Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical A 265 Chevy build with a cool story

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by bfalfa55, Jul 23, 2013.

1. von Dyck

von Dyck

On these early 265 and 283 blocks, I drill the main oil gallery holes out to 1/4", same as what the later SBC blocks have.

2. bfalfa55

bfalfa55

That is exactly what I was talking about 56sedandelivery. Was worried it would weaken the gasket too much at the ports if I did that. I did have a 305 head question too about the heat crossover ports. How do they effect exhaust flow since all 4 of the middle exhaust ports have them ? Should they be blocked off in the exhaust bowl area so that the exhausts have the same volume or do they not effect the exhaust flow ?
    I saw that BASS build and it's cool but I was hoping he had more of what went into the internals of the engine. I see at one point he referred to his "stroked" 265, just wonder what was built.

3. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

4. bfalfa55

bfalfa55

I'm trying to stay in the 265 + .060 or less bore but if I want to go .125, my dad has an original, balanced set of 270/283 vette pistons in his shop.

5. bfalfa55

bfalfa55

Thanks to a fellow HAMBer Rattaxi48, I have a GM factory set of .040 265 pistons ! I have to keep the factory boxes they came in because they are even in good shape.

6. bfalfa55

bfalfa55

One more step forward. Thanks to a 3800 V6 Buick Regal and a 3400 V6 Chevy Venture van, I snagged 24 roller lifters for the bank breaking sum of $14.14 ! Haven't cleaned them all up yet but I am sure to get at least 16 good ones out of them. Now I just need the spider and dog bones from a V8 roller block and I will be well no my way.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  7. bfalfa55

bfalfa55

MISTAKE ! I should have typed 3400 not 3800. 3800 roller lifters are the same as 4.3 and v8 engines.

8. bfalfa55

bfalfa55

Based on how many people respond to the thread and can offer any input, I'd have to say I won't waste posting anything until it shows HUGE progress because it seems it is just not worth much input from others. since I had a post deleted by an official HAMBer, my posts are not so worthy of input. I wish I got it, just sad that many could respond with some good input or different view.

9. loudbang

loudbang

Don't let the bastads get you down. I have been enjoying the story and history of your build. A lot of people are following the thread just look at the number of "views" it has gotten but some people don't comment on anything they just read and enjoy.

10. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

I was at the Corvette museum yesterday and the had a 265 on display. That motor is the coolest of the small blocks. It made the corvette a real running sports car. My dad had one in his 56' Corvette when he was a kid and heard all kinds of story's from catching fire to out running cops in the desert. He said he had it clocked at Riverside speedway at 127MPH. The 265 is the coolest of the small blocks.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

11. robH

robH

What's buggin me... the search feature does not work on this forum. At least that's what it says at the top. And when I try to search this thread, or any 265 thread, it brings up 'no results'. Wish there was an easy way to keep up with this. It amazes me that some forum police have time to delete one of your posts, and the rest of us can't even find it.
    I'm currently running two 265's. I still have the first one I bought in July 1956 - still a good runner, after 57 years.

12. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Go to the top of this forum and it re-directs you to how a search can be done. Butch/56sedandelivery.

13. bfalfa55

bfalfa55

Since I am doing the roller cam/lifter conversion using standard spider and dog bones with 2.2 4 cyl., 3100,3400 etc.. v6 roller lifters in my 265 build, I wondered if anyone else has done it or knows someone who did. And if you has done it, I want to hear about the success stories, the failures and any helpful hints.

14. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

There's a vendor on that auction site we all know and love, that sells the plans to do the conversion; search for "roller cam retrofit DIY information". Butch/56sedandelivery.

15. bfalfa55

bfalfa55

Thanks 56sedandelivery. I do actually have the plans, just wanted to hear from those who have done it already to give some input.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
  16. bfalfa55

bfalfa55

Thought all the 265 nuts would like this. Thanks to a member on Trifive.com, I got this old article where Comp Cams did some work to a 265. It is .040 and I will have my compression in just about the same range but with a good bit more roller cam and ported 416 305 heads. I may back off the compression to 9:1 if I decide to go with one of the mini under hood blowers, haven't decide yet. Waiting on a friend to purchase the spider and dog bones and if he doesn't come thru, then I will most likely hit our local pull a part and get them dirt cheap. Here is the link to the article. http://web.archive.org/web/20100207.../Community/Articles/Details.asp?ID=-884626457

17. bfalfa55

bfalfa55

There has to be somebody who has done this or heard of someone who has, I'd like to hear about the success and failures if there are any. I am still going to do it but I'd like to hear what anybody has to say !

18. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Hey there, In response to your latest question on the HAMB, I'm going to send you a P.M. Butch/56sedandelivery.

19. bfalfa55

bfalfa55

Took the 55 and the bike for their last ride before winter. Did a little laying out of the spider and dog bones and found out something great ! Other than making a flat surface for the dog bones to lay on, I do not have modify the block for 7 of the dog bones !The way the 265 is cast there is nothing in the way except the shape of the block in the rear passenger side. Check out the pic !

Attached Files:

20. devilleish

devilleish

I like the idea here, I was considering something similar for the 265 out of my truck. I want to see how the drilling and tapping for the three bolts that hold the spider comes out since the bosses aren't there. Staying tuned.

21. bfalfa55

bfalfa55

No real update as our wonderful winter here has made garage work almost non existent and I am trying to gather up what I need to get my 55 to the Meltdown Drags. But a idea (possibly a dumb one) popped my head for the 265 build. Has anybody thought of or know someone that has used a 3.1 stroke crank from a 262 chevy and 400 rods to make a slighlty stroked 265 or 283 ? I know a 3.25 crank has been used with a ton of machine work but I would think this would need much less since the 262 crank would be similarly balanced to the 265. If I did the math correct it should work. I know there would be some clearance needed but it was just a thought. I know it is a cast crank but not going over 6500 RPM should't be a problem as long as I build it properly. I probably won't do it but bench racing has been all I coul do this winter. I am interested in hearing your thoughts.

22. JT Apperson

JT Apperson
    from va

Love those 265's. Keep us posted on your build. Good luck...JT

23. bfalfa55

bfalfa55

Constructive or destructive criticism welcome. Someone has to ave an opinion on the 3.1 stroke crank idea !

24. bfalfa55

bfalfa55

Someone has to have something to say about this combination. I am crazy for thinking about it, tell me why. I aminterested in knowing.

25. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I think you're going to run into too many problems with the 262/V-8, 3.1" stroke crank. First of all, the main size, and how much material will need to be removed; it would require a hardening treatment to the mains after machining at the least. There's not enough room in a 265 for the balance weights to clear. You'd have to trim too much off of them, and then you'd have to re-balance, probably with mallory metal ($$$). When the 327 came out in 62, the molds for small blocks got changed to clear the 3.25 stroke, 327 cranks; it also carried over to the 283 blocks in that they also had more room (there were even some 283-327 blocks with the same casting number). There is someone here on the HAMB that built/was building a big inch "265" that had a crank modified (327 I think); if you could find that thread it would help to explain everything. The other thing about the 262 crank is it's CAST, and would that be appropriate for how you're building your 265 (RPM motor). The general thought on connecting rods is to go longer, not shorter like in the 400 rods. Shorter rods load the cylinder walls more accelerating wear, stressing piston skirts, etc. Not saying the crank swap can't be done, but at what cost? Maybe you should look into the "baby LT1", the late model "265", that comes camshaft and lifters already rollerized. I know you're tied to your 265 with it's history in your family; I still say do a mild build on it, and build another motor for all out use. Just swap engines when needed. I have a new set of .030, 265, moly rings I have no use for anymore, but it seems to me you already had .040 pistons (?). They're free to anyone who NEEDS them. Butch/56sedandelivery.

26. bfalfa55

bfalfa55

Thanks Butch ! I value your engine knowledge. It was just a passing idea to do something different but if the throws are that much different, it will be too much work for any little benefit if any. I will stay on the path I am now. I am trying to focus more on getting the car ready for the Meltdown Drags and my son is looking for a 56 or 58 Chevy for a car right now. So, we will build it slowly right now unless something changes.

27. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

In the Feb. 1968 issue of Hot Rod Magazine is an article, "Updating The Early Stovebolt", and it has the info on putting a 327 crank in an pre 64 265/283. The article also includes which rods to use for longevity and HD use, and modifications to the oiling system. They also go into stroking cranks. There's quite a bit of material that has to be removed from the 327 crank to install one in a 265/283, and it's a bunch. Butch/56sedandelivery.

28. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice Car.......I would go 283 all the way, I think you will be limited on valve size due to the small 3.75" bore. I got 4 283 blocks, and a Set of Vintage 0.030" over TRW domed pistons, set of 327 bump rods, Use your 3' cranks and you are good to go. Olmstead, you are surrounded by SBC machine shops from back in the small cube days, Paul Cole, Weber, Gellner, and many others.

29. floorjacks50

floorjacks50
    from napa

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

30. Bob W

Bob W
    from Here

I have played with 265s and 283s for years. The 283 + .030 is a 287 cu in. engine which will out power the 265. But it I was doing it again I would use an early 327 block, 283 crank and rods and 302 pistons. 285 heads have real small ports that kills the air flow so I would at least use a set of the od 300 hp 327 heads. You can put a ton of gear behind the 302 and really get the jump on guys.

[​IMG]

I ran a 283 4 barrel four speed in the wagon.

[​IMG]

A 265 in my 55

[​IMG]

And a 283 in my 57

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Above all things, have fun. That's what it's all about. :)