Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Giant speedster project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by yonahrr, Apr 25, 2010.

1. yonahrr

yonahrr

Something about April.

that must cause appliances to break. My microwave went out, then a tenant's dryer went out, then another tenant's stove died, then my son's dryer quit working, then another tenant's faucet started leaking everywhere, then her stove blew a burner. Of course I get called to fix all this stuff, even when they're not my tenants. All that and going to a Big Fat Jewish Wedding ( a lot of fun though) blew several days of speedster time. Oh year--it's spring break and the kids are out of school

No word from Ken. The fenders are pretty much done but the weather has not co-operated so no primer. (I spray outside) I forgot about the rear inner fenders so I dragged them out today. After a day of work the bondo is about done but I didn't like the raw edge that goes under the rear fenders proper so I experimented and made up a trim piece. It came out kind of nice so I think I'll add it to the other inner fender as well.

Jerry

Attached Files:

2. yonahrr

yonahrr

Rear Fenders

So 95% of the body work on the rear fenders is done and I took them down to where the car is stashed to make a final fit. The right side went on real easy and looked pretty good but the left was a little screwy. Why this happens I'm not sure. I had everything fitted and aligned, then I took it off and set it aside for the winter. Suddenly the metal warped ever so slightly and the bolt holes lost their alignment. You can see the problem in the last picture. So do I elongate some holes? Or cut off the plate that supports the fender and reweld it in a different place? Well, tomorrow I'll get to the bottom if it. Unless the wife has a big day planned!

Jerry

Attached Files:

3. Finish the damn thing will you???!!
    Seriously, this is my second favorite HAMB thread. I love your car, respect your skills and can't wait to see the finished thing.
    COOLEST CAR ON THE HAMB! :)

4. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

Can you loosen (a lot) all the fender bolts and get them all started? If it fit last year it should fit this year, right?

5. carriage bolts must have been tapered off center when fit and now are not in the same index

6. The37Kid

The37Kid

[​IMG] Back to the plad paint, Huppmobile did offer a Plad Roadster back in the day. This one was at the Hershey meet a few years ago. Speedster is looking real nice. Bob

7. Hah, I remember seeing that Hupp some years ago at Hershey, Macungie, or the old Franklin Mint shows- TOTALLY forgot about that paint job!

Thanks for bringing back some great memories, Bob : )

8. carbuilder

carbuilder

This project is just comming along real kool much out of the box thinking I have realy enjoyed the whole thread since the beginning. Now back to my hole in the wall.

9. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

I love my wife to bits but she does have a way of planning big days. That's one reason why my projects have a lot of theory but very little progress. You have my sympathy!

10. yonahrr

yonahrr

Front fenders

I fit checked the front fenders and found out the there was an interference with the exhaust pipes. i think when I welded the aprons on I got them about an inch too far back. Anyway, I had to rework the apron and make a little notch. I also had to redo one of the supports. It's the story of my life do and redo. Persistence is the only reason for any success I have. I'm slogging on down here. Found out bugs have eaten the cedar trim on my house. Cedar! I thought that was supposed to be impervious to bugs. More time taken away from what I want to do. Ah but soon my fenders will go to the paint shop! Ah, red and more red. Something makes me want to paint the underside of the fenders black. Any suggestions?

Jerry

Attached Files:

Crazybillybob likes this.
  11. rprice76

rprice76
    from Palominas

I've been a silent lurker (except one other post on a OT subject on this thread) and I have to say NOW I see it. Those fenders really bring it all together. I can NOT wait to see it all done! Bravo sir!

12. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

Red with black trim/edge. :cool:

And sell tickets! I'd pay money to ride in that beast. LOL

Only other suggestion: make sure it's street legal, because it'd be a shame to only drive it on the salt/beach/track.

I'm so digging this whole idea, I want to build one. I'm now dreaming of this old Diamond-T I've seen that would make a mondo donor vehicle...

I just mentioned this all to my Mrs, and she's giving me that look like I've forgotten to take my meds again. :eek:

Maybe I can pull it off if I remodel her kitchen first.

13. rprice76

rprice76
    from Palominas

Try it! It used to work for my dad every time. We STARTED with 3 cars. The big garage was for the cars and storage of Chrismas stuff. The collection grew to 9 cars, with the Christmas stuff crammed into the front storage room. Every time my dad would buy a car....BAM -- new kitchen - BAM -- new paved driveway - BAM - new (fill in the blank) :D

14. Jack Innes

Jack Innes

Great idea! This Seagrave is still available;

Attached Files:

15. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

:eek: Holy Frijoles! :eek:

Yeah, that would be a bit too much I'm afraid.

16. yonahrr

yonahrr

A famous man once said (I forgot his name) "Nothing is ever too much."

I like the ambiguity in that statement. I mean what the hell is the guy trying to say anyway?

Jon the machinist borrowed my Trooper to drive while his truck was in the paint shop so I coerced him into welding up the top to the ice box. I was sanding down the weld when the belt on my belt sander exploded. It was only about 20 years old. So I moved on to the fenders which was more important anyway. I finished putting the binding on the raw edge of the rear inner fenders. Making the binding was a challenge. First I cut a strip then folded it in half. Then I put a broken band saw blade inside of it and ran it through the English Wheel. The band saw blade came right out and I had a neat u shaped piece. To bend it I put the blade back inside. The first one I drilled holes to spot weld in but that didn't work so good so I just tacked the edge. If the weather warms and the wind dies, I'll prime everything and do the final spotting.

Jerry

Attached Files:

17. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

I wonder if that was the same guy who said: "Nothing is what I want." ???

Anyhow, that Seagrave would need a second driver to get the rear wheels around a corner. LOL

18. barnbikes

barnbikes
    from MN

I don't know I am seeing a giant Seagrave flat bed to haul the Giant Seagrave speedster around with.

19. Jack Innes

Jack Innes

I am afraid the point is being missed; you see you take the giant Seagrave hook & ladder truck, shorten it, lower the cowl & hood, overhaul the 1013 cid engine, whip up a boat tail body & fenders & a few other things -------------- well, just go back to post no. 1 on Jerry's build & you will see how to do it.

No giant flatbed - drive it!

20. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

You have that right Jack. A lot has happened in the past nearly 4 years and 3500 plus postings. If it was easy, everyone would be building these things. :D

21. yonahrr

yonahrr

If out leave out all my mistakes you could probably build a speedster in 6 months!

Jerry

paperdog likes this.
  22. to make a speedster out of that, You could sit 6-8 people (you and your team) in-line on that thing...that would be nuts!

23. yonahrr

yonahrr

I actually have to fight the urge to drive up there and buy that thing!

Jerry

paperdog likes this.
  24. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

Legally, this is known as "an attractive nuisance" LOL.

25. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

G.K. Chesterton had a character in one of the Father Brown stories answer a brusque "What do you want?!" with, "I want nothing. I want nothing. I want nothing." This was to illustrate the very fine line between spiritual asceticism and cynical nihilism.

Some articulated aerial platforms had exactly that.

26. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

Which is why I mentioned it. :D

As for the debate over spiritual asceticism and cynical nihilism, I'll leave that to the navel gazers. ;)

I was quoting an old Frank Zappa comedy skit.

27. if this helps my 2010 MERCEDES has a some type of synthetic carpet lining the underside of wheel wells so leather , canvas , persian rugs rewoven to dimension would work just fine

28. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

No faux fur though please....

29. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Only genuine Yak fur pelts will be used to preserve the proper spirit of the build. :D