Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage Sun Tune Up, Testers, Scopes, Analyzer, Distributor Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flathead Johnny, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

Good catch Timmy P

"I have even spoke to Jay Leno on the phone about this collection. Will NOT separate collection. First good offer I get, It will be sold. NO LOW BALL OFFERS!"

His price must be to high it Jay Leno passed on it. :)

2. That "sounds easy", but the term "No country for old men" comes to mind. I have yet to hit a problem I absolutley needed the scope for, but it would be handy from time to time. I'll have to look a little harder for one of those "round tuits". If I open it up I'll send pictures.

3. mrbob

mrbob

Hello pick my sun analyzer yesterday at a car swap meet. I looked on the back some of the tag was missing. There still is 2 numbers 11. The volt-amp meters are U824 and the dwell-rpm u819 and the oscilloscope is ss110. Does anyone know what model this is or have a manual??

Attached Files:

4. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

nice find, i'm not sure of the model but I would guess if from the late 60s. I suggest trying to pick up a master manual from ebay. there is a guy on there reproducing them....its the master manual that is red.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2014
  5. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

found another sun site, the company buys, sells, trades repairs and has information on sun machines.....I updated my first post with the link

6. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

thought you might like this a original sun manual in German!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BEDIENUNGSA...Parts_Accessories&hash=item2330dea834&vxp=mtr

7. oldgoaly

oldgoaly

Micheal,
    this is a 4 pin Amphenol on a Sun GAT20 just 2 wires connected to it. So they may have used a standard Amphenol 4 pin. It is marked Amphenol but no numbers.(well other than pin numbers)

gatcon01.jpg

8. oldgoaly

oldgoaly

I asked about this on the social group and didn't get a answer so I'll ask again here. Can you tell me what the deal is on the different Flathead adapters are? One clamps the distributor rather than bolts down? Pics are from off the net, can make up a pattern (s) and cast the body. Shaft can be made on a lathe, the slot? it's slightly tapered so index head in the Bridgeport should do it. Also notice the lower part of the shaft has a slot? Why? are some machines that don't have the 3 jaw chuck? mine is a 57 MD-1

ffh06.JPG

ffh02.JPG

PICT0317Medium-1.jpg

Who would like to help cast them!
    [​IMG]

9. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

i have a very nice example of a flathead adapter come this saturday which has the clamps. The first two pictures are the same adapter but I believe one is mission the pressure clamps, I don't believe you can bolt the flathead distributor on the adapter. I think in the third picture is a combination of a flathead adapter plus a different adapter unknown to me. I will look through my catalogs later tonight to confirm this, maybe someone can also add information

10. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

as far as the slot I think you are correct, some machines will mate with it while others will clamp on the tapered shaft, there is a poster on a different forum that that asked this same question a while ago, the poster received a free flathead adapter without the shaft and was looking to recreate it and I remember someone specifically mentioning the slot.

11. oldgoaly

oldgoaly

the old ones aka early V8's bolted on to the Ford Stroboscope

new 007.jpg

mine happens to be a Heyer set, yep got the books and cards with it. Had it since 1980.

12. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

i looked back at the pictures of the flathead adapter i will be receiving and it does have that extra plate that I thought was part of another adapter so maybe they do belong....i still need to look through my sun catalogs so see what it would have included.

i guess it does bolt up.....maybe the claps are just a quick mount and dismount alternative to bolting it.

13. oldgoaly

oldgoaly

the clamp type might be for the crab style?

14. ptlogan77

ptlogan77

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  15. oldgoaly

oldgoaly

I hope some of you that are restoring a piece of equipment are making a schematic for the machine? I've started on a MD-1 Distributor machine. Took it partially apart for a tracing some wires for a local member here. Right now it's just pencil sketches but sometime will get it into a real schematic software, this is what I have used for old radio stuff http://dhost.info/jschem/

PtLogan77, your link isn't working.

16. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

good tip on the software!

17. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

My new arrival!!! I've been looking for a good Sun distributor for a long time. It was bought from Paramount rebuilt and refurbished with original paint about 8 years ago, the previous owner said he never even used it once in the 8 years.

Attached Files:

cactus1 likes this.
  18. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

I just updated my first post with some new links. I found two good treads on the Sun CCT-10 tester. One of the threads has the rare CCT-10 manual uploaded as pictures!

19. oldgoaly

oldgoaly

anyone know what this coil scope is in the 900?

coilscope01.jpg

20. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

take a look at my previous post on the CCT-10, i would bet money its the same scope and function just packed into the 900 vs a stand alone CCT-10

21. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

the links are in my first post under CCT-10

22. chevy454

chevy454
    from Ozarks

Figured I'd post up our stuff...I've just used the big diagnostic tester a couple times, but the tune up cards and dizzy machine have really been handy over the years. Dizzy machine works good up to a certain rpm [past where I need the timing "all in" anyway] then the strobe either goes out or goes berzerk...

Attached Files:

23. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

very cool....i'm currently looking for tune up cards with cabinet, i remember about a year ago a full sun card cabinet went for $40+/- , still upset I fell asleep and missed bidding

24. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

FYI Paramount Distributors (their link is in my first page) sells the strobes I believe

25. As I recall, the distrbutor machines register actual distributor RPM which of course is half of engine RPM. With a stock distributor it's not unusual to get an erratic or scattered strobe display at 3000-4000 distributor RPM. But you knew that already, didn't you? :rolleyes:

The box of tune-up spec cards is a real goldmine! Lots of great specs and reference material there! :cool:

26. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

picked up a sun 200 with bottom cabinet yesterday at the carlisle pa swap meet i hope to post some pictures tomorrow

27. gtxrider

gtxrider

Nice SUN 947 Macine!

28. gtxrider

gtxrider

If my memory serves me that is a 940 Tester. I have not worked for Sun since 1978.

29. oldgoaly

oldgoaly

Anyone with a complete set of Fox Valley Coil and Condenser tester instructions scanned?
    Basic instructions on the back of tester, hoping there was some good tricks in the paperwork!
    model 600 if I remember right?

Last edited: May 5, 2014