Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1949 lincoln cosmopolitan

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by choppedeuce, Apr 8, 2014.

1. choppedeuce

choppedeuce
    from redding

Looking for help on my 1949 lincoln cosmopolitan. After driving I then pulling over the gas is boiling. not sure what to do.

2. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Where is the gas boiling? In the Carb, Filter, Tank??? A few ideas that depend on the location of the problem. Move fuel lines away from heat sources, put a phenolic spacer under the carb, increase underhood air flow (louvers, better fan, etc.), moving to a more northerly climate. There are lots of things to do, we need more info though to accurately diagnose the problem. Pics help.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  3. Did you turn the heat down?

4. lincolnlog

lincolnlog
    from Arizona

My 51 does the same thing once its over 100, though only after parked & restarted.

Does it start and drive a while before dying? That's probably the fuel pump and fuel line routing. I moved the incoming gas line to run up along the top of the firewall then down to the pump. I'm considering placing a shield between the pump and the block as well.

At this point it'll only boil when the outside temps are quite hot, and I don't want to be driving anyway!

5. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Could be today's lousy gas is at fault. First be sure all the factory heat shields are in place and the gas lines routed the same as factory, and not near the exhaust. Then, add insulation on the gas line and fuel pump.

It can help in hot weather to add 10% diesel, kerosene or stove oil to your gas. This lowers the boiling point of the gas, and your engine will love it as long as it is a low compression engine like, 7.5:1 or lower which a flathead Lincoln is.

Today's gas is formulated for fuel injection. Fuel injection is always under pressure, therefore they don't have to worry about vapor lock. They have to worry about vaporizing the fuel in the split second between the time it leaves the injector, and goes into the cylinder. This is very different from a carburetor car, and it is one reason older cars have so much trouble with vapor lock these days. Even cars that never had a problem 20 years ago.

6. chop777

chop777

Mr gasket sells a sleeve you can slide over fuel line to keep it cool....
    I would put it on .....Also could it be timing
    ? That would raise the temperature of the engine considerably. .....Also for treating the fuel ad a product called star tron to the gas tank...

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!