Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Living in a dream world ('59 Caddy)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tattooed_Pariah, Sep 14, 2013.

1. So the TL: DR version of this is basically: sell the project? or store it until it can be worked on properly?

Here's the long version (sorry, I'm long winded.. wife says I over explain everything, I argue that I'm just trying to not leave room for misunderstanding..):

More than a decade ago, the wife came to possess a 1959 Cadillac DeVille. She is the third owner, the first two owners were family members. I don't know much of the history, aside from at some point it wound up sitting on an Uncle's property in the desert and it sat there for a LOOONG time.

It was given to her to fix up, and more than ten years ago a boyfriend at the time took out the engine and tranny and tore the engine down to rebuild it, but never finished.

Presently, the engine is in pieces next to the complete tranny on the floor of her garage, car hasn't moved in a long time.

Next year, we will be moving across the country. the Navy will only move running cars, and between the two of us we have 6 vehicles. At this point, I think I will be draining the fluids and packing my POS motorcycle as cargo, having them move my Volksrod, driving my Challenger, and I think she is selling her weekend car, loaning her daily driver to family friends (they'll be insuring it and whatnot), and we're trying to make a decision on this Caddy.

She is being a little more realistic, and edging towards selling it. I'm being sentimental and a packrat and want to keep it. here's why:

* three owners
    * matching numbers (engine, body, frame)
    * original windshield and rear window
    * never been in a wreck, straight frame, no body damage
    * all chrome present (removed and stored, car was primered at some point)

I don't know much about these land yachts, so what I'm GUESSING, is that in current condition, we'd be lucky to get $6,000, tops.. BUT if we throw it in a storage container place, eventually we'll have the time/money to do some work and get it running again and if we decide to sell then, I'm thinking we could probably get at least $10,000... am I off the mark on this?

2. Those cars have a following, and a friend of mine has a convertible he's making roadworthy. If it's complete and the chrome is salvageable the price would be stronger.

3. Sell it . You both don't need the aggrivation now. There will be plenty of projects for to do with what you have left.

4. that's kinda my opinion, because she has so much of it in decent shape, and it's all original parts, it should have some value.. If I've learned nothing else about old cars, it's that an original seat with original upholstery is worth more than a perfect aftermarket seat with aftermarket fabric..

I kind of agree, I'm not much of a Caddy man myself, this is her car, but I get caught up on the fact that she is the 3rd owner, and while it needs a LOT of work, it is pretty much a complete car with little to no damage. It's already in the perfect spot to restore, just need the time/money, and realistically, if we keep it, I'd plan on storing it somewhere safe for probably at least another 5-10 years..

5. 2 door or 4 door? HRP

6. 53 COE

53 COE
    from PNW

Exactly my thought.......

Being a family car though - almost has to be a keeper......

;)

7. 48buickkid

48buickkid

If you're debating about it this bad I would keep it. 1959 Cadillacs in general are starting to command higher prices all the time. They're an iconic car with the general public and the full on Cadillac guys. If this is a two door in this shape no damage, no rust and savable chrome by the time you get around to wanting another one or your wife regretting it expect to pay alot more for less and it won't have that sentimental value. Mothball it until you can restore it needs to stay in the family. Just my 2cents

8. it's the four door IIRC.. that's my thoughts exactly, i'd rather pay a monthly storage fee for it and know we have it for that mystical "some day" than regret losing it later on down the road..

9. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

put it back in the desert, what harm can that do now ? 4 doors are parts cars and do not increase in value like 2 doors...

10. gotya.. I don't know shit about em, that's why I came here..

11. Your wife is right and you should listen to her, that's why you married her and she married you.

"ITs the 4 door IIRC" is a pretty clear indication what needs to be done.
    Not that's its a 4 door- because you can't be sure If you remember correctly

12. it's under a tarp in her garage that we never go out to.. we live 400 miles apart (military, we're not seperated..), and the last time I looked at it was probably about 8 months ago..

edit: remembered I have crappy cell phone pics from a long time ago.. it's actually a two-door. I know it looks extremely rough and shitty in this pic, but from a restoration perspective, there is no major frame/body damage, upholstery and the rest can all be done, it's harder to fix frame/body crap..

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
  13. ok, so the plan became: She has a friend who works at a shop who was willing to work on it in his spare time, we would pay for parts and whatnot.. He just found out his shop is being sold and that is no longer an option.. He offered to buy it for $5k... I told her I thought it was worth more like $8k, and he responded with "are you high?"

so HAMB.. Am I high? here are all the shitty cellphone pics that I have of it..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now I know it isn't pretty, but I also know that the front and rear glass is original and unbroken, that it's never been in a wreck and the frame is straight, the body has basic dents and dings but nothing major, there is California surface rust but no cancer, and that, well, everything on the car is original, interior, body, engine (I know the engine looks like shit, but the numbers match the body..), etc..

Am I really high in thinking that $5k is WAAAY to low for this car? or is that an accurate price?

In my mind, this car is in the PRIME position for restoration, and from what little I DO know, two-door '59s are very hard to come by.. if this was hobbled together from multiple donors, yeah, 5k, but since it is all original, I think it should be more.. Someone please educate me..

14. Here's how I look at this stuff-
    This is my opinion and you asked.

If a car needs a total restoration, and you could get it for FREE, you'll still have more into it than its ever worth (barring the exceptional vehicles.) That has a caveat that you place some value on your own time spent doing the work yourself.

Most (not all) cars are worth more apart than they are together. Any auto dismantler will tell you this is the core principal of their business plan and that its a profitable one. This is especially true if the subject car needs extencive work.

So I don't think you are out of line seeking 8 nor do I think he is out of line offering 5. You guys probably could meet in the middle where both of you can live with getting fucked a little. That's the sign of a good negotiation, when both parties can live with the outcome but neither walk away ecstatic.

6 months ago you thought you'd be lucky to get 6
    I don't know much about these land yachts, so what I'm GUESSING, is that in current condition, we'd be lucky to get $6,000, tops.

You could always throw it up on epay and auction it off. Right time of year.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
  15. badshifter

badshifter

I'd take that 5 k and run. You'll spend more in storage over the years you may or may not get to it than the value will increase over that time. It needs EVERYTHING! Look at how rusty the engine parts are, it's only going to get worse as it sits. Cash now beats long term headaches.

16. My $.02. I am starting to see the 50/60's "boats" coming up in value. If you can afford to store it and don't mind it sitting there I would keep it. After all, it is a 2 door 59. That is pretty cool!

17. One in that condition (although it had all the windows) here in Oklahoma that was a 4 door flat top, sold for 15k here.

18. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

that is a tough call. you have to ask youself, how long do you plan to be in the Military. How much of a car guy are you? and how much free money do you have to eventually put into it

if you are making a career of the military (not a bad thing) then I would sell.
    If you are not a hard core car guy (and it does not seem like the car means much to you) then sell it (you will be moving all over the world)
    if you do not think you will have 10k worth of spare money to get it running again, then sell it.
    Do you really want to keep paying for storage for a few yrs (the longer you have it, the less likely you will build it) as it is not in your garage, it is out of site and not on your mind to work it.

Sell it now, take the money and buy the wife a nicer daily driver.

19. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Selling the Caddy makes the most sense, if you really sit down and factor in all the pros and cons. Plus, the cost of restoring it will only continue to increase over the years.
    As a side note, if your wife loans her car to family or friends and her name remains on the title I wonder if she still could be sued in the event of an accident even though she's no longer driving the car or paying for the insurance. Check with your insurance agent to make sure.

20. Appreciate all the responses :)

She's no longer going to be loaning her car to friends, we're taking both out Dodges and my VolksRod to VA..

I knew less in the beginning than I know now, so I threw out $6k to see what you guys would say, if I was too low or too high.. Knowing the tiny bit more that I know now, that's why I'm saying $8k now.. I really don't know value, all I've found so far have been finished cars that go for $39k+

Talking to the few guys I know that ARE Cadillac guys, they all agree that a two-door 59 is a sought after car and that it should be more than $5k..

Think I might try to convince her to ebay it..

Thanks!

21. kzeliminator

kzeliminator
    from chicago

Being a cadillac guy. 5k is low depending on rust issues for a coupe. I'll buy it for 5k.

Trust me when I say the parts for these are gold. People pay out the nose so if you're missing stuff. Be prepared for that if you plan to restore. I'm 700 into windows on my 59 because stuff was missing. Best but as I was in military you're going to move around and dragging that around would be difficult along with losing valuable pieces in the process. Either sell for more than 5k or store til you get out and have something to do when you're a civilian.

22. yeah, i brought up storage.. Wife did the math and figured out that even if we could find a place for $100/mo, that's $1200/year times at least 10 years.. she didn't think it was worth it..

haha, do you need front or rear glass? these are intact and original :p

I have 9 years in and my current contract will bring me to 15, I don't want to drag it with us because I'm PCSing to Virginia and I would hate to see a car with an entire history of nothing but California get destroyed by ocean air..