Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage An update on the long hyped new version of THE JALOPY JOURNAL...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

So, the new version of The Jalopy Journal/H.A.M.B. was planned to launch on the Monday after the Lonestar Round Up. But that weekend, we had a really big development from a technology partnership standpoint (more on that later) that was essentially a really cool opportunity I couldn't pass up. It also meant, however, that we were going to have to do a lot of new code on the new version of the site that we had just completed.

So, we spent a lot of sleepless nights writing all of this new code for this new mysterious feature. Yesterday, we started testing on the development server and when all of the sudden, the production graphic server crashed. Excuse the french, but it was fucking horrifying. We back up everything on the hour, but because of the new development taking a lot of server resources we hadn't backed up in three days. I thought we had lost A LOT of content.

Long story short, we lost nothing... And we figured out the issue. Unfortunately, it had everything to do with the code we had been writing the past week on the dev server. It's a complicated deal that I don't truly understand - thank god for Germans.

Anyway, we are now getting the development server back up and running and will soon start testing again. However, we are going to be a little bit more deliberate this time so as not to effect production again.

If I had to guess, we are now two weeks out from the new launch. I want to test this thing thoroughly even though I know that no matter what we will launch with all kinds of bugs... cuz well, I'm an amateur and I do stupid things. It's gonna be cool though.

So there ya have it. Hold on to your hat cowboy... This is by far the biggest and most ambitious version update of TJJ/HAMB that we have ever done in our 20 YEARS of doing this. You guys are probably going to want to kill me until you get used to it and figure it out... but once you do, it's gonna be something else.

Attached Files:

• 01.jpg
      01.jpg
      File size:
      103 KB
      Views:
    • 02.jpg
      02.jpg
      File size:
      173.5 KB
      Views:
    • 03.jpg
      03.jpg
      File size:
      290.9 KB
      Views:
  2. pila38

pila38

Now I'm all excited.

3. monkeywrenching

monkeywrenching
    from maryland

Looks cool to me. My son writes code for NASA and they go through the same stuff, testing on a seperate server. Good luck with the launch.
    Dan

4. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

I'm excited to see it!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. squirrel

squirrel

Interesting. I thought I saw a little bit of the new layout, right before it went black

6. Been there, had that happen. Glad you got everything back, I do that sort of thing for a living so always interesting to hear the "nuts and bolts" of what's going on behind the scenes. Whatever it is, can't wait to see it. I really like the look and feel of the screenshots you posted too.

7. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

well shit...just got a new computer and upgraded to Windows 7 from XP, and am now re-learning how to get around... and now this. Don't know what I'll do when I have to upgrade again to Windows 8....always 2 steps behind. :D

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  8. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

The headers are cool.

9. bill s preston esq

bill s preston esq

it fully filled my widescreen monitor from side to side. i liked what i saw before it went down.

10. I've got ants in my pants.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

11. We have managed to get the hang of the new format every time there has been a update,,thinking back to the format that was current when I joined I don't think we could post photos. HRP

12. So fresh, so clean, I dig.

13. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ha! I remember the days of HAMB 1.0 and the wailing and gnashing of teeth when that changed. Embrace the suck; you know it will be good and you will get used to it.

14. You will be re-educated and you will accept new system. Mau! Mauuuuuuuu!!

15. Looks clean. I like clean.

16. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

I'm praying and crossing my fingers. When they did this at Motorcycle USA, they lost most of their members like overnight. Guys who were 60, 70 years old just said screw it. Too hard to learn all this over. Some with older hardware were just unable to recover from that fact.

(I do IT for an engineering company, and for 20 years I've backed our stuff up daily off-site and on, but still I suffer this frequent phobia of data loss, whenever there's a frikkin patch or upgrade. There's 100 patches a week now, so the horrors of what you're undergoing are all too familiar.)

17. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Looks like the new layout will be cool and very functional/user friendly! I like the @user and alerts features... similar to some social media sites?

Malcolm

18. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I WILL embrace the new technology, I WILL embrace the new technology, I WILL embrace the new technology, I WILL embrace the new technology, I WILL embrace the new technology, I WILL embrace the new technology, I WILL embrace the new technology,.............................:D

19. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I was able to figure out the other changes. I'll try again.

20. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Some of you guys are going to be so pissed at me. :)

But you can take comfort in the fact that we have actually simplified A LOT of things. Just creating a thread or making a post is very simple. Uploading photos is crazy easy and much less of a hassle.

Where the pissed people are gonna get pissed is when it comes to the new features. In reality, they are actually very easy to use and understand... BUT, they are new... and new shit often causes issues with people.

The private message system, for example, has been completely revamped. Sending and receiving is just a simple as before. However, you will be able to hold "conversations" with multiple people now... and those conversations will be threaded with image uploading, etc...

Like I said, it's easy... but before people get what's going on, I can see that as a place where people will be pissed initially.

21. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

I hate it already, I don't like change. But I am a technophobe? ;)
    I am looking forward to this since I haven't got around to posting pics.
    "Uploading photos is crazy easy and much less of a hassle."
    Thanks much for all your hard work.

22. Cool, it's always good to keep things fresh & up to date. The old layout was beginning to look like everything else out there. This will further set the HAMB apart from the rest of the pack. 'Looking forward to it.

23. Cool....a stalker bar down the side!

24. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Change is good. Period. All the haters will be the same ones...who 20 years ago.. swore they would never use a computer. Yet, here they are. Now.. if they would just get over that black primer/red wheels thing............ :)

25. They shoulda had you do the health care roll out. It would have saved the USA tons of money.

26. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

I am usually pissed anyway, so some new challenges really won't make a difference.

hope it goes smooth and that we are all capable of adapting.

27. I don't want to talk with multiple people! :eek: No country for old men.:confused: I'm sure I can learn something new.:rolleyes:

28. I like the term "Launch". I hope it comes out the hole like a cat with a sandpapered ass, covered in turpentine! Can't wait.

29. metal man

metal man

I don't know if it's going to piss me off or not, but there will likely be things my dumb ass doesn't understand. For instance, the @Ryan or whatever. I don't know what that is.

One thing I find interesting is that we will be able to see who rated a thread and what their rating was. I predict there will be fewer one star bandits since they won't be anonymous.