Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. RDZSPRINT

RDZSPRINT
    from Hayden,In.

I don't know how many different numbers the car ran, some years in my records book only list the car sponsor name and owner name without mentioning the car number. But according to my USAC book the car ran #63 in 1966, #89 in 1968, and # 56 in 1969. I'm not the best on computers but I'll try to attach a photo of the car carrying #63.

Attached Files:

2. Jay Burkart

Jay Burkart

I far as I know that car ran under G&J Engineering Yellow #19 from about 1960 up to 1967 where they renumbered to #63 painted Red over White with Blue trim, shown in your picture and then in 69 renumbered again to #89 painted Blue over White. The G&J stood for Gus and Jake, Gus Gutzweiler and Jake Burkart
    they were partners in this car for and before that a modified Big #60 they ran around the Cinti area.
    My Dad Jake Burkart had been running Sprint cars since the '30's for Doc Bowles, Gus and he got together after Doc passed away in the late 50's.
    They quit running the car around 1970 when Gus got transferred up to Columbus Ohio, he was full time with the National Guard and about that time my Dad moved down to Florida after retiring from his job.
    Jay Burkart
    I've just got to get some of the pictures I've got scanned to share.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  3. memaerobilia

memaerobilia

Really appreciate the info, Carl. I donated tons of stuff in past years. But now, with loads of Grandkids, and four grown kids and wife, proceeds need to go to them. Market is down for just about all collectibles. Had a long-time customer, friend, who must be very close to a billionaire, telling me "we all need to cut back now." :eek: Dont know whether to laugh or cry in response to THAT! Pretty sure my cars will double or triple, when recession fades, as did most of the aircraft & engines we sold, in earlier years. I don't know if new Miller body, frame, shell, & other parts Dad & I made, wound up as the 15 or not. Our cars were all bringing top dollar back then. Surprising how many are in museums and even scattered around the World, now. I posted a REALLY neat photo of at least 5 new 1950's midget bodies and frames, hanging from the rafters, around the famous BLUEBIRD, that Dad was working on, around 52 or 54? on the cageless midget thread. Wont see stuff like that, every day. Never get tired of coming here to learn more racing history..:)

4. unassembled

unassembled
    from San Diego

Hi everyone. This is somewhat off topic, but I thought the brain trust found in this group could help.

Attached is a picture of Vukovich in the 1952 Fuel Injection Special. There are 7 crew members standing behind the car. I have been able to identify all but one person. Can anyone identify the 5th person from the left?

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

5. LEE GREENAWALT

LEE GREENAWALT

Williams Grove Speedway 1970, enjoy!

[​IMG]

6. LEE GREENAWALT

LEE GREENAWALT

more from the Grove 1970, enjoy!

[​IMG]

7. LEE GREENAWALT

LEE GREENAWALT

and one from 1969 Williams Grove, enjoy!

[​IMG]

8. flatheadtommy

flatheadtommy

Joe Sostilio at Wiiliams Grove in the Dutch Culp offy 1953.

Attached Files:

9. flatheadtommy

flatheadtommy

Joe Sostilio in the Frank Curtis from long island, Offy . Joe was the eastern AAA sprint car champion in 1953.

Attached Files:

10. flatheadtommy

flatheadtommy

i know this is a dirt champ car, but what a shot of Sostilio in the Barhdol Offy at Langhorne !

Attached Files:

11. hopkins1

hopkins1
    from bedford pa

Great photo but its 1952,car was #4 in 53.

12. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

Ha, someone was quicker than me.

Actually, the car was #7 every year from 1950 to '54 except in '53! :D

13. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Joe Sostilio in the Belanger spl. hemi 1953.

Attached Files:

14. memaerobilia

memaerobilia

Hi Carl
    "unpredicatable" is an understatement. Even after lowering the prices by thousands MORE additional dollars (having previously lowered them twice), they are both still here. Never thought that a "real" pre-war car like the G.S with all its records and history, would not be snapped right up, the way we used to sell them in the 70's and 80's :( These are the last of 38 cars we did..
    I realize tht selling them at an auction, where there is much less exchange of questions and info, & dickering, is not nearly as good, as the "old days" when guys would come by the shop and be awed by them. Had a couple of "interested?" parties, but it seems that auction site is pretty good at preventing direct contact between parties, so never reached past their blocked request for contact info..
    SomebodyAnybody make ANY kind of offer, and it/they could be yours for huge bargain. Was selling them because of poor health. This is, literally, making me more ill..

15. flatheadtommy

flatheadtommy

thanks for the info, i didn't know the number changed in 1953. I guess dutch Culp was quite a character. those were sure the days of real heroes.

16. Blacki-Suede

Blacki-Suede

Anyone have an C-625-A EDCO Midget Caliper they want to sell? Have three, need one more for my Edmunds midget restoration. May just leave the left front blank if I don't locate one. PM me

Blacki-Suede

17. memaerobilia

memaerobilia

Sometimes, the improvisation and ingenuity used in building old race cars just makes you smile.. I tried to show this a while ago, but this photo, now with the flash, lets you see the original steel milk can they used for the fuel tnk on the pre-war Granite State. It sits behind the upholstered seat back-which, itself, is mounted with two long metal pins into the top tail frame brace. then they drilled a hole in the milk can and put a brass filler cap on it. The can IS round, but looks oval, here, from the angle of the photo.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

19. gninc

gninc

Hello Blacki-Suede I have two, and actually they are # C-1625-1 I believe. Let me know if you still need them.

Glenn

20. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

21. Blacki-Suede

Blacki-Suede

Yes I am interested, and, see below, mine are C-1625 -A. PM me with condition and price.

Thanks
    Blacki-Suede

Attached Files:

22. Bob Cicconi

Bob Cicconi

I didn't know they still raced during WW2. What about gas rationing, tire shortages and things like that?

23. flatheadtommy

flatheadtommy

auto racing was banned during the war years, i believe from 1942 to 1945.

24. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
  25. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Like most everything nowdays I can only vaguely remember reading once that the last organized/sanctioned auto race (pre war ban) was a midget event in Cal. Bakersfield sticks in my mind for some reason. (?)

26. With a heavy emphasis on the 'vague' I think I remember reading that the Indianapolis Speedrome ran a midget race sometime in 1943 or 1944 for a boost in 'national morale'. The track was still dirt and the winner was Duke Nalon in one of Pop Dreyers midgets. I am sure somebody on here will have the exact details as I have a difficult time remembering what happened early this morning.

27. racer chaser

racer chaser
    from indiana

Duke Nalon won at the Indianapolis Speedrome on November 18, 1944 under strict restrictions set by the Office of Defense Transportation. Racing was then halted and did not resume until October 1945

28. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Searching around the interweb I come up with conflicting dates of the official government ban but Jul 29/42 is the most often cited. If that is accurate the Chicago area Riverview speedway may have held the last auto race before the official ban. Being a Wed. night race would kinda support that also.

Attached Files:

29. jsproctor

jsproctor

I visited the Arizona Open Wheel Racing Museum in Phoenix yesterday. Absolutely a first class display and operation....I highly recommend it!!!! WWW.AZRacingMuseum.org

30. Circletrack 40

Circletrack 40

I remember going to the Speedrome when it was closed during the war.
    My Dad had a midget and we used to go there to run the car before the track reopened, there were other cars there also, but I don't remember it being dirt. I think the track was owned at that time by the Saxon brothers.