Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects DIY Floor carpet

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CruisinJRod, Apr 15, 2014.

1. CruisinJRod

CruisinJRod
    from Arizona

Hi everyone,

I am planning on laying carpet in my 1952 Buick and had a few questions before I start. I have been to home depot and found some good options but there are a few different types of carpets.

What type of carpet backing is recommended? Ive seen the rubber back and also the typical backing found in home carpets.

Any tips on forming the carpet?

2. 5window

5window

Wool is the best quality carpet-longest wearing and best color retention. There are some good synthetics, but remember your car will be subjected to temperature extremes, water,dirt and sunlight (UV) that no home carpet ever will. Skip THE Home Depot and buy quality automotive carpet from a reputable carpet source.

Try yourautotrim.com or Gary's at http://www.garysupholstery.com/products.html

Both quality places-and get a good upholstery book. And, don't forget a good underlayment,too.

3. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

4. CruisinJRod

CruisinJRod
    from Arizona

Thank you both for all the great info!

5. sadsack

sadsack

stay away from rubber back
    sadsack

6. Special Ed

Special Ed

Avoid any "residential" or "commercial" type carpets (like you find at Home Depot) as it is manufactured to be installed on FLAT surfaces. It has a "secondary" backing attached to it for dimensional stability, and is simply not suitable to be used for vehicle trim. Automotive carpet does not have that "secondary" backing and is much more pliable, and will make your life much easier. Trust me ... 40 plus years in the trade.

7. CruisinJRod

CruisinJRod
    from Arizona

I found a local auto upholstery material shop. I'm going to make a trip out there to get the correct material. Thanks!

8. CruisinJRod

CruisinJRod
    from Arizona

Out of curiosity, What would be the reason to stay away from rubber back?

Thanks

Im a designer in multiple fields, and the newest one is my classic car. 1952 Buick
    creativepile.com

9. Gman0046

Gman0046

ACC Mats a great place for automotive carpet where you can buy it by the yard.

10. It doesn't follow contours as well as a non rubber backed so unless your floor is perfectly flat it will be a pain to get it to follow the ups and downs of your floor.

11. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

12. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Ever leave a rubber mat in the trunk of your can for a long period of time?, only to be surprized to see rust forming and leaving behind it's mark.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
  13. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

14. CruisinJRod

CruisinJRod
    from Arizona

Thanks Gman0046 & 40StudeDude, I just checked ACC Mats and SockInteriors.com and non of them had 1952 buick flooring. I know of another place that sells them around $160 not including shipping. I just wanted to save some money because eventually I will be restoring the car the right way. Right now I'm trying to get it looking decent with a little amount of money.

15. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Hmmmmm, that's strange...I just entered the (fictional) info below and came up with this...looks to me like they have carpet for your car. Only difference in what I posted is it's not $159.95...it's $175.00...

Buick All Models (41-64) '41-'64 Cut and Sewn Carpet
    Color: 501-Black 80/20 Loop ($16.00)
    Doors: 2 Door
    Body: Hardtop
    Year: 1952
    Trans: Auto Column
    Model: x
    Seats: Bench Seats

R-

16. CruisinJRod

CruisinJRod
    from Arizona

Hmm I have never had that happen to me before... I live in Arizona so its not as humid as most places. But I can see what you are talking about. If there is no ventilation between the metal and rubber, there can me condensation or water build-up. I will be making a trip to the auto upholstery shop sometime to see what they have to offer.

Thanks!

17. CruisinJRod

CruisinJRod
    from Arizona

Your Right!! how did I miss that!? I was looking through their menu system and it wasn't giving me anything before 1952. Im going to call to make sure it will fit in my car.

Thanks

18. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I don't know if this is the same as ACC mentioned above but, I just ordered carpet directly from the factory in Alabama(Auto Custom Carpets), that supplies many of the auto interior places they have most anything you want I got the 80/20 loop with the backing that can be heated and formed the phone number is 800-633-2358. Ordered on Wednesday arrived on Saturday.