Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical seat belts for a '39

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 39topless, Apr 15, 2014.

1. 39topless

39topless
    from colorado

I need some suggestions/comments regarding seat belts. I have a '39 Ford convertible coupe that was built as a hotrod sometime in the 50's. The car is still basically stock except for some speed parts on the V8 engine and a dropped front axel. This car did not come with any seat belts from the factory. My question is: With seat belt laws being in force, are there good options for installing seat belts (just have the one front seat and the rumble seat) on this car?
    Thank you so much. Phil

2. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

I acquired a nice set of original Rotunda belts with the heavy polished alloy buckles I plan to fit in my 51 Lincoln. I don't care what anyone else thinks of them I want them for safety reasons.

3. Jamesob

Jamesob
    from Exeter ca

you dont need them, but if you want them try these guys. www.julianos.com
    purchased alot from them

4. 39topless

39topless
    from colorado

So are you saying that if I get pulled over for speeding (Actually that would be pretty cool) I won't get busted for not wearing a seat belt?
    Thanks so much,
    Phil

5. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

I don't know about your state but in PA if it didn't originally have them you don't need them but I for one think they are a real good item to have.
    I was in a head-on accident, in my youth in a 49 Ford and going thru a windshield and back in isn't fun. I'm reminded of it every time I look in a mirror.

6. Aquaroscoe

Aquaroscoe

I have the same year/car. I put the juliano's kit in mine. I would really have liked a shoulder strap, but that would look awkward. The seats with the integrated shoulder belts are too wide for your application

7. 39topless

39topless
    from colorado

Great, I will look into Juliano's.
    Thanks so much, Phil

8. Most states don't enforce seat belt laws if the car was manufactured before the government established the law to make them mandatory equipment,,that's not to say it's not a good idea to have them in early cars.

I was stopped several years ago at a license check in a 66 VW and the car did not have seat belts,,the rookie cop told me to pull to the side and the other officer would write me a ticket.

Knowing that I wasn't breaking the law I pulled over and the senior officer ask me why I pulled over,my registration and license were in order and I told him a seat belt violation,,his reply was "isn't this a 66 bug",,I said "Yes"

He called the rookie over and explained the law...the rookie replied "I thought all car's came with seat belts"...seem's he wasn't around when cars didn't have seat belts.. HRP

9. In Colorado you don't need seatbelts per the law if your car didn't originally come with them. With that being said, I am putting belts in my '50 Desoto as the new interior is being installed. With the inattentive 'holes on the road you have to be prepared for anything. Plus, I have been using belts my entire driving life. I feel naked if I don't have them on in a car.

Also, post pics!!!

10. Twobit

Twobit

Some states that do not require seat belts require you to use them if you have them!

Regards, Twobit
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

11. olds vroom

olds vroom

I don't know what state you are in but in NY you don't have to put them in if it didn't come from the factory with them. I don't have them in mine and I can't wait to get pulled over for no seatbelt in that car! The cops are seatbelt nazis here.

12. 39topless

39topless
    from colorado

Forgive me, for you must have been really messed up in that accident but, the first thought that came to mind when reading your reply was, ..."ahhhh a '49 Ford got smashed? Damn!!!". Where are my priorities?

13. 39topless

39topless
    from colorado

Thanks for the Colorado advice. Now I know I'm legal but, like you, I feel really insecure when driving without belts. I'm installing some that will hopefully look somewhat "period correct".
    And regarding posting pics. Tried but gave up.