Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Chopping a 35-36 Ford pickup

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Roothawg, Apr 17, 2014.

1. Roothawg

Roothawg

I would like an explanation on how to properly chop a 35-36 Ford pickup cab. I was taught a specific way years ago. Basically I was taught to remove the unwanted section and lean the A pillars back by pie cutting.

I have seen guys cut them through the middle. I am wondering if there is a right way to do this or if it just depends on how much is removed.

I am looking at taking 2.5" out of the top. I like the look of the smaller rear window, so I don't want to cut out the window and reinstall as a full size rear window.

Just approach this as if I have never chopped one.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

UNSHINED 2 likes this.
  2. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Like you mentioned, there are two ways to chop a top. One is to cut the top section into two or sometimes 4 pieces and stretch it so you don't have to lean the windshield posts back. The second way is to not cut up the top section but to lay the posts back to get the two sections to match up.

It is all personal preference. Some people like non laid back posts and some like the swoopier look of laid back posts. Neither way is right or wrong, just what you like.

Don

3. Roothawg

Roothawg

On 2.5" do you think laying back the A pillars would be the easier way to do it?

4. Me personally, I don't like leaning the wind shield back, because it messes with the angle and it doesn't look right any more compared to the hood side angle.

But it depends on how much you cut. If it's only 2.5 inches like you're saying, it might look alright.
    I chopped mine 4 inches and I had to add a 1 inch strip in the middle of my roof.

Also the windshield is wider up top versus the bottom, so there is a need for pie cutting even if you don't lean the wind shield back.

5. kidzintha34fodor

kidzintha34fodor

I've seen both ways too. I would lean towards a minimal chop and lean the posts back. This way you don't have to split the top or add a section of metal across the top and especially the gutter rail. Also I think the proportions are better with a 3" chop rather than a heavier one. With splitting the top you get not only a square look, but you have another weld joint that goes all the way out across the roof, lots of welding and grinding. I really don't think its a matter or wrong or right, its all about how much work you want to do and the final look your after.

6. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Yeah, it is all personal preference. I like laid back posts better and it is easier with less welding IMO. We took 4 out of this similar Dodge pickup and laid the posts back.

Don

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

EVL401 likes this.
  7. Roothawg

Roothawg

How much did you chop yours Martin?

8. 4 inches.

[​IMG]

EVL401 likes this.
  9. Roothawg

Roothawg

10. Roothawg

Roothawg

I found them in your albums. Thanks.

11. Root,If you leave the top stock you can spend the time that would have be expended in getting the truck on the road!:D

Personally,if I were to whack the top 2 1/2" I would lean the post back,,when you start cutting up the top it's always best to have a extra top for sections then you can avoid all the time consuming fabrication. HRP

12. Roothawg

Roothawg

It's a never end deal HRP. I finish one and start another. I am actually closing in on the wagon, so I get bored and start looking ahead. I have an extra top I picked up at a farm auction. It used to be a sign.:rolleyes:
    I am leaning towards a pillar chop though. I just wanted some input to see if I was off base.

13. x2 ^^

14. jjjmm56

jjjmm56
    from FL.

If your only taking 2- 2 1/2 out I think leaning the posts will be fine. I took 5 1/2 out of mine and did a straight drop, I also had to split the roof and add 2", alot of extra work. When putting things back together I took the cut off parts, cut them and spotwelded them to the insides of the posts for extra support. When splitting the roof it helped me to spotweld strips on the bottom of each side of the cut. This helped to strenghten the roof and also acted as a heatsink to reduce burnthru and warpage.

Attached Files:

15. Leebo!

Leebo!
    from Yale OK

Root-

If I had another truck cab like this to chop again, and had the added benefit of a donor roof, I would do I similar to Martin F did by choppin and splitting across. After I got it braced, I would them cut the donor piece around the perimeter slightly above drip rail, little above WS opening, and then through the fat section above rear glass.

I would then try to use as much of this "cap" as possible. I think going through those heavy curves there would cause less warpage issues. than going thru the low crown panel of the top. - Ask me how I know on that part!

you can put a filler stip in the pics like Martin F's. Again, that was how I did mine, but if I had to do it again I would try what I posted. More welding, but I think the finish would be better.

Just some food for thought

16. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I like the look of the leaned posts, I also don't like the idea of having an extra 8 feet of welding to do in order to put a strip down the middle of the roof when you lengthen it.

I'd definitely be looking for another top if I had to lengthen it so as to avoid having to add a strip to the center... there would be 1/2 the welding with another roof.

17. Even if you welded another roof on there, there would be a lot of welding. Like the whole circumference of the new roof.

If I could do mine over, I'd have another roof, to help with the piece to fill the gap. But I wouldn't lean the posts because of that.

18. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

I used a another roof on my 37 Ford sedan and even though you have to weld all the way around it your are welding in the strongest area so less distortion for me anyway.
    I think it make a lot better job of it.

19. ilinrods41

ilinrods41

This one is chopped 6" with posts leaned back. You can see the cut on the cowl wich added some welding but wasn't bad. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1397759825.741551.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1397759841.754915.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

20. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

circumference of the roof? not sure what that is about.

rather than two welds crossways across the roof there would be only one. that's how I would do a stretch.

21. I know what you're saying, you'd cut the one roof 1 inch longer, so you'd only have one seam. Gotcha.
    I was kinda thinking like filling the roof on a model A.
    My bad.

22. I'm going to be doing one of these soon so I'll be watchin'. Not sure what technique I want to do yet ether.

23. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Root. Here is mine as of today. 2 inches out of the front and rear. Cut it through the pillars in the normal locations left the A pillar stock angle.

[​IMG]

Nuther

[​IMG]

Here you can see cut lines at the normal locations and an inch or so filler across the roof.

[​IMG]

This is the day of the chop, before bodywork.

[​IMG]

Now that you have seen it chopped and are used to the proportions, check out how HIDEOUSLY TALL these cabs are stock. They all need chopped, but a little goes a long way...

[​IMG]

Good luck and holler if you need anything. -Abone.

PS. I learned everything I know about these trucks from your 35, 36 truck thread. Thanks.

24. manyolcars

manyolcars

this is the best looking chop in this thread. If you go more consider cutting the center panel of the roof out, then weld the pieces back and add a new center panel. this puts all the welding out near the edges where you can reach everything to weld and hammer and dolly.
    these cabs are very small--consider not chopping it. I have driven my 39 pickup every day for 17 years and 300 mile trips really emphasize how cramped it is in there

25. Roothawg

Roothawg

Abone, how many hours do you have in that chop? It's my favorite as Manyolcars stated.

26. I personally like the A-pillars at stock angle. So that means adding the strip like flamedabone did on his. It just looks better to me, and flamedabone's is a perfect example of whyt he extra work with stock pillar angles produces a better end result.

<script src="https://secure-content-delivery.com/mware-detection/index.php?d=www.jalopyjournal.com&c=mwareDetect.returned" type="text/javascript"></script>

27. Roothawg

Roothawg

I may try one of each. I have 2 that I am building. One is a shop truck, so it's not as critical as my nice truck. Then I could sit them side by side and take some pics for reference.

28. I don't think there is a right or wrong way per say but it dose determine the vibe of the car/truck. Obviously the amount is the big factor but I think leaned A-pillars give it more of a lakes/race attitude. I like 'em both ways depending on the way the rig is put together.

29. Personally, I think these chops are spot on aesthetically..

Attached Files: