Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Braided fuel hose, Clamp?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gus68, Apr 12, 2014.

1. Gus68

Gus68
    from Minnesota

Is there any "Nice" way of putting a braided fuel line on a nipple intended for a normal hose? Other than a hose clamp or one of those cheezy half hose clamp half red nut look a like thing?

2. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Cut the flared end off with a tube cutter and use a compression joint with olive, and AN fitting on the braided and that's it. Did my car 10yrs ago and no leaks

3. scott51

scott51

I know you said other than hose clamps but you might want to check out T-Bolt style hose clamps, they generally have a wide smooth band so you can line up the edge of the clamp with the cut edge of the hose to get a pretty clean look.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
  4. charlieb66

charlieb66

5. Gus68

Gus68
    from Minnesota

MGTstumpy, That's a cool idea but I don't think I have enough "nipple" (that just sounds bad) to cut off and work with. Scott51, do they make T bolt style clamps small enough for a 3/8 hose? I might have to try that one.

6. I tried this once and it seemed you could not clamp it enough to get a good seal, like the steel braid stopped the compression of the hose clamp. I just put the correct AN fitting on and moved on.

7. Hoses need clamps.
    Braiding needs containment.

There's a heat shrink type clamp that looks really slick but you need to cut them off and that can be problematic.

Why not hard lines ?

8. Gus68

Gus68
    from Minnesota

Well here's what i'm trying to do. I have steel fuel line from the tank up to the fuel pump. I was going to use the hard line adapter fitting to braided AN hose and then AN fittings on my aftermarket mechanical fuel pump. Well the motor is in now and I just found out that the pump is too big and hits the crossmember, but a stock style small block pump fits fine. Well as you all know the inlet side to a stock SBC fuel pump is just a short nipple for a hose. Soooo... That's what I am trying to put braided hose on.

9. Gus68

Gus68
    from Minnesota

10. geoford41

geoford41
    from Delaware

PMgeoford41 I work where we manufacture PTFE braided hoses I can help you identify the correct compression to FNPT fitting at the fuel line (3/8" steel perhaps?) & pump (maybe a 5/16") and then tell you what hose type to use. Been selling this hose since '72