Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Chopped 40 Merc windshield rubber / stainless questions

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Eyeball, Apr 16, 2014.

1. I'm trying to get the glass sorted out on my 40 Merc. I ordered a windshield gasket from MACs. I cut and glued it to fit but it really wrinkles up in the corners and side. I wonder if its just not a good quality rubber or just old stock. I made masonite templates which are thinner than the glass will be so I don't know if that is the issue or what. This is a one piece gasket, it looks like Drake offers a 2 piece gasket, one for each side. Would this be a better way to go?

Next question is the stainless trim around the windshield. Are most people welding this up or capping them at the seam where the chop is? Same question for the center stainless divider. I was thinking I would cut it and reform the end by hand. Thanks for the help!

Attached Files:

2. bako48

bako48

for my windshield we just put it outside in the sun for a couple hours to warm up and then just pulled it till the wrinkles were out. The stainless just like you said put a clip on the joint. people have used hot water to get it to become more pliable. there some good somewhere on here. patience............

3. bako48

bako48

does the rubber have a locking strip on the inside? mine does and it didn't straighten till I locked it then moved it around and adjusted a bit more to get it right.

4. There is no locking strip on this one. I used that type on a 48 Chevy I had and didn't have any wrinkle problems like on this one.