Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Weekend in Chicago, what to do?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fopelaez, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Fopelaez

Fopelaez

I'm working this weekend in Chicago, Is there something HAMB related to do this weekend in the Chicago area?
    Regards from.windy city :D

2. kbgreen

kbgreen
    1. Georgia Hambers

Look for my wallet, it's brown. I got pickpocketed there on the L.

in other words - be careful.

3. fast30coupe

fast30coupe
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Illinois

Not hamb related but if you looking for some fine dinning and a great view of the city go to the 95th floor of the John Hancock building called the signature room ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1397278403.235978.jpg

4. stimpy

stimpy

nothing really going on yet spring really starts in may . the Sears , or what ever name they call it now tower has the nice skydeck with the ledge were you can go over the side of the building at 103 floors ( 1/4 mile) above the streets, and depends on were your at in the city as the different sides have different things , its a big town .

5. Buddy Guy's Legends Blues Bar. 700 S Wabash Ave. Fantastic!!

6. indyjps

indyjps

One of the first nice weekends of the year, there should be a lot of people out having a good time. Not much Hamb related I can think of, but I'm an 45 min west in the burbs

7. brenneman

brenneman

You could hit up VooDoo Larrys Shop!1

8. Isn't there a museum of science and industry or such there?

9. Fopelaez

Fopelaez

Thanks guys, i'll hit the streets.

10. The37Kid

The37Kid

Watch your back and don't make eye contact with the locals. Bob

11. Midwest Hot Rods in Plainfield is open saturdays until 1:00. Really nice guys and a lot to see. Some off topic cars there but the owners are real traditional hot rodders.

12. GZ

GZ
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Detroit

Museum of Science and Industry, 57th and Lakeshore Drive. Great museum with some neat cars, trains and planes. The cars are hidden on the bottom floor. Breedlove's Spirit of America is on display there....

The southern part of Michigan Ave is the home to Automobile Row which was where all the great car dealerships were at the beginning of last century. Most of them still exist, the Locomobile dealership is quite impressive.

The Art Institute is amazing but will be packed on the weekend. The Museum of Contemporary Art is also great and a lot more do-able..

Always good Punk and Rockabilly bands going on at anytime during the year. Avoid the touristy stuff in the loop and go the neighborhoods like Wicker Park, Bucktown, River North, Ukranian Village, etc. All within a 5-10.00 cab ride from the center of the city.

With over 2,600 bars, there's no shortage of booze, but, again, the neighborhoods are the place to drink, not the center of the city. If you want some real Chicago bar experiences try places like Exit (late night), Innertown Pub, Gallery Caberet, Liar's Club, Rainbo, the Charleston, Dannys, etc. For the world's best margarita and tacos, try Big Star.

13. Sorry I did not see your post till now . You could have joined us for breakfast . The SW Chicago HAMB & Egger's has met every Saturday morning at 7:00 am since early 2009

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/group.php?do=discuss&group=&discussionid=309

The HAMB & EGGS social page at

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/group.php?groupid=154

Lists some of the breakfast HAMB gatherings held around the country . If you have a meeting and its not listed , please add it to the list.

What part of town are you staying in ?

We have had visitors from England , France , Scandanavia , New York and other parts of the world attend our gathering here in the Chicago burbs.