Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Bad Nose Job...How do I fix it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deyomatic, Apr 12, 2014.

1. Deyomatic

Deyomatic
    from CT

I always hated the badge on the nose of my '60 F100, so I took it off and discovered a square indentation under it, where the bolt on the badge poked through the hood. I cut a piece of flat stock to fit that and welded it in place and thought I ground it down enough, dressed it with filler until it LOOKED and felt smooth, then when the paint went down it looked like this. The metal under the badge looked like this to begin with, before I messed with it, presumably because Ford knew it would be covered.

Now, the only thing I can think to do is bust out the angle grinder and grind the hell out of it then build it back up with filler, but I wanted to get other ideas before I really mess something up and/or have another tantrum.

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. JD Miller

JD Miller

paint a eyeball there

3. Phucker

Phucker
    from Kansas

That thing will wave at other drivers for you, as you go down the road. :D

Just take it back down, and block it out next time. You should atleast be able to get a cut down block of some sort in there. I also notice the line in the indention, of the hood above the area isnt straight also.

4. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Put a bowtie there.
    [​IMG]

5. Seriously? That "felt smooth" to you? I have one word for you...... GUIDECOAT

[​IMG]

6. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

From the photos, it looks like you've some high metal, those areas above normal contour, and probably some low areas as well. I'd remove all the plastic filler from that area, tap down all the high areas, and bring up the low areas. Check the area with a straightedge or paint stirring stick turned on edge. When you can no longer see or feel any damage swip a slime coat of plastic fill over the repaired area and block with some 36 production paper. Follow this up with some 80 grit, and feather this back with some 180. A couple ta three coats of surfacer and a ''guide'' coat of black primer, blocked with220 ,should have ya headed for paint

7. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

It's a learning curve thing. Now you get to do what I do, which is sand it down and re-do it. It's all about the re-do…

Brian

8. It still looks better than the nose job my ex got...

9. Deyomatic

Deyomatic
    from CT

Not to worry, there is one behind it.

10. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

Don't quit your day job.

11. jack_pine

jack_pine
    from Motor City

It gives you (and me) appreciation for the skill level of people who can do that job ONCE and get it right. I am going to paint a car soon. I am prepared to do it as many times as necessary to get it right. I am prepared for it to look bad after my first try. Within that, I get one of the many satisfying experiences this hobby brings.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

12. Deyomatic

Deyomatic
    from CT

The first attempt looked better, this was after that first attempt annoyed me and I hit it with a file and some 40 grit sandpaper to get it all off. I stopped short of getting all of it off because I wanted to take it out for the spring shakedown. Imagine how great life would be if I was as skilled as some of the dicks on here. You act like "ricers."

13. You know you want to redo it. Just hit er again!

14. Not an easy area to work, but as others above have mentioned, knock down the high spots, block and sand, block and sand, block and sand until it's right. I've been messing around with bodywork for over 40 years and maybe, just maybe I got it right the first time once.

15. adam401

adam401

Im not sure which is worse ;)

16. afaulk

afaulk

Just part of the learning curve as said earlier. Don't despair, a light coat of filler, then block it level, prime, then block again and Viola! yer ready for paint,AGAIN.