldn’t have time to do it herself.
    5 "Fr. Estibule.” I'd sometimes go to church by myself when Sandy couldn't go with me because she'd either be working that Sunday morning or she had just come home from a Saturday night shift and was too tired. She's just teasing me a little for me missing church that Sunday.
    6 "Patsy is sorry.":You might know who the female singer Patsy Cline was...and familiar with the song “I’m sorry…so sorry…” If ever Sandy and I had a disagreement, and she’d maybe been a little unreasonable and wanted to apologize, she’d sometimes refer to herself as “Patsy”. For a long time, both of us were unaware that it was actually Brenda Lee who recorded the song "Sorry". No matter...Sandy's reference is still funny.
    7 "Help me." Sandy is imitating some of the elderly patients she cared for at the nursing homes, and at the same time humorously bemoaning the fact that she's at work…and hungry...and hinting for me to have dinner ready when she gets home.
    8 "Last call wammer jammer!" Sandy had gotten up earlier than me and was already outside, sitting on the patio reading her bible, drinking coffee and watching the birds. I was in the house, still waking up. She was calling me to come outside and start our day together.
    9 "Hellooooo." Remember Julia Childs?...the first TV cook? Sandy is imitating her. Just saying “Hi.”
    10 "Tight ass." Sandy’s referring to her being at work and me being home “working my ass off” around the place.
    11 "Happy Birthday to me." I had spent the previous day cleaning up the back yard, the patio, our pond and fountain, etc…so Sandy could enjoy herself out there the next day...which was her birthday. I’d gotten her a bottle of Baily’s Irish Cream to sip on. I was in town running some errands.
    12 “Fr. Estiban again." In Sandy’s foreign accent. Just being silly.
    13 "I want to eat this day." I think it must’ve been autumn time, and the trees were in full color. Sandy is expressing her appreciation for nature’s beauty.
    14 "I have all your money." Sandy's got all my money...and who knows when she’ll be back!
    15 "Mickey D blues." For nearly a year...until their passing within 6 weeks of each other...I cared for the 92 year old couple (Lee and Norma) who lived a couple of farms down the road. Periodically, Sandy would take over and give me a break so I could get some sleep or take care of business. Lee liked to go to McDonald’s almost every morning and hang out with the other old guys. But this morning, Lee’s car was being repaired and I had Sandy’s truck...so they didn’t have any “wheels to go”. Again, I loved that she would feel comfortable enough to sing to me.
    16 "I am your woman." I absolutely love this one. I was going to nursing school, which was stressful enough. But we were also having some financial difficulties. Sandy was making an effort to reassure and console me. I like to imagine that she’s talking to me in the present time...from heaven...telling me that she’s ok, not to worry about her, she has God in her heart, she knows that I’m experiencing some torment, (missing her) and telling me to have faith in God that we’ll get through this with His help. And most importantly to me...for me to know that she’s my woman and standing right by me. Awesome. Just awesome. Exactly what I need to hear...both then and now.

Last edited: May 17, 2014
  3. RPL

RPL

Very sorry to hear of your loss. She's in a better place and you're left in the vacuum. Looking at the responses here. You're surrounded by people that care about you. If she enjoyed it here, I'm sure that she would want you to stay in touch here with people that care.

4. Roothawg

Roothawg

Hang in there buddy. Holidays are hard. Cherish the good times.

Root

5. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

RickyBob,
    I'm sure Sandy is looking down on you today. My mom passed away 3 days before her Birthday and we had her service 3 days later which was my Dad's Birthday. It was hard to say the least. The first Thanksgiving I did without her almost did me in. When you see the flowers blooming that is her way of saying "here I am". Hang in there and God bless you.

6. Bruskie

Bruskie

Sorry for your loss, My prayers are with you.

7. doc's

doc's

Sounds like she was truly an awesome lady....those voicemails are incredible!!

8. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

RickyBop, listening to Sandy's voice mail has made me want to do a better job looking after my wife. I aleady do a lot of the same things [she loves it when I fill her car up and wash it] but we can always do more. You are a great example to all of us on here. See, Sandy is still inspiring people even now. Tommy.

9. JB_roadrage

JB_roadrage

Awe man I am so sorry for you loss..... I can only imagine the pain you must be going through.... Be strong pal, and know we're all pulling for you....

10. autobilly

autobilly

Easily the most devastatingly sad post I've read here since Andy died. May she rest in peace and may you find the strength to cope.

11. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm so proud of her.

And you guys are awesome. Thanks for sharing Sandy's birthday with me.

12. Ironhorse74

Ironhorse74

So sorry for your loss. Our prayers are with you.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

13. hallrods

hallrods

Hey Rick and Happy Birthday to Sandy sounds like good times in those messages. God will shine down on you and Sandy is there to guide you. Like a lot of the other posters said you have a lot of friends here Good luck my friend Jack

14. el_bole

el_bole

Love and prayers go out to you and your family.

15. Custompainter99

Custompainter99
    from San Jose

So sorry for your loss. You may not have had any kids, but,,, you have a huge family here on the hamb who are feeling your loss as well..take care friend.

16. tmac396

tmac396

I am so sorry for the loss of your beautiful wife. I just read this whole thread with tears in my eyes, and I don't cry easily. I cannot imagine how you must feel, but it is one of my greatest fears, as well, since my wonderful wife of 34 years has asthma and I have woken up a couple of times to find her not breathing. Thankfully, we keep a breathing machine and medication close at hand, so I was able to revive her every time. Ricky, my heart goes out to you for your loss. You two obviously loved each other very much and after reading all of your stories about her, I can understand why. You two had something that many only dream about and you were very lucky to have had each other for the time that you did. Hang in there and continue to keep her with you every day.

17. NEWFISHER

NEWFISHER
    from Oregon

Those voice mails are GREAT! Thank you Rick for posting them.

18. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

Hi Rick,
    Thanks for the PM's, text's, and phone calls it is always great to hear from you. Man, listening to Sandy on those messages made me crack up. I can picture her playfully doing these and then giggling when done knowing it will make your day. I'm sorry I haven't gottten on here lately work has had all my time...well that and fixing cars that always seem to find thr wrong right time to fail. I sure hope you continue to share your fond memories and awesome stories as it helps all of us as well. You are an inspiration to us as we all have times we need to hang in there and plow through. Keep on keepin on Brother Rick. Shawnie says hi, hopes your doing well, and we both look forward to seeing you sometime this summer. More on that later!! Keep in touch Rick, we love ya' brother.

19. clubcoupe37

clubcoupe37

I am so sorry for your loss. You are in my prayers!

20. NEWFISHER

NEWFISHER
    from Oregon

Rick,

The sun is out here in the NW and hope it's warming you in your travels. Thinking of you and Sandy.

Jon

21. Please accept my deepest sympathies. She reminds me of my loving,selfless wife.

22. X2

23. opunui

opunui
    from Honolulu

Prayers and Aloha are with you on this journey. Sounds like a wonderful young lady we would all be proud of knowing.

24. Gerry Moe

Gerry Moe

25. M1Lover

M1Lover

I can't come up with the words that express my sympathy for you my friend. I can only hope it will get better over time for you. I tried to put myself on your shoes. I can't go there. Kind wishes. Hunter

26. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Rick...It's even harder today, right now, to tell you of my sorrow about your loving wife.
    I met mine (Joey, she's my third wife) in 1977, she was younger, a customer of mine.
    Believe me, marriage was the furthest thing from my mind, after TWO previous ones!
    I had finally found out what women were all about! (or should I say, 'religion-less women'!)

I read your first posting with disbelief, then was stricken with grief...Unable to write my condolences.
    Like all our other HAMB brothers, finding the 'right words' was impossible...but attempting to write them turned into 'backspace', I'll write later...
    Joey read a few pages with me, we were very affected by the news. (she is also religious, and has led me into the 'light'...we were so emotion stricken we had to stop reading.)

Taking in the quotes from Sandy makes me also 'laugh and cry', as another brother said somewhere back a few pages...
    It was Joey's birthday yesterday, I prayed a sincere Thank You to God, who guided me to this angel.
    God bless you, and help you thru this sad time...
    Mike in Atwater, CA

27. RCM59

RCM59

My heart is truly with you. Your brothers here have already written the best words.

28. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks, fellas. I'm still here. I log on fairly often, because I do talk with some of you who stop by to check on me from time to time. But I haven't been posting on this thread recently, partly because I figured it had basically gone on long enough and had pretty much served its purpose...and I figured we should maybe leave room for more on-topic threads. But I still look at this thread sometimes, and re-read some of your posts, and check to see if there are any new ones. (which I see there are) I haven't posted elsewhere on the forum at all, (except once I think) because I'm so caught up with trying to get myself back on track. I'm still struggling with the loss of my dear Sandy and some pretty difficult "logistic" issues. Consequently, I haven't really had a lot of time or hot rod "spirit", and not much to contribute that's hot rod-related. There's no getting around it...this has been and continues to be very very difficult. I want you to know though, that I'm still kickin', and essentially doing ok.

Jon, (NEWFISHER) Sandy left us 5 months ago last Friday...the day that you and the others posted again. Thank you for your kind words and thinking of us.

Ratfins56, Thank you. And if Sandy reminds you of your own selfless wife, you're a lucky man...and eternally blessed.

Thank you Chuck, (wingspread7) old buddy o' mine.

You too, opunui. Thank you for your respectful words about my Sandy.

Gerry, thank you for the songs, pal. The second one got to me.

Hunter, (M1Lover) thank you sir. If you (and the rest of you) possibly can...do try to go there. Really try to imagine what it would be like and what regrets you might have after the fact...things you would've done and said...things you wouldn't have done or said...things you could've done for her...and act accordingly. There's no time to waste. Tell her how much you love and appreciate her. Thank her in both word and deed. Listen intently to her wants and needs...it's more important than it sometimes seems. Maybe try to think of something you know she would absolutely love...something she's talked about...or maybe something she hadn't even thought of...a trip...a gift...a favor. Bust your ass. Spend some money. Knock her socks off with a big surprise...and little ones too...even if you have to sacrifice something of your own. Make her feel safe and taken care of. And if you find yourselves in the middle of an argument and you can possibly do it, try this. Stop...let it go...tell her it's ok and that you understand, and kiss her...hug her...hold her. Tell her you'll love her for eternity. Make sure she knows. Make sure she really knows.

Mike from Atwater, thank you for your thoughtful post. Thank you for sharing your own experiences and the good influence of your loving wife, Joey. If you don't mind, please relay a belated "Happy Birthday", a big hug and a sincere "God bless you" to her from me. God bless you both. God bless your life together.

And last, and certainly not least, RCM59. Brother dude man, there are no "best words". "My heart is truly with you" means so much...regardless of whether they've already been said or not. Thank you so much for your heartfelt post.

God bless you all...and your loving wives.

29. Glad to hear from you again my friend.

30. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Max.

I'd like to share one of Sandy's favorite songs. I like it too. Granted, it's ultra-mellow...but it's "our" song. It expresses how Sandy and I both felt about our life together. From 1969, the female group Mercy, "Love Can Make You Happy".

Max Gearhead likes this.