Register now to get rid of these ads!

More American Graffiti Dragster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chicken coupe cook, Aug 1, 2006.

1. chicken coupe cook

chicken coupe cook

a friend is looking for some info on the milner dragster that was used in the movie more american graffiti. he was curious as to where it is now and any pics that you might have.

some facts on the web:
    Before the movie, it was raced by the Masters and Richter Team. (This fact is refuted by Larry Anderson who states that the Masters and Richter car was a Fuller chassis and the one in More American Graffiti was a Don Long Chassis.)
    Before the movie, the car was raced in Northern California in the AA/FD class for several years.
    Before the movie, it had a 392 hemi in it.
    The picture was probably taken in 1967 or 1968.

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  2. Is that the same car ? Milner's had a blown small block in it.

Deuces likes this.
  3. Ask Herbie Hancock of the Pharoahs.

His email is [email protected]. I think. I'm runnin by memory.

4. After the movie was finished, the movie company ran an ad in National Dragster for both cars. I had some pics that you could request from them that were similar to a faded mag cover shot. I don't remember the price but the cars weren't real good. I think it was Davey Urehara(sp) that ran the show for the movie people. I remember him saying that they wanted to make back to back runs with no cool down time.

5. chitbox dodge

chitbox dodge
    from dunlap tn

I thought the real car was powered by hemi. they didnt come up with the SBC until they wanted to make a movie. or at least i thought anyways.

6. Mmmmm.....could be ! :)

7. Paninski

Paninski
    from Sylmar, CA

I don't know why everybody keeps saying it was the M&R car, it wasn't. The M&R car was about 18" shorter. I personally was the one who picked up the dragster for the movie from a barn in Canyon Country about a mile from the 14 freeway off Sand Canyon exit. The car was taken to Dave Uyehara's shop and updated for the movie. Larry Hoge drove it in the early filming and Dave Uyehara drove the later scenes, including the crash. I was there for the whole filming at Fremont in September-October of 1978. I witnessed every pass that was made in the filming of More American Graffiti movie.

Deuces, XERB, mrtc4w and 1 other person like this.
  8. Really hard to argue with this guy. Great facts from someone that was there.

Thanks for the info.

9. DaveyJonez

DaveyJonez
    from Houston

Except I would tend to think it was Larry's brother Bill Hoge that drove- Larry tuned all of the Hoge Bros cars, while Bill was the driver

10. rustydibris

rustydibris

Here's the truck that was used I the movie to trailer the car...
    [​IMG]

11. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

I remember buying and building the model after I saw the movie which I saw at the old Fox theater on Whittier BLVD in Whittier. The theater had the illusion of being outside a old village at night with ceiling that had tiny lights to resemble a starry night.

12. Dakota Kid

Dakota Kid

More!

13. Paninski

Paninski
    from Sylmar, CA

I stand corrected, it was Bill who drove and Larry tuned. It was 35 years ago. That was one fun month at Fremont Raceway. Hung out with the Hoge Bros., Mike Mitchell, Dave Uyehara, Dan Horan Sr. and Porky the Pirate. The stories that were told.

14. Isnt history awsome!

15. It's a pity Porky wasn't in the movie.

16. Paninski

Paninski
    from Sylmar, CA

Porky was just there, he had nothing to do with the movie. Everyone loved his company so he just hung around for a couple weeks.

17. Every Porky story I hear is a good one.

18. 65PANELRAT

65PANELRAT

Damn! That is one cool truck!

19. o2beme

o2beme

fyi this truck was not a movie truck,i built this truck for the stray kat 500 a few years ago,was painted by dan keys.drove the wheels off it and sold it on ebay.

20. onelowponcho

onelowponcho