Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 327 chevy timing

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 63bluenova, Apr 4, 2014.

1. 63bluenova

63bluenova

Running eddlebrock 1406 it's on the port on passenger side

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. carb vac should be on the drivers side. see pic, unless you have a emission controlled engine. [​IMG]

3. 327Eric

327Eric

An old timer taught me this 20 years ago.
    With engine fully warmed up, remove vacuuum advance line from distributor, and plug. Turn distributor in a counter clockwise direction(advance) untill the engine just starts to slow down, stumble , mark this point for referance. Turn the distributor clockwise(retard) until thengine starts to slow/stumble, mark this point, and set the distributor in the center of the 2 points. Works well with stock, and mild engines. I only use a light for dead stock,Smog, or more radical settings.

4. 63bluenova

63bluenova

Alright now have it set at 4 btc and seems to run better but with vac pluged in getting about 25 Advance at 3000

5. von Dyck

von Dyck

There were at least 20 different 327s, carbs, compression, cams, vehicle weights and purposes, transmission types, right from GM. Each one had a specific centrifugal advance curve and vacuum advance curve along with initial timing setting. Just because your HEI fits your engine, does not mean it is curved to what your engine needs.
    Best advice here: find a competent chassis dyno technician and have him calibrate your distributor, set your initial timing and dial in your carburetor. Your best bet would be someone at least in his fifties, 30 to 40 years experience in tweaking these older engines and one who understands the necessary changes when burning methanol laced gasoline.
    It is money well spent.

6. MAD 034

MAD 034
    from Washington

I put a new aftermarket balancer on my 283 and discovered it was 10 degrees off! A piston stop will tell you if your marks are correct or a dial indicater if your heads are off.

7. M224SPEED

M224SPEED
    from Missouri

I have had issues like this & have been turning wrenches for a loooong time,if you can afford about $35.00 invest in a good vacumn gauge,setting the timing with one is normally dead on,and a very good tool to have around.

Just an opinion from an old fart!!

8. brian55lvr

brian55lvr
    from ma

will this work with a big cam?''bad idle vacuum''

9. 63bluenova

63bluenova

Removed HEI distributor and went with msd 85551 seems to run better but still not tuned just right think it might be my mixture settings. I tried messing with the settings still not right. Timing set at 8 btd tried 4 but the engine doesnot like it .

10. aerorocket

aerorocket
    from N.E. P.A.

If you have an old 327 with stock heads it is going to like at least 34 total and probably more like 38 with the vacuum advanced plugged when checking this. If it is a 210 hp to a 375 fuelie it is not going to perform up to par set at only 30 total as some have said.

11. HUSSEY

HUSSEY