Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Lettering "Record Holder" and year on a new-built tribute?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Brad54, Apr 12, 2014.

1. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

So here's a question for you guys, and I'm really on the fence about it:
    I'm going to build a recreation of a car that was an IHRA national MPH record holder in '63, '64 and '65.

It's a brand new build--the only thing that survives of the original, at least to my knowledge, is a couple of photographs.

Other than front brakes and NHRA-required safety equipment (cage, seat belts, etc.), it will visually be a pretty accurate recreation of the car.

The last pics of the car had "National Record Holder 1963" the same for '64 and '65, and "IHRA Summer Nationals Class Winner" and the year too.

This car isn't that car... so it didn't do those things.
    But the man I'm paying tribute to, did.

So, should I letter the car with those things, or do it otherwise visually correct, as it appeared pre-lettered?

-Brad

2. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

If you also letter on the car somewhere to indicate it's a tribute to that person, I think it would be okay.

3. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Do it. Your car, your rules.

4. Brad,I'm kinda on the fence,if you do letter it as a record holder it would appear that it is being passed off as the real deal,on the other hand if somewhere you make note that the car is a tribute or recreation of the actual car I think it would be OK. HRP

Last edited: Apr 12, 2014

5. your referring to IHRA in your post..they weren't around in the 60's..

(IHRA summer nationals winner)
    Rick

6. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Typo: AHRA.

was a long week, this week and last...

-Brad

7. dadseh

dadseh

Um...... NO.
    Its not your record is it.

8. indyjps

indyjps

If the recreation is dead on, maybe letter it. If its "inspired" by, no. If the original car is still around, no. I'd definately putthe drivers name on the door if it originally there.

9. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

what HRP said. ... In Tribute To

10. Ravenwood

Ravenwood
    from Texas

In my opinion, your question should be answered by a qualified attorney unless you have deep, deep pockets to shell out to anyone--or their heirs--who were associated with the original car and its achievements.

Or else, first obtain documented permission from all of them--not just the permission of a handful of us on this site. ... Just my opinion, as I said before.

Semi-cloning the vehicle could be seen as a tribute. cloning the honors, (without permission) perhaps not.

Don't ask me why I'm gun-shy of unexpected (and unaffordable) law suits. :)

11. NOTHING wrong with paying tribute to, or honoring a memory.

12. The title belongs to the VIN of the vehicle that earned it, (not a fan of clone, tribute, copy cars). Unless you letter it to honor the original vehicle's achievement, it could lead to legal problems

13. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

It's a recreation of my uncle's car. As I said in my original post, the original car is long gone and only exists in photos, as far as I've been able to find out.
    I'm not going to run into legal issues. Good grief.

I'm recreating the car partly because it's just a flat-out bitchin' car--proportions are perfect, lines are perfect... It's just a great, great looking car.
    My uncle is why I'm a car guy--I met him for the first time at the dragstrip when I was 8 years old, and I was hooked ever since.
    So besides building a copy of a car that is really good looking, it'll be paying tribute to him... and being a 3-year national record holder, and a Nationals event winner, is a hell of an accomplishment.

-Brad

14. Brad,I totally missed it was your uncles car.

Go for it! HRP

15. CGkidd

CGkidd

With it being your uncles car I would totally go for it. As said before maybe put some kind of lettering that it is a tribute to him but what a cool thing to be able to do.

16. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I'd say do it, maybe with a decal mentioning the tribute to the real car or something. Lets see some pics.

17. I'd do it, and if it bothers you letter in the fine print, "recreation of"
    I would Just be sure it pulls the same MPH, but that's me :)

18. hot-rod-2

hot-rod-2

I agree with most! Especially that it was in your family. You could put something on the car that reflects that it is a clone of your uncle's car. Is he still alive? He and his family will be so proud!! Good luck, it sounds awesome.

19. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Yes Try and make it look as original as you can.

You could even had the words in small lettering Past Nationals Record Holder if you wanted.

Jimbo

20. pug man

pug man
    from louisiana

I say GO FOR IT!!

21. metalman

metalman

Geez, ya might of mentioned at the start it was your uncle's car you were cloning, make a big difference (least to me) if it's close family or some random car you picked out of an old mag or internet pic!
    Personally I'd letter it just like your Uncle had it with the exception of the record holding info. No dought that was added later (as it broke the records) so it would still be correct without it and I do think since your car didn't hold those records they don't belong there. You haven't said if your uncle still alive, if he isn't I'd put a "in memory of" somewhere on it, maybe in front of were he had his name.
    Oh, yeah, where are the pics, we wanta see!

22. TANNERGANG

TANNERGANG
    BANNED
    from alabama

I'd do it and get a personalized tag that reads....CLONE......and just tell the truth of why the car is there...as a tribute to your uncle.

23. The37Kid

The37Kid

It only becomes a problem if you sell it. Any REAL race car is worth more historicaly and resale money wise. This is a family car so I'd letter it as it was in the last photo. Bob