Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Swedish Dry Lake Roadster

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.B., Feb 28, 2014.

1. ESGEE

ESGEE
    from Sweden

Yummy! yes it is...

2. Majo

Majo

Nice Color. If the roadster still get a cover?

[​IMG]

Majo

3. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

Thank you! :)

Thanks! The tempo in the build has been a bit high the last months, but I hope I will have time to have a day off soon. Day job takes it's time too... :mad:

See you there, Lars! :)

Thanks! It's getting there soon... :cool:

Thanks! Yes, it will get a tonneau cover. Will take measurements for it tomorrow. Today I picked up some stuff to make the seats. Plus had the rest of the text done by the great Italian pinstriper Blaster. We did 14 hours on the car yesterday with aging the modern paint and then Blaster put his heart in to the texting. A sneak peek...
    [​IMG]

4. what a pleasure to see how it comes together and then such a talented guy striping it, lovely! rock on, J.B.,

Cheers, Carsten

5. ESGEE

ESGEE
    from Sweden

Likes the sneak peak... Cant wait to see it finished

6. Tease! can't wait to see it!

7. v-v

v-v
    from Finland

looks damn good!

8. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

Thanks, guys!

Today we started to do the template for the tonneau cover. Hopefully it will be finished before the car show, he said... Hey buddy, it's a MUST! :D
    [​IMG]

But I need some help from you HAMBers. Where can I find myself a wire for my mechanical tach? It's a 8000 rpm wing Stewart Warner with a little bevel gear for the crank. Have never built this kind of thing before. :confused:
    Help, please!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  9. Pinewood

Pinewood

J.B. I would think you could have a cable made if you can figure out what the tang sizes are for your gauges. I used http://ddinstruments.com/ here in Minnesota to have a mechanical speedo cable made. I know they're also a dealer for SW gauges so they should be able to help you.

Awesome project btw. I'm looking forward to seeing it finished!

10. Dusters swe

Dusters swe
    from Sweden

Hi Kent.
    Just thought I'd check with you which bracket you would have to your angle drive. Have Never seen any mount that fits on your angle. I have the SW mounts and angles drive to flathead to spare. Like this one.

Attached Files:

11. Mr 42

Mr 42
    from Sweden

Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
  12. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

Thanks for the links, Lars! :)

I am in the garage every single minute when I'm off work...

Have started the upholstery
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

...and the throttle. Made from a Model A
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

...and the steering wheel
    [​IMG]

...and cut the pipes
    [​IMG]

...and painted the rims (hate that masking...)
    [​IMG]

...and took off the front axle to paint and also off with the -32 brakes
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

...and put on the 1940 brakes
    [​IMG]

...and had my friend Andreas do new rings for the newer seals
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

...Front brakes done!
    [​IMG]

There are more things being done, but I forget to take pics.. :p

Back at it tomorrow! Now time for a beer!!! :D

13. Kiwifruit

Kiwifruit

Absolutely loving this build! Very inspirational. Keep working and posting pics.

14. Love the throttle assembly,using old castings/forgings is cool!
    Enjoying the ride.

x77matt likes this.
  15. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

Well, working away like hell here... :)
    Only one day left to work on the car and then it's off to the car show. I must be a fool to think I will make it, but... :rolleyes:

And that guy who will make my tonneau cover makes me a bit unsure... Last chance is to do it is tomorrow otherwise I will miss having that very important feature for the show... I will be hunting him tomorrow. He promised to have it ready and quitters ain't my cup o' tea. ;)

Since last update Friday I have been playing a show with the Tennessee Drifters on Saturday and Sunday I celebrated my son's 9th birthday. And spent a few minutes in the garage... :D

Had to get that seat ready. I will make some extra pieces on the side of the seat to get it more level It looks like this because of the deep box I made for the seat :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I was lucky to get seat covers for free from an upholstery shop that had these laying around from a few years back and also some foam from another shop that had some left overs. So the complete seat with wood board and all upholstery has costed me about $80 in total. That's a fair price...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here we go!
    [​IMG]

While I was working with the upholstery, Benny made a new clutch bracket for the gear box. All done from piece of thick metal like the one showed
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Once upon a time, someone made these special foot pads. Looks like a mix of 1932 and Model A. They are so sool looking, so I had to keep them. Just needed a new bolt for one of them
    [​IMG]

This morning my father in law came to help me do the last bit of the floor Lots of measuring to get it right. But now it fits. Need to do a metal piece on top of the pedals and column
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
  16. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

And here they get some paint
    [​IMG]

I sanded that damn 1940 Mercury steering wheel for hours... Gee.... I hate it...
    Here it's finally ready for paint :)
    [​IMG]

And some primer
    [​IMG]

And gloss black
    [​IMG]

Then a friend called me to let me know that I could come to pick up a mannequin for the car show. An old 50's one that I will use to wear my racing overall. Since it was 1 hour away, I lost 2½ hours. But now I got it laying in my station wagon. Hope nobody calls the cops when they see a hand and a couple of feet sticking out from under a blanket... :D

When I got back tonight I had to start on the tail light/license plate bracket. I will use a 1934 tail light
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now I really needed to go home to get some sleep. But before that I needed to do a quick mock up of the 1940 Mercury steering wheel and the winged Stewart-Warner tach. Just to have some inspiration. Now it's time to go to bed! More work tomorrow. :)
    [​IMG]

17. Great work on your project!! How did you mount your master cylinder? Love to see a picture.
    Thx
    S

18. Gee you work hard!

Seats look good and thats a result on the cost too.

I like the clutch release arm idea.

good luck with meeting your deadline...I hope you make it

Jay

19. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

one of the best roadster builds on the HAMB, love it!

20. flthd31

flthd31

Beautiful build! I'll be referencing this well done thread for a long time. Thanks for taking the time to show your vision and execution.

Could you elaborate a tad on what you and Blaster did to "age the paint a little bit". Love the look. Like you, I don't prefer a hotrod finish that looks like it just came out of paint booth.

21. olskool34

olskool34

Wow, great updates! That interior looks really nice.

22. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This thing just keeps getting better and better!

23. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

Thanks for your kind words, everyone! :)
    I promise to get back with details after the weekend. Now it's all too much to sort out with packing and thinking of all things to bring for 5 days off incl. instruments and other stuff. I'm also doing 12(!) Tennessee Drifters shows this weekend combined with a record release while at the Custom Motor Show. :eek:

Just back from another long session in the garage. Tomorrow I have to take the car to the car show and there is no more time. I need polish the car there at the show. The paint was a hit new when we tried to get the paint a bit older looking, so I need to get rid of some polishing/sanding scratches.

Started the day with finishing that tail light/license plate bracket.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then I finished most of the engine. I will use the Thickstun intake for the show and also in the beginning when I am trying out the brand new build. The engine worked fine with this and the rest of the car is a totally new build. Will probably have some issues here and there and it's nice if the engine is working ok at least. :) After that I will change to the 3-carb set up.
    [​IMG]

While I was working off my long to do-list, Andreas finally called to say he will come over to do the tonneau cover. Great!!! I was worried, to say the least. :rolleyes:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  24. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

And now no more waiting. I will show the HAMBers the car first. Not that this is some kind of super GNRS winner car, just my personal taste in hot rods. I hope you will enjoy it. More pics after the weekend! I'm booked for a Bonneville display, but that's all I know. :D

Here's the whole car before the point of no return of the transformation to the dry lake roadster I had in my mind. But I must admit that I had my thoughts of leaving it like this too... :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

But this is how it all ended up. The drag link is on now too! Haven't seen the whole finished car outside in daylight yet. It was dark when I left the garage at midnight (one hour ago). Tomorrow will be the first time to see it outdoor all done!!! :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now it's time for a shower and a few hours sleep! :D

25. Kiwifruit

Kiwifruit

Yowzers! looks great J.B., amazing effort!

26. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

27. fastmike

fastmike
    from Mesa AZ

Wow that car is absolutely perfect in every way! Great job on it

28. Looks fantastic you can be proud have done a great job, putting in all those hours and hard work has paid off.

29. Bra bygge kent :)
    I love it, its very close to perfect :)