Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 1953 olds project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by msinclair32, Apr 10, 2014.

1. msinclair32

msinclair32

Anybody on here ever built a 53' olds and do custom work or switch the motors? Looking for ideas to build mine. Thanks

2. msinclair32

msinclair32

3. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I built a 53 2 door sedan back in 84,I had a good running 303 from another that was wrecked but wanted a bigger motor so I bought a 50 dollar 59 that I thought had a 394 to put in it,turned out it was a 371 but would smoke new corvettes at the time and after a 4 bbl carb was added it was quicker. I wish I could do it again but with a 2 door hard top this time and for the same amount of money I spent back then,150 dollar car with blown motor,50 dollar parts car for the motor. Initially I had less then 500 dollars in it and basicly was built with junkyard parts and was the quickest car I ever owned and want another some day.

4. msinclair32

msinclair32

Did that motor just drop in or did u have to change motor mounts? I don't no my olds motors so I don't know what motors will drop right in

5. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

The front mount bolted in but on the rear mounts I had to use 59s and shorten the 59 crossmember and the only problem with that swap was the exhaust manifolds,the 59/60 drivers side manifold dumps at the steering box. As much as I would like to duplicate what I done nearly 30 years ago finding running motors is going to be alot tougher and expensive now so if I were to get another 53 I would most likely use a nova/camaro front clip and a 350 or 455 Olds,I normally do not like suspension swaps but was never a big fan of that IFS front suspension the 54 on back Olds had with the shock absorbers made into the upper control arms. I got lucky and traded some work for a NOS pair for my 53 and getting them rebuilt is expensive,when I was building my 53 parts were much easier to find and cheaper without having to buy them from those specialty places and much cheaper and there were plenty of junkyards around with old stuff unlike today. If you are not too far from the Dayton area if you need help I could give you a hand.

6. msinclair32

msinclair32

Can anybody tell me if 53' olds frame is the same as a buick frame?

7. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Its similar but the Buick will have coil rear springs and a enclosed drive shaft